You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

Brendan Rodgers must have balls of steel. He has walked into the club on the back of one year's premiership experience and his first act is to virtually sack our record signing. A player he's not bothered to meet and rarely seen play or train in the flesh. Presumably he also has the balls to tell FSG that they've lost £15-20million on their "investment". He's prepared to follow this up by signing a 29 year old flavour of the month player which will upset a goodly proportion of our fans.

As I say,real ballsy!

Or he has been told from on high to get rid of Carroll and/or sign Dempsey? In this case someone in the hierarchy is interfering in football matters. Since there is no-one in the corridors of power who has any idea about football,this would be more than a little alarming.

For me, Dempsey is one of those 'if the price is right' kind of players. I think the lad's a decent enough player and if we could get him for somewhere between £4-6m, I'd be fairly satisfied with that. Anything above that- like the £10m reported in the Mail today- and I'd swerve it.

Seriously, where does the strong Dempsey hatred come from? Because he clashed heads with Bellamy last season? Big fucking wow.

Our fans have become addicted to extremes. They have a constant need to be absoutely fucking delighted, disgusted beyond belief, absoutely livid (e.g with the new matchday programme design) and so on

So unfortunately for Dempsey not enough people are absolutely ecstatic beyond all comprehension at the thought of buying him leaving them with no other choice but to be absolutely seething *uppercuts a baby*

Brendan Rodgers must have balls of steel. He has walked into the club on the back of one year's premiership experience and his first act is to virtually sack our record signing. A player he's not bothered to meet and rarely seen play or train in the flesh. Presumably he also has the balls to tell FSG that they've lost £15-20million on their "investment". He's prepared to follow this up by signing a 29 year old flavour of the month player which will upset a goodly proportion of our fans.

As I say,real ballsy!

Or he has been told from on high to get rid of Carroll and/or sign Dempsey? In this case someone in the hierarchy is interfering in football matters. Since there is no-one in the corridors of power who has any idea about football,this would be more than a little alarming.

Its not like he hasn't seen carroll play. He said the first thing he did when joining the club was to watch dvds of all our matches last season. So he pretty much knows how good or bad carroll is. yeah he hasn't seen him in training, but he's seen him be a shithouse on the pitch plenty of times.

Reds interest in Ba could lead to Carroll deal (From The Northern Echo)

Reds interest in Ba could lead to Carroll deal

8:00am Wednesday 18th July 2012 in Sport By Paul Fraser, Chief Football Writer

SENEGALESE striker Demba Ba could be the key bargaining tool in Newcastle United's attempts to take England's Andy Carroll back to Tyneside.

Liverpool's new boss Brendan Rodgers is attempting to transform the face of the squad he has inherited and as well as offloading Carroll he is keen to give his attack a fresh look.

After landing Fabio Borini from Roma, Rodgers is hoping to bring in Theo Walcott from Arsenal. Sources close to the Anfield club suggest Joe Cole, following the end of his Lille loan, will also have a chance to revive his Merseyside career.

And with Luis Suarez lined up to spearhead Liverpool's attack, Rodgers is ready to offload target-man Carroll at the right price and the aim is to replace him with a more versatile forward.

Ba is one of those under consideration. He was even before it became clear that Newcastle had made an official offer to take Carroll on a season-long loan with a view to a permanent deal at the end of next season.

The 27-year-old, who started and scored the winner in Monday night's friendly with Monaco in Germany, has been the subject of speculation all summer because of a £7m clause in his contract.

That clause is, reportedly, due to expire at the end of the month and Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has stated that he would prefer to keep the former West Ham man next season.

Ads by Google

Free Equifax App

Check Your Credit On Your Mobile With The Equifax App. Download Now!

http://www.equifax.co.uk/app

Lose 4 Stone in 3 Months?

Discover the Shocking Truth About Britain's Hottest Diet...

TrimRecipe.com/Diet

However, it has emerged that Ba will be mentioned by Liverpool in any further discussions which take place about the possible departure of Carroll.

Ba's preference is to play as the figurehead in attack and as well as providing that option he also offers the versatility which Rodgers is seeking from the forwards he has in his squad.

Liverpool are asking £20m for Carroll, but their interest in Ba would help to lower that fee significantly - down to somewhere close to what Newcastle would like to pay for the man they sold for £35m 18 months ago.

Pardew has been looking to bring in a new striker this summer after sanctioning the departures of Leon Best and Peter Lovenkrands.

Newcastle had been in discussions with Twente for their Dutch talent Luuk de Jong, but admitted defeat when the Eredivisie outfit demanded more cash.

