You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

For those of you Roy haters...

RafaLaBamba

We had a shit season and on the strength of that the previous manager is no longer here, we were told it was time for a fresh change, he had lost the dressing room, he could no longer motivate the players etc., so he went and fair enough.

Then we are told in the summer after Hodgsons appointment that there is now a positive mood in the camp and players look forward to go to training. Now if the latter is to be believed where is the positivity in anything we have seen to date? where is the players committed trying their best and playing the football like they played in 08.09, you just don't become bad players over night.

The thing that worries me and it is true of any struggling side is when you get a change of manager there is normally a positive side effect, an uplift in effort, an improvement in results and performance but we have SEEN NONE OF THIS. The players / purslow can't have it both ways saying the mood in the camp is very good and then play shitter than last season.

I was against the appointment because it pandered to the little Englander mentality that all things english are the best and were jumping on the Hodgson bandwagon based on reaching a final of a competition he didn't win or his abysmal away record with a distinctly average team. It was like before Rafa was appointment curbishley was the darling of the english media and there was a rush in some camps to get curbishley in because he was english and was the flavour of the month at the time, what a disaster that would have been.

I will give hodgson time and not be a knee jerk and post on forums everytime we get a shit result but let us not be blinkered here because he was never liverpool class and wouldn't have got a look in if we wern't so fucked up off the field. He took the job fully knowing the circumstances and if he doesn't succeed he has only himself to blame ..... one last big pay day doesn't always end up in the happiest ways.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much time?

I think there is a serious question which links this thread and the takeover ones. In 08/09 we challenged for the title, hammered Real, United and others and looked like things were coming together. Ever since then, with both managers, we have been shit. With the exception of one or two games (ie Spurs) we have lacked both ability but more important committment. I remember for a short period of time there was a feel good factor about this season, that disappeared in the time space between the goal conceded against Arsenal and the withdrawl shortly afterwards of the Hueng bid, serious or not. In the second half against Arsenal we showed spirit which has not been since (or for most of the twelve months before either).

Something is wrong with the mindset of the players, the team has players with spirit, Mereiles looks like one, Gerrard (not last year), Carra, Kyriagokos, Cole, Kuyt (he tries), Shelvey, Reina, Spearing, Agger possibly Konchesky but not all are necessarily technically that good. In many other players there is a lack of fight, self belief and possibly ability but its the first two that matter at the moment. Very few managers (Redknapp, the slimy fixer) is one, Owen Coyle appears to be another have that ability to transform attititudes and turn losers into winners. Hodgson did it at Fulham and in some cases helped turn jokes like Zamora into full internationals. Whether he has the ability to instill self confidence, drive, fight and organisation into this team against the general malaise that those two bloodsuckers have now created at this club I don't know.

If they are still around I'm not sure who could be guaranteed to do a better job that would want to come in, if they go I want to see what a manager can do in a positive atmosphere. I hope they are gone shortly and if, with new owners the drive and passion does not come back to this club then we have to think again.

In the meantime if the players and manager cannot react to what is one of the worst results in our history, despite the fact it was a second string then some of the players have not the character to be at a club like Liverpool and then we must ask questions as to whether Roy has the strength of character to instill it throughout the club.

This is now a real test of character but for me the jury, whilst starting to see things the same way, is still out. The next few weeks is the most important in the clubs history, one battle at a time for me.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I'm not sure about this age thing, the only old managers in the PL last year finished 2/3/4, there are plenty of crap young managers, when Capello was 62 he was a good manager, then a poor one in S.Africa, then now a good one again. I think its more to do with guts and fight balanced against experience, Roy has (some) experience he now needs to show his guts and fight.

How much time?

