You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa 99% certain to leave after pay-off agreed

ReddOrDedd

Do you think Kenny himself feels he's being used? Give the King a bit of credit here. He's not a fucking dope.

Like I've said, I'd imagine he would take the job on an interim basis because of his love for Liverpool and because he perceives it to be what is right for the club. I think the Americans would be the furthest thing from his mind, to be honest.

As you said he's not a dope and I'm 100% sure that at some level he has asked himself if the Leeches are using him.

Perhaps he's asked himself the question and said yes I am, but I think the replacement of Benitez and someone trying to bring harmony to the club is the best way to go forward and therefore it's acceptable to be used.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rafa exit not a consequence of player power

03/06/2010

Now it has become clear that the club no longer want Rafa Benitez at Anfield, there are a couple of issues that need clearing up...

Rafa decided last week to move the situation forward when he told me – for an article published in The Daily Mirror – that he wanted to stay. He put forward his reasons for lowering expectations and defended his good record at the club. However, the warning was there; that he would stay, “if he`s allowed”. He hasn`t been allowed, and the club feels the situation has stagnated.

Rafa told me he would love to stay but there were many obstacles. I have the impression that he had a clear idea that not everybody at the club backed him and many were happy to leave him out there in the firing line to take the blame for a disappointing and frustrating season – instead of them admitting that the team`s results were the consequence of a club that had the financial resources to enter the race in a family hatchback - but wanted the results of a Ferrari - But Rafa was NOT talking about the players at the club.

So, is player power behind all of this, as many are reporting? I think it is more a case of club power: people within the club hierarchy have decided there is no point in keeping the manager and he is the easy option to take the blame.

The reports of a complete breakdown in his relationship with key players are false. For example, Rafa called Steven Gerrard on the player`s birthday last Sunday and the pair chatted for 20 minutes.

If Gerrard is seriously thinking about a move it is not because of Rafa, but because there have been so many promises unfulfilled by the people running the club and the Liverpool captain may feel that he must go elsewhere in order to compete for titles. For an elite player, like Gerrard, titles define a career and he has given most of his professional life to Liverpool – understandably he is thinking about a move because the club is not moving in the right direction.

Gerrard has four offers from English clubs and there have been conversations with Real Madrid. Mourinho would love to work with either Lampard or Gerrard and if Mourinho convinces the Real Madrid president to fund a move, then an offer will be made for one of them. Gerrard has not conspired against Rafa even though it is quite likely that the long relationship between them had become professional. I have said before that, in my opinion, the intensive methods of Rafa, means that his squads need to be recycled regularly - every 2-3 years - for their full potential to be realised.

But reports of the distance between Rafa and his players have been grossly exaggerated – granted, he is not their best friend either, but that was not the ultimate reason for his departure. When Ryan Babel suffered an injury scare last week that threatened his place in the Dutch World Cup squad, Rafa was on the phone to him immediately to give him support.

It is true that certain players who do not feature regularly for the first team are not all entirely happy – but that is normal under any manager at any club – and it requires a huge leap of imagination to say that unhappiness brings conspiracies against the manager. The impression I am getting from key players is that they hate the idea of people thinking it was a player power versus Benitez – rather a frustration at a 7th placed finish and 4 years without a trophy and the growing sense that unless there are changes – at all levels – little will change.

My own view is that, in hindsight, if Benitez had focused all of his resources on winning the Premier League instead of trying to challenge for the cup competitions as well, maybe his story at Liverpool would have been different: delivering a league title at Anfield given the circumstances and resources of the club at the moment would have given him a huge amount of credit with the club, fans and media.

However, as he admitted to me in his last interview as Liverpool manager, during his six years at Liverpool, Manchester have United averaged 83 points a season, Chelsea 77.8 and Arsenal 77 - and in two of those seasons Liverpool have broken their all time record points tally - 82 points in 2006 and 86 in 2009. Yet even that appears to have not been enough.

