You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

Poor public sector workers getting upset that their fat, final salary pensions - furnished by the private sector - are going to be reduced? My heart bleeds.

It's not furnished by the private sector though is it? It's furnished by the public sector. Do you value bankers more than doctors by way?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
The Conservatives and Liberal Democrats are to change the law to allow them to put up joint candidates using a single emblem on the ballot paper, Labour claimed on the eve of the Lib Dem conference in Sheffield.

The Cabinet Office minister Mark Harper pushed legal changes through the Commons this week that will allow two parties to field a candidate under a single emblem for mayoral elections.

He said he intended to introduce a similar system for the next general election, probably by using a bill introducing individual voter registration. Harper said: "It is the government's intention to fix it ahead of the general election so that those candidates who stand for more than one political party will be happy."

Chris Bryant, the shadow constititutional affairs minister, said: "Perhaps the Conservative and Liberal Democrats should merge their logos. They could have a bird in a tree. I would suggest a dodo."

Coalition sources maintained the changes to the law were not a contingency plan designed to pave the way for a joint Tory-Lib Dem ticket. Instead they said the change was designed to help the Labour and Co-operative party put up a single candidate.

But any sign of plans for a longer-term deal will be viewed with intense suspicion by Lib Dem members. A strategy motion from the executive for the party's conference in Sheffield says it must do more to assert its independence.On the eve of the conference Nick Clegg insisted he would not let protesters keep him behind a ring of steel saying the party should "hold its head up high" despite coming sixth in the Barnsley byelection.

Clegg launched a no-holds-barred attack on Labour in Sheffield – where he is MP for the Hallam constituency – accusing the party of "the worst kind of bullying, carping, sneering, infantile politics, straight out of the playground".

The Lib Dems are battling to retain control of Sheffield council in the May elections.

In another blow Lord Owen, the former leader of the Social Democratic Party revealed in a letter to the Guardian he is backing a no vote in the alternative vote referendum, on the basis that AV is not a proportional voting system.

He has also written to the Electoral Reform Society opposing plans for the society to increase the amount it can give to external organisations from £1m to £2.5m a year.

Source: Guardian.

Fuck waiting for Miliband to 'save us' let just fucking throw them all off canary wharf and start again without such rabid dogs in charge.

The tree of liberty does need a refresh. Perhaps we can spare the patriots this time and just fuck off all the tyrants.

The Conservatives and Liberal Democrats are to change the law to allow them to put up joint candidates using a single emblem on the ballot paper, Labour claimed on the eve of the Lib Dem conference in Sheffield.

The cheeky fucking twisting bastards! The law has been changed to allow THEM to use emblems for their Labour/Co-Op candidates. What a dirty, rotten bunch.

The cheeky fucking twisting bastards! The law has been changed to allow THEM to use emblems for their Labour/Co-Op candidates. What a dirty, rotten bunch.

Stronts you are talking shite.

Labour and Labour Co-op candidates both stand under the rose emblem already. Why the need for ne legislation? We've even had Labour and Labour Co-op candidates on the same voting ballot so don't give me that bollocks. I expected a better argument than we're doing it for 'you lot'.

This legislation changes nothing for the Labour party or the Co-op so stop talking crap.

Lib Dem conference going on literally 2minutes from my flat in City Hall, Sheffield. City is swarming with coppers, big protests planned today apparently.

I'll be amazed if Clegg keeps that seat at the next election with it having one of the biggest student population in the country, absolutely amazed.

I'll be amazed if Clegg keeps that seat at the next election with it having one of the biggest student population in the country, absolutely amazed.

My son used to be a student in that constituency,Crooks is the area,appropriate for an MP.

In fairness to my son he said he was always more like a Tory than a LibDem so has been proved right.

Only problem with high student populations maybe that like my son,they would choose to vote in their home constituency rather than where they are living.

Nick Clegg has asked the Lib Dems to 'get used to it' with regard to protests.