And yesterday Borussia Monchengladbach - whose interest and preferred destination of the player was reported in The Northern Echo last month - completed the signing of de Jong. He signed a five-year deal, with the Germans paying £10m-plus a further £2m in add-ons.

After pulling out of the race to sign de Jong, Pardew turned his attention to Carroll. And he said: "That whole process is a little bit more involved with the chairman and the board at Liverpool.

"We have got a great team here, a great squad, and if Andy Carroll comes it will only add to us. It's simple, really.

"Sometimes transfers are done at corporate level. I'm slightly detached from that. It will be what it will be.

"It's been said that he's available and if we are involved, then we will be involved because of the figures, not anything else, because we know he's good enough."

Newcastle's transfer activity does not stop there. They are also closing in on a deal for full-back Mathieu Debuchy.

The France international, also wanted by Inter Milan, has informed Lille he wants to join Newcastle in a £7m deal to team up with Yohan Cabaye.

Debuchy said: "Despite my commitment to Lille - the club is in my heart - I am 100 per cent committed to leaving. I want to leave LOSC. The coach wants to keep me but I will not change my opinion."

And Lille boss Rudi Garcia said: "He has expressed his wish to leave. I understand that. Now we are searching for a possible replacement."

Newcastle have been hoping to sell Danny Simpson, who has 12 months left on his contract, before completing the signature of Debuchy.

But one of the clubs interested in landing Simpson are also looking around. They are known to have been in touch with Nottingham Forest over the possible purchase of Chris Gunter.

As I say,real ballsy!

Carroll is not good enough now and won't be good enough in 5 years, a fcuking blind man could see it

Carroll is not good enough now and won't be good enough in 5 years, a fcuking blind man could see it

He may not be a 35m player, but he isn't a write-off. It was clear at Euro 2012 what he can do with the right service and motivation. Doesn't have to be a starter, but a good option to have. Or do we want all our strikers to be the same?

Seriously, where does the strong Dempsey hatred come from? Because he clashed heads with Bellamy last season? Big fucking wow.

Don't give me the off-field stuff like the rapping and shit either. Most footballers act like twats off the pitch so that's a non-starter right there. Besides, you can let it slide if they're doing the business of a match day.

Am I missing something here? The way people are going on about him on here, you'd think we were signing Gary fucking Neville.

Agree completely, anyone would think we are immune to twat footballers. How? Why? What? They play fucking football, I couldn't give a fuck if they rape goats in the evenings, not my concern.

I bet the same people wouldn't give a fuck about Balotelli, they'd just go 'oh he is mad him, top man'.

Ryan Babel released a fucking rap video, and people loved him for it. "daft bugger, awww".

Why can't you extend the same goodwill to Dempsey? Wait, I can;t hear you, here, let me stop the world from spinning for a moment so that we can hear you properly...

He may not be a 35m player, but he isn't a write-off. It was clear at Euro 2012 what he can do with the right service and motivation. Doesn't have to be a starter, but a good option to have. Or do we want all our strikers to be the same?

He scored 1 goal, did a job after that nothing special. People going on about him in the euros!! wtf, he had plenty of chances to show what he had here, I've seen enough. I'll give him that the service he received was not great. But his movement has been poor, his touch has been terrible, he has been poor at finishing. all the things you look for in a good striker.

it's not that he's a 35m or a 5m player he is not a Liverpool player, never will be.

For me, Dempsey is one of those 'if the price is right' kind of players. I think the lad's a decent enough player and if we could get him for somewhere between £4-6m, I'd be fairly satisfied with that. Anything above that- like the £10m reported in the Mail today- and I'd swerve it.

When was the last time that anyone who has scored 20 goals in England over the previous season was sold for £4-6 million? 1995?

Fair enough if people don't want him but there is little point in suggesting unrealistic figures.

Agree completely, anyone would think we are immune to twat footballers. How? Why? What? They play fucking football, I couldn't give a fuck if they rape goats in the evenings, not my concern.

I bet the same people wouldn't give a fuck about Balotelli, they'd just go 'oh he is mad him, top man'.

Ryan Babel released a fucking rap video, and people loved him for it. "daft bugger, awww".

Why can't you extend the same goodwill to Dempsey? Wait, I can;t hear you, here, let me stop the world from spinning for a moment so that we can hear you properly...

He had one good season!!!

ONE

AND he's 29!!!

If he had 3 good seasons prior to the up coming one, then everyone would be happy. Instead, he had one good season, and a career of mediocrity.

Before last season if we were linked to him 90% of us would be pissed off, and the remaining 10% resigned to buying crap because ''its all we can attract at this stage''.

Signing Dempsey for above 5mil is a waste of money, which could be put to better use buying a better talent, as well as a great way of blocking younger and potentially much better players like Shelvey and Suso.