I think there is a serious question which links this thread and the takeover ones. In 08/09 we challenged for the title, hammered Real, United and others and looked like things were coming together. Ever since then, with both managers, we have been shit. With the exception of one or two games (ie Spurs) we have lacked both ability but more important committment. I remember for a short period of time there was a feel good factor about this season, that disappeared in the time space between the goal conceded against Arsenal and the withdrawl shortly afterwards of the Hueng bid, serious or not. In the second half against Arsenal we showed spirit which has not been since (or for most of the twelve months before either).

Something is wrong with the mindset of the players, the team has players with spirit, Mereiles looks like one, Gerrard (not last year), Carra, Kyriagokos, Cole, Kuyt (he tries), Shelvey, Reina, Spearing, Agger possibly Konchesky but not all are necessarily technically that good. In many other players there is a lack of fight, self belief and possibly ability but its the first two that matter at the moment. Very few managers (Redknapp, the slimy fixer) is one, Owen Coyle appears to be another have that ability to transform attititudes and turn losers into winners. Hodgson did it at Fulham and in some cases helped turn jokes like Zamora into full internationals. Whether he has the ability to instill self confidence, drive, fight and organisation into this team against the general malaise that those two bloodsuckers have now created at this club I don't know.

If they are still around I'm not sure who could be guaranteed to do a better job that would want to come in, if they go I want to see what a manager can do in a positive atmosphere. I hope they are gone shortly and if, with new owners the drive and passion does not come back to this club then we have to think again.

In the meantime if the players and manager cannot react to what is one of the worst results in our history, despite the fact it was a second string then some of the players have not the character to be at a club like Liverpool and then we must ask questions as to whether Roy has the strength of character to instill it throughout the club.

This is now a real test of character but for me the jury, whilst starting to see things the same way, is still out. The next few weeks is the most important in the clubs history, one battle at a time for me.

Don't mean to pick holes mate but how many trophies have that lot won between them in, say, the last 20 years?

Don't mean to pick holes mate but how many trophies have that lot won between them in, say, the last 20 years?

fergie, who was mentioned earlier, has been a great manager for about the same amount of time roy has been a shit one.

Not many, I was just using those as examples of managers who come into clubs and transform them quickly, its not a common thing. Siralex took 4 years to win something, I know Rafa won the CL in his first year but the performance in 2007 was a damn sight better. There are few managers that have come in and transformed teams significantly very quickly. Ironically Roy is one of them, taking a relegation certainty to 7th in 18months and further than us in europe the next year (thats not me saying he can do it at Liverpool), he had an absolutely shocking start at Fulham, lost about 10 games on the run.

Where is this idea that Hodgson has been shit for 20 years come from

Swedish football, unqualified success

Switzerland, unqualified success (up to 3rd in Fifa world ratings)

Inter mid table to 3rd

Blackburn, bottom to 6th in first season, poor start to next season

Denmark, unqualified success

Norway, success

Finland, relative success

Fulham, make your own mind up

I realise these are pretty much small beer compared to Liverpool but I wouldn't call it shit. It doesn't prove anything but get the story straight.

Edited by Cherry Ghost

you could look at this in a positive way though

say our first 4 league games were against utter shit like your boltons of the league

if we wouldnt have performed / got the points and then had to face city , utd and arsenal then we would have really been in the shit

at least those are out of the way while we find ourselves , i dont think many teams are going to get much change out of that lot this year

I don't think its possible to hate Roy, that would be like hating a tramp off the street who's just been made CEO of Rolls Royce. I wouldn't hate him but I'd shake my head in disbelief that someone saw fit to appoint a tramp to such a prestigious possition at such a world renowned institution.

Not many, I was just using those as examples of managers who come into clubs and transform them quickly, its not a common thing. Siralex took 4 years to win something, I know Rafa won the CL in his first year but the performance in 2007 was a damn sight better. There are few managers that have come in and transformed teams significantly very quickly. Ironically Roy is one of them, taking a relegation certainty to 7th in 18months and further than us in europe the next year (thats not me saying he can do it at Liverpool), he had an absolutely shocking start at Fulham, lost about 10 games on the run.

