You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

You know what's the thing though mate, there's a very, very big gap between "the best players" and Stewart Downing & Charlie Adam. There are quite a few levels of players between the 'world class players' and 'overpriced, overrated British mediocrity' bracket, that we should be looking at.

Let's see your shortlist then, don't keep us in the dark.

whiskeyjar your pictures are always crap and out of context.

It's his thing.

Two fresh rumours from twitter:

We have made a bid for Phil Jones (22million) to be confirmed in the back of Daily Mail apparently and

Hemsik was seen Liverpool (for whom about 4 days we made a bid for about 45 milllion euros)

If you mean Hamsik from Napoli I think he is very overrated .

Let's see your shortlist then, don't keep us in the dark.

Cabaye & Gervinho, both from Lille, one has already signed for fucking Newcastle, and the other was reportedly close to signing as well.

If you're asking me who i would sign personally then that's pointless, i don't like getting involved in the futile footy manager discussions, hence I gave you examples of players who have already gone elsewhere, hell look at Suarez, I'm supposed to be shocked we got him I guess. Look at the amount of good players going to Malaga for decent fees.

You guys may well keep making the point that we can't attract better, and I'll just keep merrily believing that we can. Call me deluded.

I do just for the satisfaction of pissing them off big time.

Well the confirm bids were 16.5 from Man U and Arsenal and we have just came in with 22 million.

He has already decided to go to Man United so there is no reason why he would accept any other club coming in for him. Of course this might change during the U-21 tournament when Henderson might tell him about us.

Oh, boo fucking hoo.

Nobody who had even half a fucking clue about anything thought that Budgie was anything other than a disastrous appointment.

It's no great badge of honour saying that he would be the worst Liverpool manager of all time. NOBODY wanted him to be appointed Liverpool manager.

Oh but they fucking did! Some very prominent members of this forum screamed for the good stout Englishman to be given the job.

According to an Arsenal blog on Twitter who seem to be pretty well respected (looks like they've called stuff in the past) are saying it was premature for the Mirror to say Arsenal are signing Alex Oxlade Chamberlain because Liverpool are now in for him in 'a big big way'

Chamberlain, Clichy & Sahko. Liverpool 3 - 0 Arsenal!

Horus? "Highlight one point I've made that you could call deluded. Just one."

Really? Well since you Invited us to effectively "take up the cudgels?" Far be it for Me to refuse you;

Here Ya Go;

"we need better than Downing to break back into the top 4

Really? This from the fan of a club (us) who've had No wingers so to speak of since the Permacrock Kewell came off the books back in 2008? So you'd turn down a man who scored the winner the last time we met his team? A winger whose behind virtually Every good thing Villa Did last season and who was Far more vital to them than the unintelligent Young or the overrated Milner Ever Was? OK. Just as well the King knows FAR more about the game than You or I ever could no? See what you're forgetting my friend Is? It's not always about getting the most expensive players but instead? The Right ones. That is vital in constructing a title winning side and Kenny Knows this having done it Four times already which is More than Any other manager here bar one. Remember his Blackburn side? The likes of Ripley, Sutton, Le Saux, Sherwood, Flowers and Hendry All starred in that side but? They weren't a Patch on the Godlike collection of Liverpool 'Untouchables' that Stormed the title under the Same manager in 1988 and which was the final result of the distilled title-winning experience and combined abilities of nearly Two decades of Liverpool Players and League Domination but Why were his Blackburn so different?

Because they Couldn't be the same as that Liverpool side - They didn't Need to be - That Blackburn side were Frighteningly efficient in gathering points and I suspect? That OUR next title winning side (and there Will be one) will be the same as that Blackburn team were or at least? Very similar; In short? We don't Need a Liverpool '88" style side yet although it would be nice of course - We just need A league title - Kenny knows this and will construct a team to meet that (great) need. It might Not be Chock-Full of superstars? But it Will? Be Far more than the sum of it's parts and (knowing Kenny) a Very efficient & hard to beat side indeed; So in the end? If he deems a player like Downing as More suitable to such a side than an Ashley Young or other such name? Who are We to argue?