So what`s next?

Reaching a severance agreement will not be easy. Rafa will remain in holiday in Sardinia while the lawyers do the talking - and the £3 million being offered might not be enough…

Benitez` best option was Juventus: he did consider it, but was never entirely convinced because he felt there was a chance to stay and finish the job at Anfield. Inter Milan is the most likely option, but taking on the job of managing a club with an ageing squad that has just won everything is not a challenge many would relish.

http://www.guillembalague.com/blog_desp.php?titulo=Rafa+exit+not+a+consequence+of+player+power&id=455

Rafa exit not a consequence of player power

03/06/2010

Now it has become clear that the club no longer want Rafa Benitez at Anfield, there are a couple of issues that need clearing up...

Rafa decided last week to move the situation forward when he told me – for an article published in The Daily Mirror – that he wanted to stay. He put forward his reasons for lowering expectations and defended his good record at the club. However, the warning was there; that he would stay, “if he`s allowed”. He hasn`t been allowed, and the club feels the situation has stagnated.

Rafa told me he would love to stay but there were many obstacles. I have the impression that he had a clear idea that not everybody at the club backed him and many were happy to leave him out there in the firing line to take the blame for a disappointing and frustrating season – instead of them admitting that the team`s results were the consequence of a club that had the financial resources to enter the race in a family hatchback - but wanted the results of a Ferrari - But Rafa was NOT talking about the players at the club.

So, is player power behind all of this, as many are reporting? I think it is more a case of club power: people within the club hierarchy have decided there is no point in keeping the manager and he is the easy option to take the blame.

The reports of a complete breakdown in his relationship with key players are false. For example, Rafa called Steven Gerrard on the player`s birthday last Sunday and the pair chatted for 20 minutes.

If Gerrard is seriously thinking about a move it is not because of Rafa, but because there have been so many promises unfulfilled by the people running the club and the Liverpool captain may feel that he must go elsewhere in order to compete for titles. For an elite player, like Gerrard, titles define a career and he has given most of his professional life to Liverpool – understandably he is thinking about a move because the club is not moving in the right direction.

Gerrard has four offers from English clubs and there have been conversations with Real Madrid. Mourinho would love to work with either Lampard or Gerrard and if Mourinho convinces the Real Madrid president to fund a move, then an offer will be made for one of them. Gerrard has not conspired against Rafa even though it is quite likely that the long relationship between them had become professional. I have said before that, in my opinion, the intensive methods of Rafa, means that his squads need to be recycled regularly - every 2-3 years - for their full potential to be realised.

But reports of the distance between Rafa and his players have been grossly exaggerated – granted, he is not their best friend either, but that was not the ultimate reason for his departure. When Ryan Babel suffered an injury scare last week that threatened his place in the Dutch World Cup squad, Rafa was on the phone to him immediately to give him support.

It is true that certain players who do not feature regularly for the first team are not all entirely happy – but that is normal under any manager at any club – and it requires a huge leap of imagination to say that unhappiness brings conspiracies against the manager. The impression I am getting from key players is that they hate the idea of people thinking it was a player power versus Benitez – rather a frustration at a 7th placed finish and 4 years without a trophy and the growing sense that unless there are changes – at all levels – little will change.

My own view is that, in hindsight, if Benitez had focused all of his resources on winning the Premier League instead of trying to challenge for the cup competitions as well, maybe his story at Liverpool would have been different: delivering a league title at Anfield given the circumstances and resources of the club at the moment would have given him a huge amount of credit with the club, fans and media.

However, as he admitted to me in his last interview as Liverpool manager, during his six years at Liverpool, Manchester have United averaged 83 points a season, Chelsea 77.8 and Arsenal 77 - and in two of those seasons Liverpool have broken their all time record points tally - 82 points in 2006 and 86 in 2009. Yet even that appears to have not been enough.

So what`s next?

