You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

"The dwarf lives until we find a cock merchant..."

Jesus wept.

Yep, couldn't believe that line, just awful, if I hadn't of enjoyed the previous seasons so much I would have just about given up on this one now, been a poor season IMO, the last four episodes have an awful lot to do .

Isn't there a separate thread where all of the read the book biffs can post their spoilers? Natch thought this was just TV spoilers. Boooo. Don't read this if you haven't read the books. Potentially series-ruining spoiler within.

Hence why I put it tags, you flaming jamook!

People be showing off just because they can read.

Aye. 

The books sound horrendous. Whole chapters told from one character's perspective, overly long, whole swathes where fuck all happens and the storylines becoming increasingly befudled. Bollocks to that, at least if an episode is shite I've only wasted an hour and seen some tits.

Unfortunately the 5th book on which this is based is meant to be as dull as dishwater. Without heading off on a tangent I'm not sure what else the writers could do.

Book 5 is incredibly dull, agree with you when you say there isn't much the writers can do. Being honest I find all of the books a bit of slog at times.

I'm sure i've read somewhere that they have a bit of a blank canvas to work with from now anyway with a loose framework provided by Martin regarding end games for certain characters. The pace at which the books have been written pretty much demands it so i think we'll see a pretty dull season this time followed by better stuff from next year.

I think I've worked out my issue with the current series. 

It seems to me that so far, certainly up to the end of episode four, they tried to over dramatise too many scenes, many perhaps cut short to give a cliff hanger feel.  It's not as rounded, previous series had plenty of room for slow scenes, ones filled with dialogue that appeared to go nowhere or serve no apparent purpose. There's a lot less of that this year, it's all been a bit "forced" and I can only think it's due to the source material being less interesting so they've had to jazz up the TV show, but I think they've misjudged it a bit, the balance is off.

Also there's some scenes that the writers have not done enough with, for example no scene with Arya and Jaqen should ever be dull but a couple of them have been just that.

Not really any spoilers in Paulie's post. Most of what he's put there that people might consider spoilers is his own guesswork on where things are going not what the books said was going to happen.

Thank you.

And at the end of the day it's in tags, it was your choice to read it.

So, "Doesn't John Snow die in this book?" isn't a spoiler?

Not really. I suppose it's spoiling that there may be a moment when it'll come into question though. Think that's why he asks, as he's none the wiser.

Putting people's minds at rest that little has been spoilt there for them rather than defending Paulie. Pretty much all of what he said is just guesswork and even goes against the books (which are now being increasingly ignored it seems).

I don't know what the thinking was behind cutting his hand off, aside from continuing with the 'anything can happen' shock vlaue, it basically halved his characters credibility and value.

Stopped him being an arsehole, as he said 'he was that hand'. The source of all his confidence.

This series has certainly toned down the nausea contained in the novels with regard to the King of Dorne’s favourite pass time and Ramsey’s nuptials.

The implied paedophilia of the King has been understandably omitted. However, Ramsey’s wedding night was disappointingly lame.

The Reek/Ramsey relationship is one of the most horrific plotlines of the novel. In the book, Ramsey’s wedding night was utterly gross and his consequential intention for Reek a real stomach churner.

For HBO to reduce the nuptials to a back-scuttle rape, watched by Reek, was pathetic.

With any luck, the original treatment will appear in a future episode.

This series needs it, if only to establish Ramsey’s credentials as the vilest of Martin’s characters and maintain the level of shock and disbelief of earlier episodes.

Considering how awful the last two books were (it's only the final third of the last book which starts to shine with the kind of quality that the earlier ones had) HBO have done well.  A lot of the additional characters and story lines had been ignored which in my eyes is a good thing but the fact remains, not an awful lot happens and there is nothing HBO can do about that. I think it will be the next series when things really start to kick off. I do have this theory but as I don't know how to do the spoiler tags I'll leave it for now. 

Stopped him being an arsehole, as he said 'he was that hand'. The source of all his confidence.

Jon Snow has enough 'good will to all men' to go around, he's a Lannister, he should be a cunt, Tyrion should have been the sole Lannister with a concience, I just can't be arsed with his character at all now, he needs to push another kid out the window.