You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

He had one good season!!!

ONE

he has had one excellent season and has been Fulhams best player for years now,whether he'll perform for us is a different matter mind, I'm not exactly doing cartwheels at the prospect of signing him but not gutted either, I imagine he'll have a decent goal record when ever he plays but not do a right lot else

Dempsey could never be classified as an 'edge of the seat' player. So what possible use would he be to us, should we sign him?

My view is that he will be useful both off the pitch and on the pitch (though never let it be said that we sign a player solely for off the pitch reasons, as that is folly).

Off the pitch - he is America's top player. Some might argue with that view, so let's say he is arguably America's top player! We have American owners. We have an American kit manufacturer. It is not hard to see how this could come together to help with revenue streams and potentially tap a bit more of the American market. I wouldn't want to overstate the case as we're not talking about someone with the profile of Messi or Ronaldo here, but, to go all Tesco for a moment, every little helps!

But that's not enough of a reason to sign a player. So we must look at what his on pitch contribution might be if he comes here.

Whether he starts or not will depend on who else we sign. But for the sake of argument, let's assume he starts as part of a front three with Suarez and Borini. I can see how there would be room for a combative player like Dempsey in that front three. He can press and generally give the defenders no time to settle. Going on reports Borini is also a busy player, and we know what a nuisance Suarez can be, so in terms of defending from the front, pressing the opposition and so on, Dempsey could have his value alongside those two, and the defenders would never settle. Now, neither Suarez or Borini are shrinking violets. They get stuck in. But let's be honest, their physical presence is not something that any defender will be bothered about. Add Dempsey to the mix and suddenly defenders know they might be in a battle. Ask John Terry's cheek bone! So Dempsey presses and he gets stuck in with the physical side of the game. But let's not limit the player to those two attributes alone. He also knows where the net is, and goals win games. I don't expect him to reproduce his Fulham goal haul of last season as soon as he comes, but I will be very surprised if he doesn't score 10 goals or more for us next season, assuming he starts a fair amount of games. That will be very useful, as you would have to think Borini will score, and Suarez, I fancy, will also start scoring with more aplomb. So Dempsey will make a goalscoring contribution, and if there's anything we know about the current side it is this: we don't score enough goals!

What of Dempsey's age? Personally I have no problem with that as it plugs a gap. We have a good number of young players who will hit their peak in coming years. In all likelihood we will be buying more of that ilk. We also have players (Gerrard in particular) who, while still excellent, cannot be said to be in their peak years. So we need someone to come in who will get to work right away and won't be placed in the 'one for the future' bracket. Dempsey's personality seems cocky too, and he will need some of that to succeed at Liverpool. To highlight the importance of that aspect of the game, let's mention Stanley Devastating. Downing could never be described as a world beater, but I actually think he has decent pace and a decent skill set. He should be better for us, but... the fella seems to have no personality that makes him want to grab hold of a game, get stuck in and make his mark. Therefore Downing has attracted the ire of most fans. Dempsey could never be described as a world beater either, but you get the feeling that he is making the most of his talent. He seems the sort who will not hide in the shadows while the game passes him by.

So what about the price? Well, let's wait and see if the deal is done. 10m seems too much to me as he only has one year left on his contract. Hopefully we can get this one done for around 6m. We will see.

As for the rapping and attitude and all the rest of it, who knows what he's really like as a person? And he wouldn't be the first footballer to be a bit of a pillock, if that is indeed the case.

So, all things considered I'm pretty chilled out about the possible Dempsey signing. He will make a contribution if he comes here. Let's relax and see what happens.

The moral compass of TLW.

I salute you for another unbelievably reasonable post. Forgot what those were like.

All bought as young players.

Plus football's not quite the same these days, which is why we haven't bought any Alan Hansen's from Partick Thistle recently.

All unproven at a higher level. If our fans then would have been like they are now those players would have been shot down in flames by some of our supporters before kicking a ball. Add to that the amount of stick that the manager would have taken for not buying the biggest name players at the time.

He has been at Fulham fro 6 seasons and scored nearly half his 50 goals in the season just gone, if that doesn't scream one season wonder I don't know what does. He is also nearing 30, so knowing us we will end up signing him for 10 mil+ and on silly wages.

Dempsey will be this seasons Konchesky.

Oh how I remember people welcoming the signing of that chump........... just like some seem to welcome Dempsey.

The same people that are ludicrously labelling Dempsey a one season wonder seem to be the same people who are up in arms that we didnt sign Siggurdson, who would appear to be an "8 game wonder"

No he bloody hasn't in anyway shape or form been their best player.