Inter mid table to 3rd

Norway, success

I realise these are pretty much small beer compared to Liverpool but I wouldn't call it shit. It doesn't prove anything but get the story straight.

Get the story straight? You said that redknapp and owen coyle can turn losers into winners. I've obviously missed them lifting all those trophies. As for blackburn, they finished 13th the season before he took over and that was with tony parkes in charge. He finished 6th in his first season with a large amount of the side that won the league. He then spent 20 million on shite like kevin davies who cost 7.5m and was sacked with them bottom of the league. Your claim that he took them from bottom to 6th is utter bollocks. He actually took them from 13th to bottom! As for inter, they finished 6th the season before he took over. Thanks for forcing me to use wikipedia where I found this cracking quote, 'The side Hodgson built would go on to win the UEFA Cup in 1998 and finish runner-up in Serie A under his successor, Luigi Simoni'. You've also left out the bit about him getting sacked by udinese after 6 months. Steve McLaren is arguably a better manager than Roy for fucks sake. UEFA cup final, won foreign league, shit in england etc.

There is a difference to the abuse the current manager is suffering compared to the last manager.

The last manager suffered personal attacks about his appearance on a weekly basis. Liverpool 'fans' calling him a Fat Spanish Cunt and other such jovial names not often reserved for managers who win European Cups for their clubs.

The abuse Roy is taking is not personal abuse. Noones calling him a stuttering English cunt, they are criticising his style of management which at this moment in time is justified. Hes got time to get it right, its up to him to sort it out and shut people up.

I don't think its possible to hate Roy, that would be like hating a tramp off the street who's just been made CEO of Rolls Royce. I wouldn't hate him but I'd shake my head in disbelief that someone saw fit to appoint a tramp to such a prestigious possition at such a world renowned institution.

Unfortunately we aren't Rolls Royce at the moment, more like a classic vintage vehicle. If those sucking leeches have gone and money comes in we might attract the big names, Roy must know that if that happens any excuses will evaporate quickly, if he's turned things round by the time that (hopefully) happens he has a chance. If it doesn't happen then we'll be interviewing tramps (or Mr Dalglish)

Inter mid table to 3rd

Norway, success

Tactical discipline can only take you so far.

I'd rate Roy with the Erikssons & McClaren's of the world. Decent managers but don't quite have the influence/swagger to take themselves to the next level.

Get the story straight? You said that redknapp and owen coyle can turn losers into winners. I've obviously missed them lifting all those trophies. As for blackburn, they finished 13th the season before he took over and that was with tony parkes in charge. He finished 6th in his first season with a large amount of the side that won the league. He then spent 20 million on shite like kevin davies who cost 7.5m and was sacked with them bottom of the league. Your claim that he took them from bottom to 6th is utter bollocks. He actually took them from 13th to bottom! As for inter, they finished 6th the season before he took over. Thanks for forcing me to use wikipedia where I found this cracking quote, 'The side Hodgson built would go on to win the UEFA Cup in 1998 and finish runner-up in Serie A under his successor, Luigi Simoni'. You've also left out the bit about him getting sacked by udinese after 6 months. Steve McLaren is arguably a better manager than Roy for fucks sake. UEFA cup final, won foreign league, shit in england etc.

I'd rate Roy with the Erikssons & McClaren's of the world. Decent managers but don't quite have the influence/swagger to take themselves to the next level.

Some truth in that although Mclaren's much more of a tosser and Sven's just a greedy bastard

I never said that Redknapp or Coyle had won anything, you may have noticed that no club outside the top four has won anything for a very long time (except Portsmouth), I was just pointing out that they have demonstrated fairly instant improvement which, I assume, is what we want.

As for Hodgson at Blackburn they did improve and then went backwards, that's what I said. I'm not saying he's got Ancellotti's record by any means but you seriously can't say that he's been a shit manager for 20 years, even the oracle of Wiki should confirm that he's had both success and failure but more of the former. Shit in England in the first months of 1998/9 and pretty much so far this season I'll give you.

