You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Similar to playing Yaya further up to take advantage of his attacking attributes, I assume.

He might be able to do a good job as a defensive midfielder but what is Sahin best position at Liverpool?

Attack or defense?

Both. That's what a 4-3-3 has to be about, it's what midfield is about really. Allen and Şahin, if he were to arrive, would do both things. One would stay when the other was forward, maybe making the late run.

I agree with all that. Selling Agger would be total lunacy.

I'm also not impressed bu Coates at all. Be amazed if he makes it here and that price was criminal.

I think Coates can make it, he's good on the ball, strong, good aerial ability, good positioning and reads the game well for the most part. He needs to limit his mistakes though. It might be a lack of concentration or nerves messing with him at times. Way too early to write him off though, not at all uncommon for a young CB to make mistakes, and since he's not got much pace to speak of he finds it difficult to repair them. Skrtel was the same up until last season, he was a liability with rash challenges and positional errors.

Both. That's what a 4-3-3 has to be about, it's what midfield is about really. Allen and Şahin, if he were to arrive, would do both things. One would stay when the other was forward, maybe making the late run.

So in the end you would have 4 class midfielders for 3 positions:

1. Lucas (Completely Defensive)
  2. Allen (Providing Defensive Cover and forward runs)
  3. Sahin (Providing Defensive Cover and forward runs)
  4. Gerrard (Completely Attacking midfielder, license to roam)

Sounds like a good balance to have with Jonjo, Henderson and either Spearing or Adam as back up.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
So in the end you would have 4 class midfielders for 3 positions:

1. Lucas (Completely Defensive)
  2. Allen (Providing Defensive Cover and forward runs)
  3. Sahin (Providing Defensive Cover and forward runs)
  4. Gerrard (Completely Attacking midfielder, license to roam)

Sounds like a good balance to have with Jonjo, Henderson and either Spearing or Adam as back up.

Throw in Dempsey to cover Gerrard and some of the other positions at the front, then we're fucking GOLDEN!

I like your Turkish Ş for Sahin.Distinctive and professional. I bet Brendan Rodgers uses it too in his emails and 56 page dossiers about Sahin, I mean Şahin .

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I like your Turkish Ş for Sahin. Distinctive and professional. I bet Brendan Rodgers uses it too in his emails and 56 page dossiers about Sahin, I mean Şahin.

True Ştory.

Love it.

The positions that you are referring to are RW and LW?

Walcott and Adam Johnson.

Yeah, Walcott would do me rather nicely.

I think Coates can make it, he's good on the ball, strong, good aerial ability, good positioning and reads the game well for the most part. He needs to limit his mistakes though. It might be a lack of concentration or nerves messing with him at times. Way too early to write him off though, not at all uncommon for a young CB to make mistakes, and since he's not got much pace to speak of he finds it difficult to repair them. Skrtel was the same up until last season, he was a liability with rash challenges and positional errors.

Fair points dude, but my gut feeling isn't good about Coates.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Any chance you can change your:

Ownership Support Level: Love 'em | Happy | Hopeful | Average | Waning | Low | Get Out:whistle:

Nah, fuck that. Get 'em in first. Then an announcement on the stadium. That'll mean I'm happy.

Carroll wouldn't beenfit from us signing Walcott and/or Johnson if that's what you're saying. Those type of pacy wingers would show up Carroll's weaknesses more than strengths IMO.

Spoke too soon?

Carroll adapting to style | Liverpool News, Fixtures, Results, Transfers | Sky Sports

Brendan Rodgers believes he is seeing evidence of his inherited Liverpool squad, including Andy Carroll, adapting to his preferred style of play but he remains determined to sign more players.

The new Anfield boss on Sunday oversaw a 3-1 victory against Bayer Leverkusen on Merseyside as the Premier League club concluded their pre-season with a win.

Teenager Raheem Sterling opened the scoring in style before Lucas Leiva took another step on his return from injury with a goal and substitute Carroll then added a third.

