You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

if we pay £19m for Downing we will be the laughing stock of any Manc, Chelsea, Arsenal or City fan

after Mata's displays in the U21's City will pay £25m for him

if Mata goes to City I would love to get Adam Johnson off of them rather than Downing from Villa

i'd pay £20m for Adam Johnson no problem

Oh no, really?

Fuck.

I really hope we get Downing. Obviously we will rightly take our time and try to negotiate a good price, but I think he'd be really good for us.

Once you've shown that you will pay vastly inflated prices for players, it's hard to suddenly reverse that policy, as the selling clubs know to hang on for more.

----------------------------------------------------------------

It'll depend on what Spurs will pay. Villa will accept a lesser bid as long as there is nothing else on the table.

Will Spurs jump the queue with a larger bid? I doubt it, not after the scarf pic.

My only hope left in the transfer window is that we do not buy any more "promising" English players. Largely because (a) they are grotesquely overpriced and (b) they're not that good.

I hear we want this Wickham kid for £10M, and Downing for £19M. It's probably tabloid crap but after the silly money we spent on Carroll and Henderson, it won't surprise me if there's some truth to this.

Commoli needs to sort his shit out if these rumours are true.

I like Santi Cazorla, but his has a really high buyout clause for 28m euros.

Spanish buyouts are actually set at a price a lot higher than what they will sell for i.e the top players will be a few hundred million if Cazorla's is really 28mil I'd fancy us to get him for 15mil

Is it just me or does anyone else feel entirely underwhelmed at the prospect at buying Downing for £18 - £20 million? Don't get me wrong if we were going to be buying for about £10 million and we were also going for a top world class player as well then I could live with that.

I think Downing will do us until / if we get back into the top 4, after that he will be no better than an expensive bench warmer which will be good for squad rotation, when we need a squad to compete in both the league and the CL.

If that meeting with half a dozen villa fans is correct and it looks like it is. It would be surprising if Mcleish's first act is to lie to the fans about their player of the year. He said Villa would only sell for 50 million, which is basically saying he ain’t for sale.

Villa are going to force Downing to stick in a transfer request, that's all they're doing. They know he wants to leave.

Villa are going to force Downing to stick in a transfer request, that's all they're doing. They know he wants to leave.

Young's departure leaves them in a much better position to either shaft us financially or appeal to his good pro nature and get him to commit for another season.

They need some good PR given the last few weeks so we'll be made bide our time. I'm sure they still remember our unsettling of Barry too.

The best case scenario for us is that we get him but pay a lot more than he's worth. Good player, but we shouldn't be held to ransom.

Young's departure leaves them in a much better position to either shaft us financially or appeal to his good pro nature and get him to commit for another season.

They need some good PR given the last few weeks so we'll be made bide our time. I'm sure they still remember our unsettling of Barry too.

The best case scenario for us is that we get him but pay a lot more than he's worth. Good player, but we shouldn't be held to ransom.

Villa have no 'position' here. Downing won't sign a new contract, and he's going to be shipped out next summer for less, as it'll be his final year.

They need him to sign a new contract to have any bargaining strength. All Downing has to do is stick in a transfer request, and suggest that he'd sooner lick a dead elephant's rotting balls, in regards to a new contract.

I totally agree that he wants to come here and the club want him here. I just feel Downing will end up being a victim of circumstances unless something drastic happens.

Let us not forget Barry put in a transfer request and we all know how that ended.

As I said they got good money for Young and Barry with one year on their deals. We got good money for Crouch.

Villa have no 'position' here. Downing won't sign a new contract, and he's going to be shipped out next summer for less, as it'll be his final year.

They need him to sign a new contract to have any bargaining strength. All Downing has to do is stick in a transfer request, and suggest that he'd sooner lick a dead elephant's rotting balls, in regards to a new contract.

I totally agree that he wants to come here and the club want him here. I just feel Downing will end up being a victim of circumstances unless something drastic happens.

Let us not forget Barry put in a transfer request and we all know how that ended.

No player ever leaves a club whilst under contract unless his club is happy with the deal.

No player ever leaves a club whilst under contract unless his club is happy with the deal.

Yes, and fucking over one of your players isn't likely going to win you accolades with your other players, especially gifted ones like Albrighton... who may just not sign a new contract, because he wants to join a big club some day, and he's witnessed how Villa handles that situation.

