You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Cameron: "Cuts will change our way of life"

Section_31

EXCL: BBC journalists told to use ‘savings’ instead of ‘cuts’ in news | Liberal Conspiracy

Here's a new one - expect more of this crap now that Rupert has full media control

The best one was the attempt to provide free propoganda, sorry advertising for the Big Society on each television channel!

It seems to me that the Conservatives have thought 'We tried to be nice and caring, and still you never voted for us, but we are in power now so we may as well do what we fucking well want'

Nicky will move to a nice, safe Conservative seat at the next election!

Now I know he's a charismatic fellow, but beating the Tories on their own patch is surely beyond him, so I think he'd rather stay in his nice, safe Lib Dem seat.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

No defence of the election result, Stronts? There's the 'Not enough effort put into the campaign' and 'Clegg didn't support him' excuses. Worth a try, Shirley?

What's to defend - or even comment on, for that matter. "Safe Labour seat held safely by Labour" isn't much of a headline. Lib Dem and Tory voters stayed at home (as did a sixth of Labour voters, incidentally), I don't think I'll be slitting my wrists or anything.

However, good to see how the people of Barnsley reward fraudsters.

*crosses Barnsley off "Places to see" list*

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I guess that's one way to put a 'getting a kicking', as the Lib Dem candidate put it. Furthermore, it's an interesting way to put finishing 6th, behind the BNP, and losing your deposit. An optimistic way to put a fall from 17.3% to 4.18%. Every thing is just rosy. Everybody loves the Lib Dems. Oh yes.

Whist that's sarcastic, I really don't agree with you stance on 'rewarding fraudsters'. Jarvis is no more guilty of Illsley's crime than you or I.

What's to defend - or even comment on, for that matter. "Safe Labour seat held safely by Labour" isn't much of a headline. Lib Dem and Tory voters stayed at home (as did a sixth of Labour voters, incidentally), I don't think I'll be slitting my wrists or anything.

I'd holiday abroad for the next few years SD.

Guest Pistonbroke
Now I know he's a charismatic fellow, but beating the Tories on their own patch is surely beyond him, so I think he'd rather stay in his nice, safe Lib Dem seat.

Won't be many of those come the next election!!!

I don't understand why Clegg joined the coalition. Here in Canada we've had 2 consecutive minority Conservative governments since 2006. This minority is led by a man and an inner circle that would like nothing more than to turn Canada into frigid version of Texas (god, guns, wars, and prisons) yet he has been prevented as such by the fact that he does not have the confidence of the house to go down that road. We've had 5 years of fairly sensible moderate government as a result.

From a political point of view it seems to me that a minority partner (in your case the Liberal Dem's) that enables an unpopular coalition is going to be the party in for the shit when the next election comes around.

What the fuck are you talking about? Dan Jarvis or the Labour party cannot be held responsible for one former MP's dodgy actions - that's like saying that all Lib Dems are repressed homosexuals and expense fiddlers because David Laws is a member.

What the fuck are you talking about? Dan Jarvis or the Labour party cannot be held responsible for one former MP's dodgy actions - that's like saying that all Lib Dems are repressed homosexuals and expense fiddlers because David Laws is a member.

Take your pick of the cunts:

Liverpool Lib Dem councillor’s company in funding probe - Liverpool Local News - News - Liverpool Echo

Liverpool Echo - News - Liverpool Local News - Gun hoax shame sees Bootle Liberal Democrat banned from party conference

Liverpool Echo - News - Liverpool Local News - Disabled row Liverpool Liberal Democrat rapped after party investigation

I don't understand why Clegg joined the coalition. Here in Canada we've had 2 consecutive minority Conservative governments since 2006. This minority is led by a man and an inner circle that would like nothing more than to turn Canada into frigid version of Texas (god, guns, wars, and prisons) yet he has been prevented as such by the fact that he does not have the confidence of the house to go down that road. We've had 5 years of fairly sensible moderate government as a result.

From a political point of view it seems to me that a minority partner (in your case the Liberal Dem's) that enables an unpopular coalition is going to be the party in for the shit when the next election comes around.

He is an idiot that's why, his supporters say he had no choice, as if we are supposed to live in some sort of dictatorship whereby people get power by default and exclude what people voted for for the sake of some 4th dimension mandate written out by corporations that must be carried out no matter who is in government and who voted for what.

THEY ARE ALL TRAVELLING THE SAME ROAD TO RACK AND RUIN.

Lost his deposit, brilliant.

Nick Clegg: He told Sky News that he had no doubt people would seek to "write off" the Lib Dems on the basis of a single result. "We have proved them wrong in the past and we will prove them wrong again"

I'm struggling to think how the Liberals have proved people wrong, they have been in terminal decline for well over a century.

I think Nicky needs to read a bit of history, should probably read the Strange Death of Liberal England by G Dangerfield.

Edit: I head somewhere that the Independent didn't actually have any policies, just stood because he was disgusted with the state of politics in this country. Can anyone confirm?

I'm impressed that Labour increased its majority despite the turnout being low,36 or 37% I believe.

Fuck the rubbish about share of the vote because most of the stay at home voters would have been Labour voters anyway but its a shame they didnt really rub the noses of the opposition parties in the shit.