England international Carroll is not thought to figure in Rodgers' plans and the £35million striker is a target of West Ham United, while a return to Newcastle United is also possible.

"We arrive into next week with a clean bill of health, everyone is training, and they are really embracing the work and it's great to see"

Brendan Rodgers

But Rodgers thinks the tall and powerful 23-year-old, who has been accused of only being able to play in a direct system, showed good skill when turning and firing a comparatively straightforward shot which was fumbled by Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno.

Rodgers said of Carroll on Liverpool's official website: "It was a terrific goal from him. It was a nice, clever piece of play by Charlie Adam as the ball came into him and he flicked it around the corner.

"Maybe eight or nine times out of 10 he would have expected that (the ball) back, but big Andy showed his skill and ability as well.

Wonderful

"He's got stick that he can't play this way, but it was a wonderful piece of skill letting the ball go through his legs, getting the shot on target and tucking the ball away very well. It was very pleasing all round.

"The players had a wonderful idea of the game tactically and I am seeing an improvement every single day in terms of our passing game."

Rodgers' £15million signing, Joe Allen, was in the stands at Anfield to watch the win over Leverkusen having followed his manager to Liverpool from Swansea after a transfer was confirmed on Friday.

And Rodgers, who had already signed another former Swansea player in Fabio Borini, remains determined for the Wales international to not be the final new face at Anfield before the end of August.

He said: "Joe will fit into the group very well. I like technically gifted players, and he is exceptionally technically gifted.

"But I also like good people and he is a very humble young guy. He knows he is 22 years of age and has an awful lot to learn but he will be with us every single day in the journey to make this club better.

"He is a very talented boy and he comes into an excellent group. Hopefully we can add one or two more before the end of the window."

Full of praise

Rodgers was also full of praise for Brazilian midfielder Lucas, who was ruled out from last November after suffering a serious knee ligament injury.

He joked: "He has been brilliant. He is a terrific guy and he is prolific from seven yards with no goalkeeper!

"You have seen the growth of him as a player and a person, and the journey he's been on at this club is incredible. He still feels he has a lot to offer. How I work in liking to play this high, intense pressing and passing game brings on his fitness.

"I think if you look at him now, he is in a real good moment. Hopefully he can stay fit and strong and keep pushing on for us."

I watch Klopp's Dortmund too, he played alongside Bender, as Bender's 'Alonso' in a 4-2-3-1 (it was similar to Masch and Alonso), but you're missing my point: I actually said that "he is the type of player that would be classed as a defensive midfielder in a side like Barcelona or Spain".

Considering Mascherano often plays as a centre back, I think you're going to have a tough job convincing me of my wrongness. I'm not saying he's what Mascherano was under Rafa, because he isn't. I'm saying he'll be the defensive player in a side that we're trying to emulate. It'd be him, Allen and Gerrard in a three. In a 4-2-3-1, it'd be different.

So say Sahin played for Barca, are you saying that he'd play the Busquets role? If so, I have to disagree as his skills would be best utilised playing the Xavi role. He's never played as the most defensive player in any midfield, so to assume he'd do it for us is strange. If anything Allen would play the dm role as he's done so for Wales and TGB, or you know, our best DM Lucas.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
So say Sahin played for Barca, are you saying that he'd play the Busquets role? If so, I have to disagree as his skills would be best utilised playing the Xavi role. He's never played as the most defensive player in any midfield, so to assume he'd do it for us is strange. If anything Allen would play the dm role as he's done so for Wales and TGB, or you know, our best DM Lucas.

Allen wouldn't play the DM role he's play, well, the Allen role. Like he did, you know, for Rodgers, who is, you know, our manager.

Şahin would play the deepest of the three. We'd not have a player in the Mascherano role because we're playing a totally different formation. He has the ability to break up play, but when you're a team with a lot of possession in the final third, which is what we'll be aiming for, that deepest midfielder pushes forward.

You'll see a lot of it in this video:

8Kuu9uLAxMY