Quantcast
Full Metal Jacket.. - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content

..has got it all; soundtrack, script, quotes and characters.

It is two of the most complete films ever made in my humble opinion.

It really is 2 distinct films. The first film has some of the greatest dialogue ever committed to celluloid (R. Lee Ermey, who played Sgt. Hartman, apparently went on a 10 minute improved rant at Marines as part of his screen test, and the stuff in the movie is tame by comparison) and is very jarring in its depection of how Marines are dehumanised prior to battle. The second part is a visceral allegory of the futility of the Vietnam War with some superb set pieces. Great great work by Kubrick.

Now show me your war face.

The first part is better. I'd love to have seen an alternative version where private pile gets some action in nam. He was quite the rifleman after all.

Boss film. Love it

It really is 2 distinct films. The first film has some of the greatest dialogue ever committed to celluloid (R. Lee Ermey, who played Sgt. Hartman, apparently went on a 10 minute improved rant at Marines as part of his screen test, and the stuff in the movie is tame by comparison) and is very jarring in its depection of how Marines are dehumanised prior to battle. The second part is a visceral allegory of the futility of the Vietnam War with some superb set pieces. Great great work by Kubrick.

Now show me your war face.

1) How is it a "jarring" depection (sic)?

2) How is it an allegory (visceral or otherwise)?

Have you just come across some words and decided to just lob them all into a post because they sounded good?

At the very least, look up "allegory", because a film that is actually about the Vietnam war is hardly a great "allegory" about...the Vietnam war.

1) How is it a "jarring" depection (sic)?

2) How is it an allegory (visceral or otherwise)?

Have you just come across some words and decided to just lob them all into a post because they sounded good?

At the very least, look up "allegory", because a film that is actually about the Vietnam war is hardly a great "allegory" about...the Vietnam war.

Of course I'm talking shite! What is your major malfunction?

Are you quitting on me? Well, are you? Then quit, you slimy fucking walrus-looking piece of shit! Get the fuck off of my obstacle! Get the fuck down off of my obstacle! NOW! MOVE IT! Or I'm going to rip your balls off, so you cannot contaminate the rest of the world! I will motivate you, Private Pyle, IF IT SHORT-DICKS EVERY CANNIBAL ON THE CONGO!

Private Joker: [voice-over] My thoughts drift back to erect nipple wet dreams about Mary Jane Rottencrotch and the Great Homecoming Fuck Fantasy. I am so happy that I am alive, in one piece and short. I'm in a world of shit... yes. But I am alive. And I am not afraid.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: How tall are you, private?

Private Cowboy: Sir, five-foot-nine, sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Five-foot-nine, I didn't know they stacked shit that high!

Boom and there it is.

Guest TK-421
Of course I'm talking shite!

Then how about getting with the program? Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?

Then how about getting with the program? Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?

Well, pilgrim, only after you eat the peanuts outta my shiiiiiit!

Kubrick's hit rate, or rather classic rate, is goddamn scary as he also helmed 2001, Spartacus and The Shining; all have inspired but not been bettered. We're lucky he was an anglophile and stayed here.

Kubrick's hit rate, or rather classic rate, is goddamn scary as he also helmed 2001, Spartacus and The Shining; all have inspired but not been bettered. We're lucky he was an anglophile and stayed here.

Why are we lucky he stayed here? He was a fucking recluse, it didn't matter where he lived.

Texas? Holy dogshit, only steers and queers come from Texas, and you don't look much like a cowboy, so that kind of narrows it down.