An attacking midfield role where we can play Gerrard or Shelvey. One is better, the other will be better. Buying him only gets in the way of our youngsters.

Or the support striker, where we can play Gerrard or Suarez, both infinitely better than him.

Yes he has goals in him, but he also has no resale value and no long term worth. Similar to Maxi, except Maxi was a far superior player who came in for peanuts.

We seem to be making the same mistake year after year after year. Buy the flavor of the month, look stupid, lose money, bemoan high wages we need to pay hindering chances of buying better quality.

Don't give me the off-field stuff like the rapping and shit either. Most footballers act like twats off the pitch so that's a non-starter right there. Besides, you can let it slide if they're doing the business of a match day.

Am I missing something here? The way people are going on about him on here, you'd think we were signing Gary fucking Neville.

Spot on as usual mate.

The resentment to what could be a very useful Benayoun-esque addition to our squad baffles me. As you said, for the right price it's a no brainer for me.

Spot on as usual mate.

The resentment to what could be a very useful Benayoun-esque addition to our squad baffles me. As you said, for the right price it's a no brainer for me.

The price isnt right, last i checked i saw a quote of 10mil. That would be wasted money.

This Euro 2012 is becoming a bit of a myth. He had a good game against Sweden and then didn't play much else. When he came on v Italy he was absolutely dire, the usual thing, couldn't control a ball or pass it. Luckily for us (if we're looking to sell), there seems to a general view that he had a good Euros.

Spot on as usual mate.

As was said earlier, it depends what comes with it. on it's own, the signing isn't good enough.

I can understand the reticence over Dempsey's quality. I don't understand the hatred, mind. It's a bit strange.

The price isnt right, last i checked i saw a quote of 10mil. That would be wasted money.

I'd take fuck all notice of reports in the press that speculate or price . Paying 10m would be stupid and goes against everything our owners supposedly value and prioritise in their transfer policy so I've got some faith that we wouldn't go anywhere near that kind of fee.

I also don't think Dempsey would be seen as a key signing. With the departure of Maxi and Dirk, and the possible departures of Carroll, Bellamy and possibly Aquilani, the squad needs reinforcing to the tune of at least 4 or 5 new players. We will be playing in 4 competitions this season. I still think we Have plenty of business yet to do this window. It's still early days.

I'd take fuck all notice of reports in the press that speculate or price . Paying 10m would be stupid and goes against everything our owners supposedly value and prioritise in their transfer policy so I've got some faith that we wouldn't go anywhere near that kind of fee.

That is the nub though! People are prepared to take the reports we are in for him seriously, why stop at the same reported fee, which is £10m? That is far too much and should be spent elsewhere.

Silly season is in full swing.

Have to agree with a couple of posts recently made regarding Dempsey.

Bellamy handbags aside, the guy outperformed every one of our midfielders last year. Probably the year before as well.

Whats not to like? Overpaying would be daft amd hopefully those days are gone but the amount of stick he's getting irrespective of cost is a bit surreal.

Get him in. And dont spend the entire summer doing it

I have very little doubt he'd be good as a stop gap solution for goals from the midfield for one season, but here's the question, what happens afterwards? we sign him for 5-10mil, put him on a 4 year 75k/week package, and two years in we realise that he's not as good as made out, impossible to shift, and its his wages preventing us from signing a younger upgrade.

I have very little doubt he'd be good as a stop gap solution for goals from the midfield for one season, but here's the question, what happens afterwards? we sign him for 5-10mil, put him on a 4 year 75k/week package, and two years in we realise that he's not as good as made out, impossible to shift, and its his wages preventing us from signing a younger upgrade.

Anyone would think you've seen these shit stop gap signings before.

The truth is fsg's actions last year makes these signings look appealing to any manager. Short team gain that saves his own ass but does nothing for the future of the club.

Dempsey will be still sitting on his ludicrous contract long after the md table manager is gone.

He has been at Fulham fro 6 seasons and scored nearly half his 50 goals in the season just gone, if that doesn't scream one season wonder I don't know what does. He is also nearing 30, so knowing us we will end up signing him for 10 mil+ and on silly wages.

Dempsey will be this seasons Konchesky.

Oh how I remember people welcoming the signing of that chump........... just like some seem to welcome Dempsey.

He has been at Fulham fro 6 seasons and scored nearly half his 50 goals in the season just gone, if that doesn't scream one season wonder I don't know what does. He is also nearing 30, so knowing us we will end up signing him for 10 mil+ and on silly wages.

Dempsey will be this seasons Konchesky.

Oh how I remember people welcoming the signing of that chump........... just like some seem to welcome Dempsey.

Thank you.