Reaching a severance agreement will not be easy. Rafa will remain in holiday in Sardinia while the lawyers do the talking - and the £3 million being offered might not be enough…

Benitez` best option was Juventus: he did consider it, but was never entirely convinced because he felt there was a chance to stay and finish the job at Anfield. Inter Milan is the most likely option, but taking on the job of managing a club with an ageing squad that has just won everything is not a challenge many would relish.

Guillem Balague Football Website | Rafa exit not a consequence of player power

I don't understand when people say "Leeches are using Kenny". What exactly does that mean? If Kenny is appointed, do you seriously think people will start warming up to the two cunts? Of course not.

I don't know if they meant it, but they have publicly announced the club is for sale. And if they think the top players might leave if Rafa stays (pure speculation of course), they have no choice other than to sack him. In my opinion, this is the case right now.

Kenny might bring some sort of harmony, at least on the playing field. He "might" convince players like Gerrard and Torres to stay. If he does, at least we will be "OK" in the short term. Not brilliant not piss poor, just OK. I think this is exactly what we need right now, in the short term. In the long term, the club will still have to be sold and Kenny or whoever the manager is, will need lots of cash to compete. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to argue with that. But I don't think SoS and fans will start warming up to the americans just because Kenny has been appointed as the manager.

I cant see Gerrard going if Kenny is the new boss, this very likely applies to Torres too.

In that sense Kenny is already off to a flier.

Benitez lost the players the night we went out to Lyon, in my view.

We've had a squad that had decided they werent putting their world cups on the line for Rafa since February.

The main thing is keeping what players we have, as any funds raised will go straight to Texas. We doactually have some real talent there, its easy to forget that, the way Benitez has been running things.

In a similair vein i can see an upside to O'Neil coming if we are forced to sell the big names. He does get the max out of pigs ears.

We were linked with Milner, but O'Neil,instead of buying a crocked Aquilani, bought him for a fuck sight less. O Neil isnt the anti christ, he does well with average players,which is what we might be looking at.

Benitez going is a good thing. If only that it will now focus the ire on the stooges.

Sorry but I think you're missing the point. I don't think Benitez is being sacked because the players don't like him. I think Benitez is being sacked because he is demanding that the board meet his expectations and ambitions in terms of allowing him to build a team to compete. They are unable or unwilling to do that for whatever reason and it seems that the daggers are already being put in place for plunging into Benitez back.

I Could be wrong.

Agreed. It is a fucking disgrace to be honest. They were in the board meeting until 23:30 last night apparently but the news broke out well before that. The club is absolutely rotten to the core mate, no doubt about that.

I hope they all die soon.

hang on.

Tony Barrett broke this news. Do you seriously think he'd do anything to damage Rafa?

Read his stuff at the Times and then suggest 'the board' told him about the 3m offer.

Sky Sports News is dreadful.

The 'experts' ( Redknapp & Fairclough ) haven't mentioned the owners at all & seem generally to be expounding that Rafa is going basically because Stevie doesn't like him, which I can't imagine Gerrard will be thrilled about.

The only sense being spoken is by the faxes & e-mails.

Unbelievable sight on Sky Sports News a minute ago - Jamie Redknapp was talking live about Rafa going and that FAT TALENTLESS CUNT James Corden started 'being funny' in the background. I didn't think that fecking idiot could seem any more punchable, but he's managed it.

Sorry but I think you're missing the point. I don't think Benitez is being sacked because the players don't like him. I think Benitez is being sacked because he is demanding that the board meet his expectations and ambitions in terms of allowing him to build a team to compete. They are unable or unwilling to do that for whatever reason and it seems that the daggers are already being put in place for plunging into Benitez back.

I Could be wrong.

For once, i totally agree with Kennys spell.

He's being sacked because of the dreadful season we've just had, pure and simple. His job was tenable, even with the number of enemies he makes, whilst he was enjoying a modicum of success. As soon as he took his eye off the ball and failed to qualify for Europe, the knives were out.