There is a difference to the abuse the current manager is suffering compared to the last manager.

The last manager suffered personal attacks about his appearance on a weekly basis. Liverpool 'fans' calling him a Fat Spanish Cunt and other such jovial names not often reserved for managers who win European Cups for their clubs.

The abuse Roy is taking is not personal abuse. Noones calling him a stuttering English cunt, they are criticising his style of management which at this moment in time is justified. Hes got time to get it right, its up to him to sort it out and shut people up.

I often call him the Owl headed wetarded wascal, but he just smiles and carries on delivering letters to Harry at Hogwarts.

ROY HODGSON: IT’S TIME TO STOP BEING SO WET

Friday September 24,2010

By Paul Joyce

ROY HODGSON entered the press room at Anfield and, when asked how he was feeling as he digested arguably the worst result in Liverpool’s modern history, described himself as “a bit wet”.

Standing on the touchline in the pouring rain, his overcoat having long since been ripped off in a temper while his team fluffed their penalties against lowly Northampton Town, was guaranteed to dampen his mood.

Yet, remarkably for someone with more than 30 years of experience in management, wet behind the ears would be a fitting description of him as he appears to struggle to grasp just what is expected of a Liverpool manager.

Reshaping the club’s fortunes at a tumultuous time in their history was always going to be an onerous task, but the manner of Wednesday’s humiliating Carling Cup exit to League Two opposition ensures Hodgson has just made life infinitely more difficult for himself.

Having backed himself into a corner, he must now come out fighting and prove to those fans ambivalent towards his appointment that he can successfully forge a future for a club where the present becomes gloomier by the day.

A daunting Premier League fixture list has not helped Hodgson garner early momentum, but he needs to get to grips with the task by granting players who were organised last season freedom to perform.

He needs to get up to speed with the strengths and weaknesses of his squad and, more than anything, secure a positive result against Sunderland tomorrow. Otherwise the dream job that, at the age of 63, he could never have dreamed of having will descend into a nightmare.

The penalty shoot-out reverse in front of just 22,577 supporters was a costly way of confirming the squad Hodgson inherited from Rafa Benitez possesses a soft underbelly once the star names are removed.

Hodgson should not be blamed for some of the dross clogging up Liverpool’s corridors – that is part of the legacy Benitez left – but it is not unreasonable to expect him to have worked out where the weaknesses lie by now. Even if he has officially been in charge for only 86 days, the clues over the club’s demise have long since been publicly trailed.

When Hodgson guided Fulham to a 3-1 win over his current employers last October, it should have dawned on him just what a mess a once proud institution is now in and just about anyone in football would have highlighted Liverpool’s lack of strength in depth as a major problem. There is no disputing that Hodgson sent out a team he thought capable of beating Northampton. But to make 11 changes to his starting line-up, and crucially not leave himself with a get-out-of-jail-free card by naming Fernando Torres, Joe Cole or Raul Meireles on the bench, was a grave oversight.

It will only take Liverpool to be drawn away to Premier League opposition in the FA Cup third round – a tie in which the first team would struggle to win – for the folly of Wednesday to be compounded and another route to much-needed silverware blocked.

Of course, the continuous discord off the field means Liverpool are preoccupied in other areas but, for his own longevity, Hodgson must realise what he does now will heavily influence what prospective new owners make of him.

Hodgson has to start thinking like a Liverpool manager. When Sir Alex Ferguson ridiculously branded Torres a cheat following Manchester United’s win at Old Trafford last Sunday, Hodgson’s refusal to leap to his defence was a mistake.

Protecting Liverpool’s players should be more important to him than preserving his special relationship with Ferguson, regardless of what headlines it might have thrown up.