Umm, do you not see the issue here Nick? We're not turning on you for the sake of it, you're a set of cunts and need destroying, that's why they're protesting.

'Get used to it'?

Sort of thing I'd imagine Ceaucescu said to his team.

Mercy me, what a fucking mess.

For the record, I voted Labour in the last general election.Don't mind people knowing that, this country was going in the right direction towards the end IMHO.

Lib Dem conference going on literally 2minutes from my flat in City Hall, Sheffield. City is swarming with coppers, big protests planned today apparently.

Manchester TUC and Manchester University SU predicted 350 protestors at the recent North West Lib Dem conference. The final total was 6...

I will literally eat my underpants if he loses it. Literally.

He's not my local MP (I'm now Sheffield Central and was Brightside & Hillsborough for the general election) but the backlash here will be huge, going from the opinions of people I know.

I actually though Clegg was my local MP but I'm about 100 metres away from the boundary, I think, and we're Labour but it was very close with the Lib Dems.

I walked past City Hall last night and there were a fair few hundred people chanting but it was generally peaceful. Nipped in town this morning too and there was no sign of the '10 000' protesters that were supposed to march through town but it was still early.

I will literally eat my underpants if he loses it. Literally.

SD - I really think you're under-estimating just how much he's fallen in people's opinions here. I know a fair few people that live in the Hallam constituency and they're mostly disgusted with him. Students and graduates were all on side with him last time, not a fucking chance they will be at the next elections.

I can't fathom why anyone would vote for Lib Dem now. Presumably if you voted for them you were either a disgruntled Labour voter, or liked what they were selling, things like a more 'grown up' liberalised approach to drugs, a pro-European stance, opposition to Trident and the scrapping of tuition fees. They've pretty much failed to have an impact on anything they set out to do. Voting for the Lib Dems from here on in is merely voting to keep the Tory numbers up - simple as.

I can't believe how SD can sit there and follow a man who is single handedly destroying the Lib Dem parties reputation and being the fall guy for the Tories.

Cameron and Osborne must be laughing their cocks off, while Clegg is left to take the heat. Serves him right for getting into bed with those cunts.

Stronts you are talking shite.

Labour and Labour Co-op candidates both stand under the rose emblem already. Why the need for ne legislation? We've even had Labour and Labour Co-op candidates on the same voting ballot so don't give me that bollocks. I expected a better argument than we're doing it for 'you lot'.

This legislation changes nothing for the Labour party or the Co-op so stop talking crap.

Shut the fuck up! YOU are the one talking crap. This is straight from the CO-OPERATIVE PARTY WEBSITE:

Co-operative Party | Politics for People

LABOUR AND CO-OPERATIVE CANDIDATES ARE GO!

Following last year’s ruling by the Electoral Commission that precluded joint candidates from using an emblem – which was made without warning and after the nominations deadline - we have spent a long year of negotiation with the EC and the Cabinet Office to secure the necessary change to legislation. Finally, today the Statutory Instrument was laid that resolves the anomaly.

This means that Labour & Co-operative candidates for council elections in England will be able to stand this May with the logo on the ballot paper. The Co-operative Party looks forward to working with Labour to win in seats across the country.

Please see the briefing note for detailed guidance. For any further information, please contact Karen Wilkie - k.wilkie@party.coop

Date Posted: 3rd March 2011

Stop perpetuating Labour Party lies.

Clegg was in the papers talking about all the concessions he has forced on the Tory government and whilst they sound good on paper I don't think it will be enough to convince people that they aren't bending over and taking it dry from the Tories.

The concessions we have negotiated sound good because they are good, but unfortunately, most people would rather believe spin from our opponents than the facts - my post preceding this one is perfect proof of that.

The concessions we have negotiated sound good because they are good, but unfortunately, most people would rather believe spin from our opponents than the facts - my post preceding this one is perfect proof of that.

Sound, I wasn't having a go, I just don't think the Lib Dems have done themselves any favours