There are shades of happiness though. Ideally they'd like him to stay. If they do sell, they will have to consider the length of time left on his contract when naming a price as they don't want to risk any player leaving in a free. Its not as clear cut as Villa naming the terms of the sale. Hence why there are likely to be 'negotiations'.

They can be 'happy' that they made the best of a bad situation.

Yes, and fucking over one of your players isn't likely going to win you accolades with your other players, especially gifted ones like Albrighton... who may just not sign a new contract, because he wants to join a big club some day, and he's witnessed how Villa handles that situation.

That is the sort of fan orientated overreacting shite I'd expect of worst posters than you mate.

Everything is about the club and not a single player, exactly the way it should be. If a club sells a player when he's got a year left on his contract and has handed in a transfer request I can fucking assure you they are not doing it for his sake.

They are doing it in the best interest of the club.

There are shades of happiness though. Ideally they'd like him to stay. If they do sell, they will have to consider the length of time left on his contract when naming a price as they don't want to risk any player leaving in a free. Its not as clear cut as Villa naming the terms of the sale. Hence why there are likely to be 'negotiations'.

Completely agree.

It's the idea that handing in a transfer request makes a massive difference that annoys me. Yes, it is a bargaining tool but no player under contract leaves a club without that club agreeing to it.

Guest ian garro
It's the idea that handing in a transfer request makes a massive difference that annoys me. Yes, it is a bargaining tool but no player under contract leaves a club without that club agreeing to it.

Doesn't it mean the player forfeits any outstanding 'loyalty' bonuses and other such shite, meaning the club make more money on the deal, thereby 'greasing the wheels' a bit more, so to speak ?

I think that's the only difference it could make really, as apart from that, if the club don't want to sell, I doubt they'd give a fuck about a transfer request.

Doesn't it mean the player forfeits any outstanding 'loyalty' bonuses and other such shite, meaning the club make more money on the deal, thereby 'greasing the wheels' a bit more, so to speak ?

I think that's the only difference it could make really, as apart from that, if the club don't want to sell, I doubt they'd give a fuck about a transfer request.

Yes, if a player hands in a transfer request they lose a loyalty bonus that increases the 'value' to the club of selling the player. That will only ever come into effect though if that matches the clubs valuation of the player.

I totally agree with this.

That is the sort of fan orientated overreacting shite I'd expect of worst posters than you mate.

Everything is about the club and not a single player, exactly the way it should be. If a club sells a player when he's got a year left on his contract and has handed in a transfer request I can fucking assure you they are not doing it for his sake.

They are doing it in the best interest of the club.

I don't argue that they'll act in best interest of the club, Im suggesting that its in the best interest of the club to get rid of a player that wants to go. There are long term ramifications for these things... Players aren't chess pieces; Players are human beings, and they want what is best for them above all else. Treat the players well, and they'll try to seem like they are treating the club well.

Boro made Downing stick in a transfer request to leave. Spurs wanted him, he wanted to go there, and Boro rejected his transfer request.

Of course, 'Arry said the offer 'big' but I don't remember any specific numbers.

He joined Villa six months later for 10m + add ons of 2m.

I totally agree with this.

I don't argue that they'll act in best interest of the club, Im suggesting that its in the best interest of the club to get rid of a player that wants to go. There are long term ramifications for these things... Players aren't chess pieces; Players are human beings, and they want what is best for them above all else. Treat the players well, and they'll try to seem like they are treating the club well.

Boro made Downing stick in a transfer request to leave. Spurs wanted him, he wanted to go there, and Boro rejected his transfer request.

Of course, 'Arry said the offer 'big' but I don't remember any specific numbers.

He joined Villa six months later for 10m + add ons of 2m.

I agree with what I have bolded, but it is in the clubs best interestonly if they get offered the money they want.

I disagree with the figures on Downing going to Villa (based purely on my Villa supporting uncle) but why would this situation be so different to any other?

If a club doesn't get the money they want they do not sell. Simple as that.

Yeah, but they club has to be reasonable. Downing's valuation can't be ridiculous.

I still think we'll get him for under 20m(probably 17m if their demands are anything like the Barry situation), and we'll be overpaying then... but not grossly.

This is where I massively disagree, the club can be as unreasonable as they want.

If they feel they could get a UEFA cup spot with Downing in the side then why not add another £10m on his price? Was that not how posters on here justified the cost of Carroll?