You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

What is the latest 'rumour' on how much we're prepared to pay for Demspey? I haven't been paying attention.
10m

In all fairness that isn't helpfull either.

Unless people are choosing to forget, last season we were pretty much saying the same thing about Charlie Adam, squad player, cheap enough, as long as Mata/Turan/Krasnic come, I am quite happy, and we signed Downing, Henderon, Enrique and Bellamy.

It isn't because he isn't Messi, it is because yet again we seem to buying a player who isn't better than what we have at the club, and he who isn't better than other possibilities that are younger, and similarly priced.

If Walcott and Allen arrive, then obvioulsy Dempsey as a signing will be placed in context of a good summer, and a squad strenghtened, but as it stands we are seeing Liverpool move for a player who at best, is solid but not particularly better than what we have, and still no right winger and still no creativity arriving. Considering we have refused to go above £8m for Sigurdson I am pretty pissed that we considering £10m for him. And lets be fair here, there has not been one report that has suggested anything less.

I didn't say everyone with doubts about the potential signing is a hysterical queen. I'm talking about the posts claiming he is little more than a signing by the board, a cunt or whatever else he has been called. G Richards states a balanced post with valid and thought out reasons why there could be sense in signing Dempsey.

What's annoying me is this underlying tone I read in some posts that FSG are Hicks and Gillett II, on a mission to run us in to the ground. I'm not saying we should be blindly optimistic but it's ok to have a bit of faith in them. At the very least they'll be wanting what's best for the club, success, increasing the value of their investment.

I understand the comparisons with Adam but don't really agree with them. Demspey has been around the division for a few years now. Yes his goal scoring record last season was a lot better than previous but he was playing in a much more advanced role than he had before. And last summer FSG backed the manager handsomely. They trusted the managers judgement and sanctioned the signings which have gone on to cost Dalglish/Commoli their jobs.

Some key senior players have departed this summer, a few still may follow them out the door. Borini and Demspey won't be the sum total of our dealings this window.

So, it's not happened, what's the point in getting cheesed off over imaginary figures?

Well if you bothered to read back a few pages (awaits smart arsed comment about not reading the same shite) you will see that myself, alongside a few others, made the point that if he is signed for a lot less than the quoted fee that changes everything.

And that is what was quoted, that fee quoted is what we are basing our judgements on, or we may as well just dismiss his potential signing altogether because it hasn't happened yet.

Guest ShoePiss
Nope, you judge on what you know. We have all seen enough of Dempsey to judge whether he will improve the team. Some say yes, some say no, we all have the right to do that, without being hysterical and without being questioned.

The problem is, as I made the point, this isn't new we did this last year and spent a shit load of money on shit. And he doesn't stand out as being any better than any of those signed last year, that is why people are getting frustrated.

I'll wait until we've finished our dealings, £10m is too much for him and there's better out there for that price but nobody knows what we're willing to pay for him. We could be saying £6m or nothing and I'd be happy with that.

It's best to wait and see.

What's annoying me is this underlying tone I read in some posts that FSG are Hicks and Gillett II, on a mission to run us in to the ground. I'm not saying we should be blindly optimistic but it's ok to have a bit of faith in them. At the very least they'll be wanting what's best for the club, success, increasing the value of their investment.

I understand the comparisons with Adam but don't really agree with them. Demspey has been around the division for a few years now. Yes his goal scoring record last season was a lot better than previous but he was playing in a much more advanced role than he had before. And last summer FSG backed the manager handsomely. They trusted the managers judgement and sanctioned the signings which have gone on to cost Dalglish/Commoli their jobs.

Some key senior players have departed this summer, a few still may follow them out the door. Borini and Demspey won't be the sum total of our dealings this window.

That is fair enough, and a cracking post also. I think I am pretty fair over signings but after last year I am very concerned over what is happening.

However I think you are spot on with the negativity surounding FSG, the fact that they are not focussed soley upon getting the stadium built (as Hicks and Gillett were), and don't want to saddle the club with a large, unworkable debt speaks volumes to me about their long term committment to the club. They sanctioned a big spending spree last season and got little or nothing in return, they have every right to demand better care and more focuss from this window.

I think the decision to employ Rogers is brave, and one that has me quite excited, but I am like you, a little bit concerned at the negativity surrounding him which isn't coming primarily from sky fans but from seasoned reds who seem to be pissed that Kenny was let go.

