You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Strike Action

Sugar Ape

6 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I prefix this with the statement that I love being a teacher. Easily the best job I've ever had. However, it's 12+ hour days. I get to work around 7.30 and rarely leave before 5. Then usually another 2-3 hours when I get home and the kid is in bed. At times it increases from that as well e.g. reports, exam weeks, SAT preparation. At times there is a lot of stress and pressure from management and parents to deal with as well. It's easy to see why so many young people go into it and burn out within a few years. I'm in my 3rd year and have already come across 3 teachers in their 20s who have left the proffession. I didn't start til my 30s and feel I'm a lot better equipped for it. 

The upside is obviously the holidays which are great, but also needed due to the stress and work load. The job is rewarding with the children too, never a dull day and no better feeling then knowing you've help a child do their best. 

This will boil down to teachers being greedy, ungrateful and lazy when it kicks off. 

You know yourself mate, as my daughter does, it's a vocation not a job.

She teaches special needs kids which must be difficult but she says is very rewarding.

I just wish that teachers were as good in my day as things could have been very different for me.

5 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Dempsey, Lynch and their crew are doing a hell of a job representing their members. On TV they come across very well and are having to field all sorts of divisive shit. 

They are very impressive

Despite the obvious tactic of trying to guilt trip them

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

They are very impressive

Despite the obvious tactic of trying to guilt trip them

Ann Widdecombe looked appalled that Dempsey had the temerity to challenge the absolute guff she was coming out with.

The presenter, on the other hand, was simply too dimwitted to deal with the quite obvious shouting in her ear she was getting from the producer to readdress how the show was going. 

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

I do feel a mood change, hopefully not just wishful thinking, despite all the usual propaganda that people are supporting these strikes and also any future strikes from other unions. 

The irony of clap for NHS workers may actually back fire as it was pointed out how important these workers actually are to society and not just work shy hard left militants.

Yeah, I think there's more empathy with strikers saying "we've not had a payrise for years, while our bosses are living it up" because tens of millions of people are in the same boat.

On 22/07/2022 at 22:23, AngryOfTuebrook said:

On a selfish note, us in the defence sector won't be troubled by that as SC takes fucking ages to be processed, granted and even then, the training before you're allowed near an aircraft is unreal; not to mention the induction process.

We threatened strike action last year and the company shit themselves, after calling our bluff, at a 90% vote in favour of strike action and 95% in favour of action short of a strike. They didn't want the Americans getting wind of it. The day after, the VP of US Programmes was in wanting to talk to the union.

That was always going to happen the minute Tarry he left the house this morning. There's a bit of discomfort in my head, which is cognitive dissonance resulting from simultaneously thinking Tarry did the right thing and thinking Starmer had no choice but to sack him. He put himself in the position where he'd have to take action if somebody broke ranks, now the proof of that particular pudding will be in the eating of the next election.