Please kindly shut up.

well along with Hangeland I would say he has, 50 goals in six seasons (all aside from last year were as an attacking midfielder or winger) is pretty decent for a player in a side that doesn't score many and he has also improved every season he has been there, not a signing I would be looking to make in all honesty for anything over £5million and then on a relatively short contract and not big wages but not a bad player by any means

Guest ShoePiss

The Dempsey signing is all about price for me, I don't doubt that he can do a job for us, lots of players can. The figures quoted by Fulham would mean it's out of the question for me but we don't actually know what kind of deal is being made. I still say at £6m on a shorter contract it's a good deal.

Guest ShoePiss
And Satansmutt makes a very good point. Why would Rodgers not 'overpay' for GS, a young player with potential, but then sanction a wedge being spent on a 29year old in the last year of his contract?

What is the latest 'rumour' on how much we're prepared to pay for Demspey? I haven't been paying attention.

All unproven at a higher level. If our fans then would have been like they are now those players would have been shot down in flames by some of our supporters before kicking a ball. Add to that the amount of stick that the manager would have taken for not buying the biggest name players at the time.

We did that, too.

And Rush was the most expensive transfer for a teenager ever.

Spot on from G Richards. A sensible reasoned post instead of some of the hysterical nonsense fron queens livid that we haven't signed Messi yet.

In all fairness that isn't helpfull either.

Unless people are choosing to forget, last season we were pretty much saying the same thing about Charlie Adam, squad player, cheap enough, as long as Mata/Turan/Krasnic come, I am quite happy, and we signed Downing, Henderon, Enrique and Bellamy.

It isn't because he isn't Messi, it is because yet again we seem to buying a player who isn't better than what we have at the club, and he who isn't better than other possibilities that are younger, and similarly priced.

If Walcott and Allen arrive, then obvioulsy Dempsey as a signing will be placed in context of a good summer, and a squad strenghtened, but as it stands we are seeing Liverpool move for a player who at best, is solid but not particularly better than what we have, and still no right winger and still no creativity arriving. Considering we have refused to go above £8m for Sigurdson I am pretty pissed that we considering £10m for him. And lets be fair here, there has not been one report that has suggested anything less.

Guest ShoePiss
In all fairness that isn't helpfull either.

Unless people are choosing to forget, last season we were pretty much saying the same thing about Charlie Adam, squad player, cheap enough, as long as Mata/Turan/Krasnic come, I am quite happy, and we signed Downing, Henderon, Enrique and Bellamy.

It isn't because he isn't Messi, it is because yet again we seem to buying a player who isn't better than what we have at the club, and he who isn't better than other possibilities that are younger, and similarly priced.

If Walcott and Allen arrive, then obvioulsy Dempsey as a signing will be placed in context of a good summer, and a squad strenghtened, but as it stands we are seeing Liverpool move for a player who at best, is solid but not particularly better than what we have, and still no right winger and still no creativity arriving. Considering we have refused to go above £8m for Sigurdson I am pretty pissed that we considering £10m for him. And lets be fair here, there has not been one report that has suggested anything less.

So maybe it's better to wait until the transfer window has actually closed before writing players off or getting frustrated. Context.

So maybe it's better to wait until the transfer window has actually closed before writing players off or getting frustrated. Context.

Nope, you judge on what you know. We have all seen enough of Dempsey to judge whether he will improve the team. Some say yes, some say no, we all have the right to do that, without being hysterical and without being questioned.

The problem is, as I made the point, this isn't new we did this last year and spent a shit load of money on shit. And he doesn't stand out as being any better than any of those signed last year, that is why people are getting frustrated.

That first bit is wrong. The £10M bit hasn't happened yet either.

I'm fully aware the £10m bit hasn't happend, hence I said 'not one report which has said anythign less'. If you are prepared to believe the reports linking him are correct, then people shouldn't really start dismissing the cost quoted in those same reports.

And Siggurdson did go for £8m plus, and Rodgers said he would go no higher than what was agreed with Swansea.

I'm fully aware the £10m bit hasn't happend, hence I said 'not one report which has said anythign less'. If you are prepared to believe the reports linking him are correct, then people shouldn't really start dismissing the cost quoted in those same reports.

And Siggurdson did go for £8m plus, and Rodgers said he would go no higher than what was agreed with Swansea.

So, it's not happened, what's the point in getting cheesed off over imaginary figures?

We agreed the same fee of £8M that Spurs did for Gylfi Sigurdsson apparently. We differed on wages.