"Also Dann is no better than Skrtel and Clichy can be a bit of a liability"

Well, You said one but THAT gem? Makes two (maybe 3?) - It was pathetic; Dann was Far more consistent than Skrtel in the last season the two were regulars in our and Brum's sides (2009 - 2010). He helped Birmingham to a 20 odd match unbeaten run and 3rd place in the league for long periods over Winter '09 and Early '10 - His Absence is probably a Huge reason WHY Birmingham went down This time out. Clichy a liability? Well that remains to be seen no? Having a manager in Wenger without a fcuking Clue on How to organise a Defence (ala Graham did for them) might Just of contributed to Clichy's supposed 'lack' of defensive nouse no? Anyway, even With Clichy there & managed by Wenger? Arsenal haven't been out the Top 4 for How long now? Think you were rather wide of the mark there mate TBF.

Still whatever happens and whoever we get? I trust Kenny - He not only won the league with us and Blackburn but got Newcastle 2nd after Keegan went Andto 2 Cup Finals which given the Pantomime That club has been since? Qualifies as Major success and something of a couple of minor miracles no? He might Not be a license for Silverware managing a team but who is? However, I Do think that having Kenny? Is Damn close (or the next best thing) to such a license; He's THE best managerial brain in the PL bar only one; As to Him? Well, even he's no Better Than Kenny - And he knows it now - Just look at How spiteful his 'club' have become in recent weeks. Wonder why That could be hmm? Stranger and stranger...............

I second that request. I'm dying to hear about all these great players we can realistically get without CL football.

Modric was one of the most sought after players in European football when he signed for Spurs. Everyone was standing by waiting to see who was goping to buy him. Spurs didn't hang about - they bought him. Oh, they also didn't have CL football.

We have money ready to go now, chances are, as no one really knows their business yet (as the movement hasn't started), we could steal a march on someone like Mata and get it wrapped up whilst the other teams are still waiting to see whats happening with Sanchez.

I think Mata would come here without CL football. He's a level below the Agueros of this world, and a level above the Downings.

According to an Arsenal blog on Twitter who seem to be pretty well respected (looks like they've called stuff in the past) are saying it was premature for the Mirror to say Arsenal are signing Alex Oxlade Chamberlain because Liverpool are now in for him in 'a big big way'

Chamberlain, Clichy & Sahko. Liverpool 3 - 0 Arsenal!

Got a link to it please mate ?

Nice one.

Do people not realise we need to get top 4 and champions league before we can get the best players again.

Look at Man City, they bought alot of players who were used to the league, when they finished 5th and then 4th they're now in the market for much better players, the good ones they did get they had to offer riduclous wages and fees.

Look at Spurs, they only got the likes of Gallas and VDV because they were in the Champions League.

Get solid premier league players who WILL perform for you, finish fourth or better and then next summer go for the likes of Aguero, Mata, Hazard etc etc.

Our history gets us to a lot of places but it won't get you the best players without Champions League.

I think it's a really smart and pretty obvious transfer strategy.

Suarez?

Liverpool to finally get Mata – SportsNews Ireland

According to reports in Spain Juan Mata looks set to be the next big signing to arrive at Anfield as Liverpool switch their sights to the wings after completing the signing of Midfielder Jordan Henderson.

The 23 year old Spaniard has spent the last four seasons with Valencia after arriving at the Mestalla Stadium from the Real Madrid B team however he has long been linked with a move to Liverpool firstly under Rafa Benitez and now under Kenny Dalglish.

Mata would add some genuine creativity to the wing, something that has been missing at Anfield for a long time, and last season scored 8 goals and created 12 as Valencia claimed 3rd spot in Spain despite selling David Silva and David Villa.

Mata is rated around the 20 million mark and given that Liverpool appears to have a sizeable transfer budget this summer, a move could be on the cards.

Mata is currently on duty with the Spanish under 21 side at the UEFA under-21 European Championship, where he is tipped to one of the stars of the show.