You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stanley Park to be ditched.

BolshieBastard

Been saying it on here for some time now.

LIVERPOOL STADIUM PLANS IN JEOPARDY | News Of The World

LIVERPOOL risk seeing their plans for a new stadium on Stanley Park ditched for good.

In another dire twist for Kop fans wondering whether the £400m arena will ever be built, it's emerged the American owners still haven't secured the 999-year lease required to build on the historic site.

Without the lease, which costs £300,000 a year, Liverpool can't begin construction.

The local council expected the lease to be purchased TWO YEARS ago.

The club now has until September 2011 to restart the project before planning permission runs out.

Co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr said the project was 'shelved' last season due to the credit crunch.

If they're forced to re-apply for planning permission in 17 months' time, it will be another lengthy and costly process with no guarantee of success.

Further delays are anticipated because new Kop chairman Martin Broughton last week stated if finance is ever secured the building work would be going back out to tender.

Previously, Liverpool's owners had an agreement with constructors Laing O'Rourke, who've now been told to re-apply for the contract.

In a move which further underlines there is no immediate prospect of leaving Anfield, the club will oversee a facelift of their own stadium this summer.

They're splashing out an estimated £500,000 on the renovation of existing executive boxes to improve their corporate facilities.

Council officials are understood to be 'extremely frustrated and anxious' that Liverpool are ploughing resources into improving their current home whilst the delays on the new arena continue.

A spokesman for Liverpool City Council said: "The main issue for us is about work on the stadium which will start the regeneration of the whole Anfield area."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss

That rag of a paper is ok on here though.

None story though, why would they bother buying that 300k lease when they aren't planning on building it anyway.

That rag of a paper is ok on here though.

None story though, why would they bother buying that 300k lease when they aren't planning on building it anyway.

Yep.

That said, Im more than ever convinced Anfield will now be redeveloped. This wasnt an option before but with the cost of a new stadium now well out of our reach, although redeveloping Anfield will also have increased, its more attainable than the new stadium.

The Anny Road can be rebuilt starting from the boundary of the park building forward over the road to join the existing structure.

Anyone who says this isnt possible obviously wasnt around when the Main Stand was reroofed and extended in 70 - 71 I think it was.

Re building the Main Stand again could be done the same way if the houses behind are demolished and we build forward. The big difference here though is that the majority of the Main Stand is still the old pre 70 - 71 structure.

If we wanted a complete new build then the stand will be totally unuseable during this period which would hit the club revenue.

Still, even this would be less of a drain than 400m on a complete new stadium.

Guest ShoePiss
Yep.

That said, Im more than ever convinced Anfield will now be redeveloped. This wasnt an option before but with the cost of a new stadium now well out of our reach, although redeveloping Anfield will also have increased, its more attainable than the new stadium.

The Anny Road can be rebuilt starting from the boundary of the park building forward over the road to join the existing structure.

Anyone who says this isnt possible obviously wasnt around when the Main Stand was reroofed and extended in 70 - 71 I think it was.

Re building the Main Stand again could be done the same way if the houses behind are demolished and we build forward. The big difference here though is that the majority of the Main Stand is still the old pre 70 - 71 structure.

If we wanted a complete new build then the stand will be totally unuseable during this period which would hit the club revenue.

Still, even this would be less of a drain than 400m on a complete new stadium.

I'm not convinced that it is financially viable, oh and yeah I wasn't around in 1970.

The main stand is the big problem really, having that out of action for a season, possibly longer just wouldn't work. No idea how you would do that in stages, it needs leveling and starting again.

Guest ShoePiss
Still can't get my head around why that paper is accepted on here. It's the Sunday S*n.

I think it's because Bascombe scrawls for them.

I wouldn't touch the paper or the website with a shitty stick personally.

I'm not convinced that it is financially viable, oh and yeah I wasn't around in 1970.

The main stand is the big problem really, having that out of action for a season, possibly longer just wouldn't work. No idea how you would do that in stages, it needs leveling and starting again.

Staying and redeveloping Anfield wasnt viable when the new stadium was going to cost 80m - 120m on the fixed price contract.

The new stadium will now cost upto 400m by all accounts.

As I've said, the Anny Road could be extended with minimum disruption if timed right. The stand would have to be built from the park forward and over the road before being joined to the existing structure. The only difficult bit would be taking the existing roof off.

The same process could be used for the Main Stand and when re roofed and extended in 71, wasnt out of commission totally.

But, if we go for a full rebuild (which should be preferred) then there will be loss of income. But, because Anny Road had been extended to be something like 18000 seats ie double what it is now, the loss of income from the Main Stand could be accommodated.

I'd like us to look at redeveloping Anfield, I get the impression it's never been seriously considered but in today's economic market it might be the best option.

Ideally it would pretty much be levelled and started from scratch but that wouldn't be possible. Unless we played a season somewhere else; Goodison perhaps?!

I'd like us to look at redeveloping Anfield, I get the impression it's never been seriously considered but in today's economic market it might be the best option.

Ideally it would pretty much be levelled and started from scratch but that wouldn't be possible. Unless we played a season somewhere else; Goodison perhaps?!

Nah that's never going to happen (levelling Anfield and starting again).

Kop and Centenary will likely stay as they are. I dont know whether provisions were made in their build to increase their size.

Only areas to be re developed are the Main Stand and Anny Road.

I think we'd also need to demolish some local houses that would stand in the way of stadium expansion, and iirc the residents in question were always opposed to relocation for the sake of an Anfield redevelopment job.

And yes, we would also have to arrange to play at Goodison, something I doubt the bitters would happily help us with.

Some food for thought:

mainstand4.jpg

mainstand1l.jpg

mainstandseated.jpg

shadowsf.jpg

And these even before expanding the Anfield Road end, which shouldn't be a problem seeing as we own every building behind it now as they were bought up for the new stadium.

except the council may say no if you stay at the present ground,we don't want any hassle with anfield road.and want it to remain open as it is for traffic.

Looks like some random crap thrown together by a kid from belfast and chucked up on a message board.

Why Belfast? And of course they're not real plans.

Anfield Road is hardly a busy road. And it wouldn't need to be closed, it could be moved back and bend around the stand or the stand could be built over the street.

Bollocks to the council. We're one of the biggest football clubs in the world.

Anfield Road is hardly a busy road. And it wouldn't need to be closed, it could be moved back and bend around the stand or the stand could be built over the street.

the council will not do that.also the back of annie road is now the food village and beyond that is the carpark.the only way anything will happen to anfield road is if the new stadium is built and the present ground is turned into anfield plaza.

Bollocks to the council. We're one of the biggest football clubs in the world.

Because that's where the kid that designed them is from.