Hodgson is no doubt annoyed by the perception that he is just a pair of safe hands, entrusted with the task of guiding Liverpool through a difficult period. For his own good he has to put his finger on Liverpool’s problems and push on.

Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | Sport | Football

I'm sorry, but Roy Hodgson has no clue. I'm not going to wait till Christmas. I want him gone now. I'm still open, though, don't get me wrong, and I back the club 100%. He hasn't the tactical nous nor the personal skills to make it at the top level. Not that he could even make it at the lower levels. He should have made the changes, and fast. But we still find ourselves playing 4-5-1, packing the midfield, negative football, hoofing it up to Nando. It goes on. We need change, and soon. It has to start now. The owners surely have to go by the end of the year, and hopefully new management will get a new manager in. Someone with the guts to make the changes necessary to turn us into a side that can at least challenge for the Europa League.

I'd be prepared to give the right man as long as he wants in charge, as long as he's making clear progress in terms of our style of play.

TB in The Times

What Roy Hodgson must do next to stave off crisis at Anfield

Adopt a more adventurous tactical approach

No shots on target throughout Wednesday’s abject second-half performance against Northampton Town, a team ranked 69 League places below them, is as damning a statistic as is possible for a club of Liverpool’s grandeur and expectations.

It was not a one-off, either, as in both their previous Barclays Premier League matches, against Manchester United and Birmingham City, Liverpool failed to create any chances of real note from open play. An obvious lack of strength in depth in attack is part of the problem, but Hodgson’s strategy of sitting deep and not pressing play is also contributing to their impotence.

With just four goals scored from their opening five league games — only Wigan Athletic and West Ham United have scored fewer, while Blackpool have struck twice as many — the need for greater urgency going forward is obvious.

Make more positive public pronouncements

Before Liverpool played Manchester City, Hodgson said that he hoped to avoid a 6-0 defeat. It was a tongue-in-cheek, throwaway line after a number of Premier League matches had ended in that scoreline the previous weekend, but it also fitted in with a pattern in which he dampens expectations before and after games.

“My expectations were not that high anyway,” Hodgson said after a goalless draw away to Birmingham. Avoiding a heavy defeat was his aim before a pre-season friendly against Al Hilal, which was postponed because of heavy rain, while Northampton were billed as “formidable” opponents before the Carling Cup third-round tie.

Were Liverpool on a supreme run of form, such pronouncements would not be a problem, but when sixteenth in the Premier League they smack of negativity, particularly at a club whose managers traditionally have an unshakeable belief in their players, in public at least.

Solve the longstanding left-back problem

Different players, same old problem. When Courtney Herbert danced around Danny Wilson to set up Northampton’s second goal it evoked recent painful memories of Paul Konchesky being given a torrid time by Nani and Daniel Agger being taken to the cleaners by Adam Johnson.

The likelihood is that neither Agger nor Wilson is best suited to playing left back, while Konchesky is only in the early stages of his Liverpool career and deserves the chance to find his feet.

The latter needs a consistent run in the side, although the physical frailty of Fábio Aurélio, who was re-signed in the summer despite the longstanding injury concerns that prompted his initial release, makes it difficult for Hodgson to risk Konchesky in anything other than league games. But at least he now knows that his central defenders do not make ideal auxiliary left backs.

Stop showing faith in players who are not good enough

When Liverpool failed to bring in a centre forward in the most recent transfer window, Hodgson insisted it was not a serious problem because he could still call on Ryan Babel, who, according to the Liverpool manager, had “never been given a proper chance” to prove himself in that position.

Babel’s performance against Northampton proved why because he made no impact whatsoever against npower League Two opponents before being substituted to a chorus of boos.

“I failed personally,” Babel said on Twitter yesterday. It was a similar story in the Europa League play-off against Trabzonspor at Anfield, only for the cracks to be papered over when the Holland forward scored. Perseverance is no longer an option.

