You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

They would NEVER asset strip us...

FrenchEyeGlass

They are not forcing anybody out of the door, youre right.

But by not reinvesting the money from sales they are effectively asset stripping us.

But youre probably right. The yanks wouldn't fuck us over like that.

So you admit they are not asset stripping then I take it by that comment.

Not once did I mention the yanks mate.

Who out there is or was available this window to bring in ?

Its not easy finding good players who also want to come here and play in the Europa League.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Juve were willing to buy AA without wanting to test him on a loan deal first, he would be gone.

The intention of the owners is clear as glass.

And if your auntie had balls she'd be your uncle. Face it mate you're just wrong, you can't argue IF's like they are fact.

So you admit they are not asset stripping then I take it by that comment.

Not once did I mention the yanks mate.

Who out there is or was available this window to bring in ?

Its not easy finding good players who also want to come here and play in the Europa League.

What about when we finished 2nd and embarrased Real in the CL? Why didnt we invest then? Even the player we bought, we bought by paying in installment or by cancelling debts.

Guest PurpleNose

We've made a profit in the transfer market in the last two years. Which, however you look at it, can't be right for a club like ours.

We seem to have moved into a more short term strategy of looking for frees and signing players from clubs we owe money. Big money going on wages and signing on fees, spread over the length of contracts. It doesn't appear to make financial sense long term, but allows us to pay off some debt in the short term.

The actual quantity of players you'd consider to be part of the first team squad has also been reduced over the last four transfer windows.

Pennant, Keane, Arbeloa, Alonso, Hyypia, Leto (debatable), Voronin, Dossena, Benayoun, Degen, Riera, Aquilani (signed in same period), Cavalieri have all left.

With only Johnson, Aquilani, Krygiakos, Maxi, Cole, Jovanovic, Poulsen and Jones coming in.

I've probably missed one or two, but I think the pattern remains. We have a much weaker squad than a few years ago. N'Gog is second choice striker. A 19 year old from the academy is now second choice right back (possibly no bad thing long term). The quality of our central midfield has also clearly been destroyed.

The previous manager must take some of the blame, for not managing the funds he has been given very well, and also having fairly strained relationships with certain players. But a policy of short termism from above has had the most impact on the strength of our squad.

How the fuck does it? We've agreed to let Aquilani go on loan with an option for them to buy (so we've basically agreed to the sale of Aquilani)

Spending the mascherano money in January (when we may have refinanced and would have recieved a shit load of cash from the TV deals) means fuck all also.

We should be spending £20m+ NET every summer. However, our NET is negative at the moment. and it has been for a very long time.

So what you are saying is we spend money on the proviso that Juventus MIGHT spend 15m on Aquilani? What if he breaks down there and is out for the season and decide not to pursue the transfer next summer and we spend money we haven't got? Then what?

Long time? Summer 2008-09 it wasn't with Keane, N'Gog, Riera, Dossena, Degen and Cavalieri arriving and 2007-08 it certainly wasn't considering we bought Torres, Lucas, Babel, Yossi, Voro and Itandje, not to mention the January signings that season of Mascherano and Skrtel. The outbound sales were certainly less over those two years were certainly less than what we spent.

Yeah its going to be interesting to see what happens there.

It will be indeed. At the moment the club is running on a 0 net spend, a sell to buy policy. With the twats leaching everything else. This is bollocks but is far far off from asset striping.

Now IF the Mascherano money isn't invested...

We've made a profit in the transfer market in the last two years. Which, however you look at it, can't be right for a club like ours.

We seem to have moved into a more short term strategy of looking for frees and signing players from clubs we owe money. Big money going on wages and signing on fees, spread over the length of contracts. It doesn't appear to make financial sense long term, but allows us to pay off some debt in the short term.

The actual quantity of players you'd consider to be part of the first team squad has also been reduced over the last four transfer windows.

Pennant, Keane, Arbeloa, Alonso, Hyypia, Leto (debatable), Voronin, Dossena, Benayoun, Degen, Riera, Aquilani (signed in same period), Cavalieri have all left.

With only Johnson, Aquilani, Krygiakos, Maxi, Cole, Jovanovic, Poulsen and Jones coming in.

I've probably missed one or two, but I think the pattern remains. We have a much weaker squad than a few years ago. N'Gog is second choice striker. A 19 year old from the academy is now second choice right back (possibly no bad thing long term). The quality of our central midfield has also clearly been destroyed.

The previous manager must take some of the blame, for not managing the funds he has been given very well, and also having fairly strained relationships with certain players. But a policy of short termism from above has had the most impact on the strength of our squad.

Thats basically the American sports franchise model isnt it.

I think your bang on the money with all of that.

What about when we finished 2nd and embarrased Real in the CL? Why didnt we invest then? Even the player we bought, we bought by paying in installment or by cancelling debts.

