You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will we see a centre midfield pairing of Gerrard and Aqua?

LFC 6 Times

it looks like Hodgson moving Stevie back to centre mid, which i'm all for but who should be his midfield partner. Lucas is a good player but hes not good enough to be 1st choice for us, no problem with him being 2nd choice rotating. Can Aquilani fill the role beside stevie, it may be considered too gung-ho but look at Germany at the world kedira and schweinstger aint exactly disciplined when one went foward the other sat back and played deep, if we can get this type of balance with Aquilani and Stevie we could have the best cm pairing in the country, we will rip the shit teams to threads with these two making late runs into the box. I hope Hodgson has the balls to play these two together

Aquilani would be an utter liability in the role.

He is an advanced playmaker. Cole did more in 90 minutes than Aquilani has done since he's been here.

If Mascherano would stop fucking fannying about and give the club and the manager another season, the partnership between him and Gerrard in the centre could be excellent with Cole in front of them and Jovanovic and Kuyt either side.

But hello no, no way should Aquilani be part of the two in the middle. Lucas should be cover and no more and I never want to see Babel in a Liverpool shirt ever again. Those are my wishes for the new season, sort it please Roy. Make it so that Lucas is just a cover player and Babel gets sold or shot.

against the bottom half teams invariably we have 65% of the ball why wouldn;t we paly them both know where the net is and have a wide passing range, we defo won't be drawing too many at home if we play these two

No we'd be losing half of them. Unless you're on about bottom half of division three.

We're Liverpool FC. Beating the bottom 10 every game at home and then beating 75% of the away matches against said bottom 10 should be the absolute minimum.

That would give us 52 points. You're slipping. Shoulds do not count, play the games, last season we talked too much, and did not perform. This season I hope we shut up and play. No "should" stuff, just play and beat anyone we come across.

Unless you are in the bottom 10, which is where we will be if we play these two together.

What are you basing this on theyre both very talented players and its not as if theyre going to be up alongside Torres all day there, defensively speaking putting a body behind the ball is all one really needs to do i don't foresee Glen whelan and the likes raping a midfield with the best player this club has ever had in it. Rafa's brainwashed some people on here, we don't need to be cautious against stoke, sunderlands of this world

Aqua and Gerrard in midfield wouldn't work, IMO neither are disciplined enough to sit and cover teh backline even against the so called lower league premier league opposition, who are still very capable of taking points from us. Aqua looked way off again when he came on, i think alot of us want him to do well so we can be bit rose tinted about his performances, once again today one or two nice passes when he had time and space, but then the usual pulling out of tackles, loose balls when under pressure and giving posession away in silly areas which leave us prone to a counter.

IMO it will be Gerrard/Poulsen as starters and Kuyt at RB,Jovo at LM:

-------------Poulsen------------

Kuyt-------Gerrard--------Jovo

-------------Cole----------------

-------------Torres--------------

Thats 2 solid and willing runners on either side and bags of creativity centrally with fingers crossed and a few prayers, the protection/rugby tackling defense of Poulsen protecting the backline. With Aqua,Maxi,Ngog coming from bench as attacking options. Have to say why on earth is Babel still here, he' s like 3rd or 4th choice in every position he can possibly play? Same with Insua, Kelly is streets ahead of him and can cover either RB/LB, selling both of these could get us vital money.

Edited by danperkins

What are you basing this on theyre both very talented players and its not as if theyre going to be up alongside Torres all day there, defensively speaking putting a body behind the ball is all one really needs to do i don't foresee Glen whelan and the likes raping a midfield with the best player this club has ever had in it. Rafa's brainwashed some people on here, we don't need to be cautious against stoke, sunderlands of this world

Some people on here have seen better managers than Rafa and better players than Gerrard (unless you are referring to Aquilani).

Never. Not in recent history, but Man Utd and Chelsea have and that's why they've continually won the league over the last 20 years.

To be fair it's either never or not in recent history but either way I highly doubt it's more than the last season or so that this may have happened.

Hence why we, when finishing 2nd the other year, had the highest points total not to win the top division etc.

Either way it was more the absolute minimum part that made me respond. The absolute mimimum is that they give a shite. The comment about us basically being Liverpool it being our absolute minimum makes us seem like it's our right to do so. Probably why we get so many booing after we have the cheek to draw at home to one of these sides.

It looked like Gerrard was playing very deep alongside Lucas tonight in a 4-4-2. Rafa more or less abandoned this formation in Istanbul when Gerrards surging runs from the same position left Alonso alone to cope/not cope with what happened, which we all know all too well. It was abandoned at half time because of the damage it was causing.

Gerrard was doing the same runs tonight and leaving Lucas to cope at the back. Its ok against limited opposition but against the quality teams in the prem it will be exposed to the level and space AC Milan discovered 1st half in Istanbul. It may work with someone like Mascherano covering for Stevie but as we all know Maschers off, I just hope Poulsons not as slow as Alonso as to have Stevie sitting deep again it requires a mobile partner to cover his surging runs that leave the team exposed.

Not Gerrards fault that he likes the runs from deep but obviously something Rafa decided left the team exposed. I just hope Roy has a fast and able partner for him in the middle to counter act this eventuality.

Aquilani should be sold never mind anchoring our midfield.

he's only been here one season, but i have to agree with this.....

he doesnt look the part, and he should have worked his ass off in the close season to make huge impact when everyone came back....but he doesnt look fast enough.

18 million quid and he isnt living up to it..we should make up a home sick story and get 12 - 15 million for him now....if we play him and he proves us right......we will lose even more money on him....

we just havent got the time, and with suso and pacheco coming though i dont think we need him....we have enough attacking midfielders now.

we badly need a top striker.....

anybody know what loic remy is really like?

It looked like Gerrard was playing very deep alongside Lucas tonight in a 4-4-2. Rafa more or less abandoned this formation in Istanbul when Gerrards surging runs from the same position left Alonso alone to cope/not cope with what happened, which we all know all too well. It was abandoned at half time because of the damage it was causing.

Gerrard was doing the same runs tonight and leaving Lucas to cope at the back. Its ok against limited opposition but against the quality teams in the prem it will be exposed to the level and space AC Milan discovered 1st half in Istanbul. It may work with someone like Mascherano covering for Stevie but as we all know Maschers off, I just hope Poulsons not as slow as Alonso as to have Stevie sitting deep again it requires a mobile partner to cover his surging runs that leave the team exposed.

Not Gerrards fault that he likes the runs from deep but obviously something Rafa decided left the team exposed. I just hope Roy has a fast and able partner for him in the middle to counter act this eventuality.

im not sure if you want me to agree with you, cus im a cunt.

but your fast becoming one of the best posters on here....you speak alot of sense and read the game well......were you, or are you, a good football player?.......be honest please!

that analysis is excellent, i can see a few of those one touch flick passing moves we did today, not coming off (it happened a few times in tonights game) and against a better team we will be in big trouble.

footballs all about taking risks and going for it, so i dont want gerrard to stop this...but we need real pace to cover these probablities, as it will happen....someone like arsenal will murder us...

poulson better be able to do 100 metres in 10.5......or we are fucked. (and he is 30 so i know he cant)

im sure roy knows this aswell....