Glad he is going.

For me it's been a few years to late (yes even based on last season)

I don't want Kenny as our manager, but I'm happy for him to be a temp until we find a suitable one.

I will pray every day now that Hodgson and O'Neill stay well away from our club.

Lawyers haggling over millions of pounds. Makes me fucking sick.

If he had anything about him he should have resigned at the of the season.

Rubbish.

The club gave him a contract which stipulated he was entitled to a fee should that contract be terminated. Why the fuck should Rafa walk away for free? Would that happen in any other line of work? Yes, the numbers are big but the club where not forced to agree to that contract where they. I certainly would rather see Rafa take some of the money he is ENTITLED to than those two bastards pocketing it which is exactly what will happen, it certainly won't go on transfer funds for Phil Brown anyway.

Guest ian garro
I don't understand when people say "Leeches are using Kenny". What exactly does that mean? If Kenny is appointed, do you seriously think people will start warming up to the two cunts? Of course not.

There were enough people on here accusing Benitez of "cosying up" to Hicks, not so long back. I dont see what the difference would be.

In any case, I think the King is making a rod for his own back here. If you look at the reaction posted by WaltonRed, earlier to the news that it'll be Kenny, that's exactly what the owners/heirarchy are banking on, I'd wager - throw them some scraps from the table... keep them quiet.

I'm not sure I even care anymore.

Rubbish.

The club gave him a contract which stipulated he was entitled to a fee should that contract be terminated. Why the fuck should Rafa walk away for free? Would that happen in any other line of work? Yes, the numbers are big but the club where not forced to agree to that contract where they. I certainly would rather see Rafa take some of the money he is ENTITLED to than those two bastards pocketing it which is exactly what will happen, it certainly won't go on transfer funds for Phil Brown anyway.

I was just thinking of you! Not you as a poster, but Randy Marsh, I had visions of him running around shouting 'Kenny's back, Kenny's back, yeah!'

Ballague has just been on TV saying the players are protesting it's nothing to do with them - it's all down to results. Phew, lucky they didn't have anything to do with the results!

Wow that's a relief.

I hope he takes those two scumbag twats for every fucking penny. He has been treated disgustingly in this debacle. The 2 twats and their new cronies have acted with no dignity and treated Rafa with no respect. No matter whether people wanted him gone or not, having it played out like this is disgraceful.

Whatever happened to the Liverpool way?

I don't understand when people say "Leeches are using Kenny". What exactly does that mean?

Do you really not know what they mean or are you just refusing to acknowledge what is being said? Already the talk is of Kenny being "temporary, until the club is sold and we can get a real world class manager in" - what if this period of 'temporary' stewardship gets extended because 'it's difficult to get the right sort of owners etc - and during that time the world markets recover to the extent that borrowing money and extending loans becomes much easier allowing certain types of businessmen to take advantage of the situation. Would you accept that he could have been used to give them breathing space?

If Kenny is appointed, do you seriously think people will start warming up to the two cunts? Of course not.

So what? People are not very "warm" towards them now but they're still piling the cash into their pockets and not giving a shit about those nasty people calling them names aren't they?

I don't know if they meant it, but they have publicly announced the club is for sale.

General rule of thumb - if the Leeches say anything, don't believe them at best they're not telling you all the story at worst they're fucking lying. They appear to find the latter easier to do.

Kenny might bring some sort of harmony, at least on the playing field. He "might" convince players like Gerrard and Torres to stay. If he does, at least we will be "OK" in the short term. Not brilliant not piss poor, just OK. I think this is exactly what we need right now, in the short term.

Liverpool FC, planning for the "short term" - we really have become Newcastle United in Spades!

In the long term, the club will still have to be sold

No it won't, don't be so niave - if the markets recover they can do what they like - it's their club, they own it, no one can force them to do anything with it that they don't want.

Getting rid of Benitez and Putting Kenny in place STILL leaves the Leeches with all the cards.