You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

coop

I dont think thats how it came across at all. He said it in the context of derby's and all clubs have derby's so they understand what it means but this one seems special and the lads who have never played in a Merseyside derby will find out tomorrow, with it being Kennys return and flag day and generally how the Merseyside derby's are. There was nothing xenophobic about it.

I think that's what he meant to say, but he was under pressure, and it came out all wrong.

I do understand why some people would be unhappy with those comments, but I'm not quite sure why they're angry with his comments that the squad isn't good enough, because everyone agrees with that, even Benitez & Torres said the same. I don't understand why they dislike him though.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's what he meant to say, but he was under pressure, and it came out all wrong.

I do understand why some people would be unhappy with those comments, but I'm not quite sure why they're angry with his comments that the squad isn't good enough, because everyone agrees with that, even Benitez & Torres said the same. I don't understand why they dislike him though.

They dislike him because they feel he was instrumental in getting Rafa sacked. It doesn't seem to register that fighting with your bosses but then struggling with your own job gives them the perfect opportunity to remove the thorn in their side. Rafa lost his job through his own political manoeuvrings rightly or wrongly.

I thought it was more the comment that him and Gerrard knew what a legend Kenny Dalglish was, and that the 'Foreigners' would find out how much of a legend he is tomorrow.

I don't think it's a good idea for the vice captain to go on live TV and group the squad based on their nationality.

Just my opinion.

Don't think that's how it was at all to be honest.

He was asked a question along the lines of whether or not the foreign players understood the rivalry, and he pretty much said that they did, although admited it probably meant a little bit more to him and stevie because of them being local, which is obvious and not a slant on the non-english players. He backed that up by saying that it would be the same if he went abroad, it will always mean a little bit more to the local players, but every club has a derby so any player knows the importance.

EDIT: Sorry, I opened up the page to make a post, leave it for ages, and by the time I post it has all been said!

I thought it was more the comment that him and Gerrard knew what a legend Kenny Dalglish was, and that the 'Foreigners' would find out how much of a legend he is tomorrow.

I don't think it's a good idea for the vice captain to go on live TV and group the squad based on their nationality.

Just my opinion.

Did you actually see the show and the part were he said that. There was no indication that he was grouping the players in the negative way. As others have said on here he made the point that they will know what to expect for THIS particular derby which the question by Stelling was about.

No wonder they are going nuts on Rawk as half of them probably never saw it but heard he said this or that from others.

Edited by Johnni

Did you actually see the show and the part were he said that. There was no indication that he was grouping the players in the negative way. As others have said on here he made the point that they will know what to expect for THIS particular derby which the question by Stelling was about.

No wonder they are going nuts on Rawk as half of them probably never saw it but heard he said this or that from others.

I watched it, he said something along the lines of "The foreign players will find out what Kenny means to the fans when he walks out in the derby".

I was just commenting, that nationality is really irrelevant to knowing about the history of LFC. I'm sure Torres knows how much the supporters adore Kenny, just because they aren't from Liverpool it doesn't mean they don't know what Kenny means to the club and the fans.

I'm sure it was harmless, but it was worded poorly.

Guest ShoePiss

I don't think it was poorly worded at all, I think it's spot on. I don't think they can appreciate the love we have for Kenny until they see it with their own eyes, that's all he's saying.

Himself and Gerrard grew up in the city, anyone who didn't might not grasp quite how much the man means to us all. They will tomorrow.

I watched it, he said something along the lines of "The foreign players will find out what Kenny means to the fans when he walks out in the derby".

I was just commenting, that nationality is really irrelevant to knowing about the history of LFC. I'm sure Torres knows how much the supporters adore Kenny, just because they aren't from Liverpool it doesn't mean they don't know what Kenny means to the club and the fans.

I'm sure it was harmless, but it was worded poorly.

It's not worded poorly it's true. Some people just have agendas and ridiculous sensitivities.

I'm a 22 yr old foreigner. I never watched Kenny play or manage us last time. I know he is a legend, I've been looking at photos and watching docos and I'm really interested in the club history and his role in it BUT I will stay up in the middle of the night here and I'll be on the edge of my seat to see him walk out for his first home game in charge - because I want to see the supporters react, the kop react and I don't know exactly what it will be like. I think it will be special but I won't understand what he means to all of you who are local and/or who watched him before, until I see it. I'm looking forward to it actually.

I can't know what it feels like to have pretended to be him when I played on the play-ground or to have a father who almost tears up to hear that he's back. I don't have those contexts in my life.

It's not at all narrow-minded to say I can't know about these things the way a local might, it's simply true.

Seriously what's our motto? - Liverpool fans turning molehills into mountains at every opportunity.

Jamie said nothing wrong.

With all due respect to Pepe and Torres and bloody Jovanovic. How could they reasonable comprehend the love and respect Liverpool has for Kenny?

You might as well say the same about kids born after Kenny left. They'll never feel what those of us who saw Kenny play and manage and go through the tragedy now feel. But they can pick up enough to know why he matters so much. If the foreign players don't pick up enough clues this afternoon they'll be beyond hope.

[by the way, the comment from Carra that seems to have gone under the radar was that he got on only 'quite well' with Hodgson. If he really WAS one of the ones keenest on getting Roy in the first place, the lad should start dressing up as Little Britain's Andy in his wheelchair. Purslow can play Lou and push him about at Christmas parties.]

Did anyone else see the Barton interview? "you can only get away with so much" he really is a horrible little bastard

He really is a fucking shit is'nt he. Seemed not to take any responsibility saying all players go out on the town etc and it's normal for what he did.

He was moaning that he does'nt get picked for England yet was having a go at Capello suggesting he was'nt picking players based on form like he promised. Not very clever is he.