Look mate you said the owners are ASSET STRIPPING. You have provided no evidence of this and I am calling you on it.

I accept we are not investing sufficiently enough to challenge for honours but that is very different.

My post was about the INTENTION of the owners.

They are willing to sell our good players, and are reluctant to reinvest the money.

How can they invest money that hasn't come into the club yet...

Seriously don't even reply cause there is no getting it into your head.

It will be indeed. At the moment the club is running on a 0 net spend, a sell to buy policy. With the twats leaching everything else. This is bollocks but is far far off from asset striping.

Now IF the Mascherano money isn't invested...

Exactlty I'm with holding any hysteria till the window closes. 4 days, if they move quick we could make a decent signing or two. Or we could end up with another Aquilani if they arn't careful.

Or it might all just dissappear to the Caymans. :whistle:

Its funny how some here was so sure that the owners wouldn't sell off our best players, with no intention to replace them.

Benayoun has left for 6m. 6m too little in my opinion, especially to CFC - somebody we should be contesting for the title.

Mascherano has gone for a measly fee, 16-18m. Which, again in my opinion, is half the amount he is worth. Thats another top player gone.

Aquilani has just confirmed that he will stay at Juve after his year long loan deal, probably for fuck all. He never set the world alight here but there is no doubt that he had talent, and should be a first team starter for us.

Alonso went last season and was never replaced (we never spent the money made from his deal)

Riera left, with no replacement.

Keane left, with no replacement.

Who's next?

Torres will almost certainly leave next year. Roy isn't getting us into the top 4 this year, even if a fairy-tale injection of funds come along in January (don't bet on it).

They are asset striping us. Slowly, but surely. Will they sell Gerrard or Pepe or Nando? Of course not. That would be suicide. But players like Kuyt, Skrtle, Agger, Babel, Lucas will be next to leave.

Get used to the Europa.

Spot on. Tom Hicks said it would be a big summer. The only thing big about this summer will be the profit we make on transfers yet again.

So what you are saying is we spend money on the proviso that Juventus MIGHT spend 15m on Aquilani? What if he breaks down there and is out for the season and decide not to pursue the transfer next summer and we spend money we haven't got? Then what?

Long time? Summer 2008-09 it wasn't with Keane, N'Gog, Riera, Dossena, Degen and Cavalieri arriving and 2007-08 it certainly wasn't considering we bought Torres, Lucas, Babel, Yossi, Voro and Itandje, not to mention the January signings that season of Mascherano and Skrtel. The outbound sales were certainly less over those two years were certainly less than what we spent.

Im only going to mention the signings that we're free, but i dont see the point of talking about Degen et al.

Keane was sold in January, never replaced, Riera was sold, never replaced, Dossena was replaced, never replaced.

Long time may have been an exaggeration, but this window, last window, the window before and the window before that, we have not had a positive net spend.

I think it is a solid argument that we are being asset stripped.

The owners know they are not going to get hugely more than the debt owed on the club. So they are selling players and either not replacing them or replacing them with a lesser priced name.

The crown jewels make commercial sense to keep (note shirt sales of Torres and Gerrard, for example).

It is horrible to see, and one can only hope that we get new owners when this all comes crashing down in October.

In the meantime I hope we will be able to stay reasonably competitive around the fringe of top four. A title challenge is out of the question without new owners.

OUTS

16m Robbie Keane

0.25m Paul Anderson

3m Leto

3.5m Arbeloa

30m Alonso

4.7m Dossena

1.8m Voronin

1.5m Mihaylov

2.6m San Jose

6m Yossi

3.3m Riera

3m Diego

1m Nemeth

(16-22) Mascherano

TOTAL: 92.65m-98.65

INS

17.5m Johnson (money still owed from Crouch for the majority)

17.1m Aquilani (As good as gone for 17mEur next summer)

2m Kyrgiakos

0.16m Ayala

1.7m Shelvey

2m Wilson

4.55m Poulsen

2.3m Jones

TOTAL: 47.31m

NET: Anywhere from -51.34 to -45.34

All figures from lfchistory.net (Stolen from RAWK) Just something to have a look at.

It boggles my mind that there are people in here arguing the semantics of 'asset-stripping' and saying things like 'we have to sell to buy - but what do you expect?'

At a club like ours, we expect owners who will invest money in the team, build us a modern stadium and, if they can't afford to do so, sell the fucking club. Not hire people to lie to us that we've got a positive net spend whilst selling off top players and not replacing them.

'Ooh the market's bad! Benitez made poor transfer decisions! The window's not closed yet!'

The numbers are there in black and white. Arguing over minutiae in the apparent defence of owners who have time and time again been shown up as dishonest and self-serving is stunning. Whether or not we're, strictly speaking, being 'asset-stripped', we're being taken for a fucking ride and have been for years, and the syntax used to describe that should be the last thing we're squabbling over.