If Walcott and Allen arrive then Dempsey will work, but I think our priorty has to be a right forward with pace, and until I see that position addressed then I will have my concerns. But again, if money is the issue then none of our transfer fund should be spent on squad players, not even £5m.

I'll wait until we've finished our dealings, £10m is too much for him and there's better out there for that price but nobody knows what we're willing to pay for him. We could be saying £6m or nothing and I'd be happy with that.

In all fairness, I would be happy with that outcome.

It's best to wait and see.

Nah, whinge and moan now, incessantly!

Eh? Sorry mate, couldn't make sense of the post up there, and was looking for you to resolve your post.

He is saying, if we (the fans) are to believe that the Dempsey link is genuine, then we have to believe the prices quoted are also. £10m seems to be the general consensus and, as we have no conflicting information, we have to go with that.

You either believe the whole story, or none of it. You can't just cherry pick the snippets that suit. And that's a general 'you'.

He is saying, if we (the fans) are to believe that the Dempsey link is genuine, then we have to believe the prices quoted are also. £10m seems to be the general consensus and, as we have no conflicting information, we have to go with that.

You either believe the whole story, or none of it. You can't just cherry pick the snippets that suit. And that's a general 'you'.

That's silly

I've seen lots of cheaper prices quoted. Liverpool's haggling skills don't fill me with much confidence but that's a bit steep for his age.

Guest ShoePiss

Believing a link is real and that figures quoted may be coming from the selling club and as such should be taken with a pinch of salt is reasonable.

Your logic is fucked, shocked.

Our fans have become addicted to extremes. They have a constant need to be absoutely fucking delighted, disgusted beyond belief, absoutely livid (e.g with the new matchday programme design) and so on

So unfortunately for Dempsey not enough people are absolutely ecstatic beyond all comprehension at the thought of buying him leaving them with no other choice but to be absolutely seething *uppercuts a baby*

On the money.

From the Guardian

Clint Dempsey deserves an optimistic welcome from Liverpool

Pay no heed to misgivings over Liverpool's proposed new signing – the American international is a ferocious competitor

Two pairs of words have been prominent in the reaction to the news that Liverpool seem poised to sign Clint Dempsey once they remember to get the go-ahead from Fulham. One of those pairs has no business being bandied about, viz. Charlie Adam. The other pair is more pertinent: Brendan Rodgers.

The reference to Adam has been made by people who believe Liverpool have been seduced by one fine season into coveting a player who cannot reasonably be expected to bring Liverpool nearer to the level they aspire to play at. Such people should be sworn at like cold callers.

Because although last season was Dempsey's most productive, he has been an excellent performer in the Premier League for the best part of five years. Furthermore, where Adam's most obvious failing is a lack of mobility for which his attempts to atone lead him to strain, lunge and generally become clumsy, Dempsey is a genuine dynamo, the second most prolific tackler among forwards in the Premier League for each of the past three seasons and covering more ground than prize horse manure.

Tenacity and energy are Dempsey's first two defining traits and also the founding blocks of the style that Rodgers will seek to build, if his old Swansea City side were anything to go by. The drive that has already propelled Dempsey from his relatively disadvantaged roots in a small town in East Texas to the top of the MLS and then the Premier League ensure that he will not be rendered as meek by Anfield expectations as, say, Stewart Downing and young Jordan Henderson appear to have been.

This is a ferocious competitor who has played matches with a broken jaw and gone into challenges hard enough to fracture John Terry's cheekbone. A seasoned American international, he will be fazed neither by the stature of Liverpool nor the amount of off-the-ball work that Rodgers will demand.

That is the foundation. Dempsey, of course, offers much more on top. His well-timed surges, dangerous shooting and knack for the audacious and unpredictable mean he could help overcome the dependency on the undependable Luis Suárez for goals. His intelligence and instincts make him adaptable: while it is easy to see him slotting in on either side of the front of a Swansea-style 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2, at Fulham he also proved his usefulness as a shape-shifting No9 long before Cesc Fábregas showcased the role at Euro 2012.

Dempsey would deserve to be greeted at Liverpool by the same sort of optimism that Joe Cole's arrival inspired a couple of years ago: and since he is a more intelligent and influential footballer than Cole, the feelgood factor should last a lot longer. At 29, he hardly represents the far future of the club but he could play a significant role in setting it on the right path.

It's shit like this that makes me lose all faith that our fanbase has any intelligence at all.

I'll save you some time - they don't.

We used to have one of the smartest fanbases around. Now we have one of the thickest.