The thing about the Lib Dem's is that a lot of people expected better from them while nobody is the least bit surprised at the Tories dismantling public services to please their paymasters and this is why the Lib Dems are going to get it with both barrels until Cameron's Fag Clegg officially defects to the Tories and allows a real Lib Dem MP to become leader and try to tidy up the mess he created.

Lost his deposit, brilliant.

Nick Clegg: He told Sky News that he had no doubt people would seek to "write off" the Lib Dems on the basis of a single result. "We have proved them wrong in the past and we will prove them wrong again"

I'm struggling to think how the Liberals have proved people wrong, they have been in terminal decline for well over a century.

I don't know mate, haven't they done that with most everyone who believed their campaign promises?

Done a damn thorough job of it too so far.

Seriously mate, you are losing credibility fast here. Its the likes of you, the people at the grass roots of your party, who should be calling on your leadership to take heed of results like this and demanding that they listen to the people before it's too late.

This experiment is gonna destroy your party mate. I'll be quite happy for that to happen, but you clearly care enough about them to spend time on here fighting their corner. They're letting you down. Stop them before it's too late.

Seriously mate' date=' you are losing credibility fast here. Its the likes of you, the people at the grass roots of your party, who should be calling on your leadership to take heed of results like this and demanding that they listen to the people before it's too late.

This experiment is gonna destroy your party mate. I'll be quite happy for that to happen, but you clearly care enough about them to spend time on here fighting their corner. They're letting you down. Stop them before it's too late.[/quote']

I would save your time and energy mate, a cursory glance at history shows his predictions always fail so to take him serious and try and engage with him is just ignorant of his history and the precedent he has set himself. Everything he backs turns to shit and Nick Clegg is not immune to it, in fact the more he backs him, the surer he is the more obvious it should be that Nick is failing. The more people lay into Nick the surer SD becomes he was right all along. People have tried all kinds of tactics, nice, nasty, harsh reality-not a flicker but a brain is a complex thing, you can't unfry an egg like that. Leave the man at the fruit machine I say and drink your pint as you can't undrink the pint so don't sorry about that and you can't save that man with reason, he is going to put all his money into the machine and pull the lever no matter what, if he wins 1 time in 10 it's enough to keep him going through the next 9 failures until his next slight vindication comes along. These people normally claim to have used some basis or fact or figure as support but you don't prove such things you can only truly unprove them to find real truth. This truth of reality has long been lost/discarded by such fools due to bad parenting, ego indulgence and self righteousness permitted, that's the child he was that made him the man he is today, what was, will always will was and has been. They should have taught him the knowledge of ignorance rather than ignorance and knowledge, they should have taught him the unknown and how to deal with it rather than the known, I call it neurotic nanny knowledge syndrome. A common ailment sadly.

I guess that's one way to put a 'getting a kicking', as the Lib Dem candidate put it. Furthermore, it's an interesting way to put finishing 6th, behind the BNP, and losing your deposit. An optimistic way to put a fall from 17.3% to 4.18%. Every thing is just rosy. Everybody loves the Lib Dems. Oh yes.

Whist that's sarcastic...

No, really, sarcasm you say?

I didn't say everything was rosy, I said I wouldn't be slitting my wrists. I know you like to think we shit ourselves over results like this, but we all knew this coalition was a long game before we entered into it.

The government, and the Lib Dems, will not succeed or fail based on voters sitting on their hands in a 2011 by-election in which neither coalition partner had any chance anyway. It will come down to what economic state the country is in 2015.

You know what they say about a week being a long time in politics; come back to me in four fucking years, and then maybe what you or anyone else has to say will be timely and relevant. Right now you're eating raw eggs and telling me the chef can't cook an omelette.

Canada is not a great comparison for the UK. You have an essentially two party system, one of which is the Canadian version of the Lib Dems, and the other of which is total batshit insanity, the likes of which cannot be found in the British mainstream.

As to why Clegg did it, the answer is obvious: this is the one chance in a generation to break the Tory/Labour duopoly, to get Lib Dem policies into law, to effect electoral reform and to change politics in this country forever.

Seriously mate' date=' you are losing credibility fast here. Its the likes of you, the people at the grass roots of your party, who should be calling on your leadership to take heed of results like this and demanding that they listen to the people before it's too late.

This experiment is gonna destroy your party mate. I'll be quite happy for that to happen, but you clearly care enough about them to spend time on here fighting their corner. They're letting you down. Stop them before it's too late.[/quote']

Oh, really, what do you suppose someone like me should do? Maybe I can pick up the phone and give Nick a call. "Hey Cleggy baby, you know that £1 trillion debt which grows by £120 million a day? Maybe we should just forget the fuck about that and leave the next mugs to clear it up."

The only people who have no credibility is the Labour Party. Their planned cuts were nine tenths as severe as what the coalition is enacting, but nobody knows what they would have been because they won't tell us. I don't blame them - far better to see other people becoming unpopular clearing up your mess than getting your hands dirty yourself. No wonder so many of their senior figures actively obstructed a coalition deal with the Lib Dems.

The day I support ANYTHING just because it's the populist option is the day I give up politics and move to Outer Mongolia.