Give Fernando Torres the support he requires

On and off the pitch, the growing feeling is that Torres is lacking in the support he needs to reaffirm his reputation as one of the world’s most feared strikers. Hodgson had the chance to offer him verbal backing at the weekend when Sir Alex Ferguson accused the forward of cheating, only for the Liverpool manager to fail to offer a defence of his player.

It is a similar story on the pitch, where Torres cuts an increasingly isolated figure, deprived of the kind of backup that comes with a more adventurous attacking approach and which would allow him to play on the shoulder of the last defender, the position in which he thrives the most, more regularly. Torres has scored only once in six appearances for the club this season.

Was Souness given this rough a ride? I dont think he was and that was based on winning things in Scotland,which is no better than success in Sweden.

Coyle appears to be another have that ability to transform attititudes and turn losers into winners.

Didnt Coyles team lose to a lower league side the other night as well?

Lets be patient!

Not really a Roy hater or supporter. Based on his history, don't really expect much from him, as although top 4 is the goal, top 10 is perhaps his level.

Look at his response to the loses and bad performances. Its the normal level to him, and he is probably adjusting to the fact that his team is expected to win all the games so far. Different pressure than what he is used to his whole career.

I'm just pissed off at the board for picking a manager with such a poor record and having such low expectations. It really shows the ambition of the board

Can't really blame Roy, as he looks completely out of his depth, but seriously could never reject the chance to manage us. Hell, I would too, although I wouldn't have the slightest clue how to do the job.

As for Harry bloody Redknapp, its easy when you are allowed to spend your way to "success", hell even spend the club into bankruptcy.

FERNANDO TORRES is ready to quit *Liverpool in dismay at the club’s progress under new boss Roy Hodgson.

And big-spending Manchester City are already *pl*otting a £50m January bid to put the Spain * superstar out of his *Anfield misery.

The World Cup winner feels the club have gone back on promises to invest in top quality players and is now looking for a way out.

WIN A LIVERPOOL SEASON TICKET FOR 2010/11 HERE...

Torres was hotly tipped to leave Liverpool in the summer after the Merseysiders failed to secure Champions League football under Rafa Benitez last season.

Barcelona, City and Chelsea all showed a major interest in the striker – but Torres insisted he wouldn’t make a decision on his future until after the World Cup in South Africa.

After Benitez’s departure and a lot of persuasion from Hodgson, the former Atletico Madrid man followed in skipper *Steven Gerrard’s footsteps by *deciding to stay at Liverpool.

The shock capture of Joe Cole and *Hodgson’s promise of more major signings playeda big role in *persuading Torres to stay.

But the club has failed to follow up their swoop for ex-Chelsea star Cole with any other *marquee names – a fact that has not gone unnoticed by the Spaniard.

The departure to *Barcelona of Javier Mascherano – arguably the best defensive *midfielder in world football – and their poor start to the season has also deeply *concerned Torres.

All that, together with the club’s precarious *financial state, has forced him to seriously reconsider his future.

Torres, 26, has come in for some early-season *criticism for a string of *below-par displays, with many questioning whether he actually wants to be at the club. Starsport understands that Torres’ representatives are already trying to engineer a move away from Anfield in the *January window – *particularly if the Reds’ quest to regain their *Champions League *status looks doomed.

And City chiefs have already made it clear that they are ready to smash their transfer record to bring the *hitman to Eastlands.

Boss Roberto Mancini made Torres his No.1 summer target, but knew he would be *facing an uphill struggle to lure the striker without the carrot of European Cup football.

But the Italian will *renew his attempts to pull off the capture of Torres once the *transfer window reopens.

Was Souness given this rough a ride? I dont think he was and that was based on winning things in Scotland,which is no better than success in Sweden.

That was 20 years ago!

The gap was far smaller than it was now, put it this way, Leeds were taken to the cleaners by Rangers in 92'!

Scotland had qualified for 5 world cups on the trot!