You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Juventus begin to hire backroom staff for Liverpool boss Benitez

bonesman

You don't believe any of those journalists or "other sources" have spoken to Rafa off the record at any point?

Perhaps it's all just been incredibly convenient for him that these rumours spring at such fortuitous times. I personally have some fairly large doubts on that front though.

The "all" is kind of misleading too, the manager who cried wolf.

"Oh no, you can't pin that on me, I didn't start that one"

Kind of irrelevant really. He can certainly claim that a lot of it was arm-twisting and emotional blackmail to get more transfer money though. Read about Good Old Roy and how he didn't get this or that player (post-Collymore), and he just got on with it. Fat lot of good it did him.

As far as managerial principles are concerned, any Red of a certain age had their chance to stand up for Integrity in 1992, when the club retained the services of a man who sold his soul to the Scum. Few if any stayed away.

Mourinho would be Bobby Moore in comparison to that cunt, so the puffed up outrage is a bit wearying to be honest.

And I'll be amazed if we even need to have the debate really. Surely he's going to Madrid now?

It is no excuse for the dire football and lack of progress on the pitch, but it sure puts Rafa's politics in another perspective as his political struggle has mainly been about trying to achieve what we all want: Investment in the team and success for the club.

I suppose that was why he had to start moaning in the press about extending his (already long term) contract at a crucial point during last season?

And this latest stuff about no one giving him assurances?

Yes, those comments were about success and investment. Definitely.

I take a lot articles with "other sources" or "sources close to the club" with a pinch of salt.

It's agenda driven bullshit.

In his time here he has constantly said he has a job to do and a contract to see out.

So nobody actually putting their name as opposed to be a "source" is somebody who is looking out fo rnumber one. So therefore until a name is put to where the information comes from, it is exactly what it is, a rumour.

Some of it will be. Some of it will come from clubs who are interested. Some might come from his agent. Some might come from him. Journalists are not in the habit of revealing their sources, so you will be waiting a long time on that one. Papers do occasionally get things right as well by the way, and many journalists have professional integrity. If you choose to believe nothing you read in the papers then you're living in an information vacuum. Most people read, digest, compare, and judge for themselves what they think has some veracity.

The wise thing to do if you wanted to agitate politically for more control or a better contract would be to have the story leaked and then publically state that you have a contract and are focussing on your job, without actually denying it.

My feeling is that Rafa is not unopposed to political manouevering through the press of this type. You believe otherwise. That's ok.

I suppose that was why he had to start moaning in the press about extending his (already long term) contract at a crucial point during last season?

And this latest stuff about no one giving him assurances?

Yes, those comments were about success and investment. Definitely.

"Mainly" being the important word here.

And him starting moaning in public last year was the only way he could force the Yanks to make a decision which could allow him to plan further ahead for both the club and himself.

I can't really see the problem with that. The problem is what has gone on in the most of our 50+ games this season.

I hoped you were right then and still do now, infact moreso now.

Too many rumours flying around now for one of them not to true.

There seems to be a lot of smoke coming out. Very persisting, reminds me of the Gerrard rumours back in 2005 after the CL win.

Like the rumours of Gerrard and some 16yr old, behave.

According to Rumour, Rafa was leaving before every 'must win' SKY tm, game in the last 3 years.

We and he did it to Valencia in 04 and having seen a list of 'alternates' mentioned continually in the press over the last 3 years, who can blame him for keeping his options open.

Indeed, in any walk of life, who hasnt always got an ear out for something else ? Im sure Gerrard and Torres have too.

Like the rumours of Gerrard and some 16yr old, behave.

No, not like those. Those were scurrillous personal attacks spread by mobile phone and facebook. This is a lot of similar articles relating to Rafa's professional conduct from a media which has a responsibility to attempt to report fairly and accurately, although not all of it's proponents are equally accomplished in this regard.

"Mainly" being the important word here.

And him starting moaning in public last year was the only way he could force the Yanks to make a decision which could allow him to plan further ahead for both the club and himself.

I can't really see the problem with that. The problem is what has gone on in the most of our 50+ games this season.

He had a contract with a season and a half left to run at the time. What plans did he need to make?

I can't see how signing players, even ones for the future, couldn't be done without knowing how long he was going to stay himself.

And furthermore, why discuss this through the press?

Juventus Ready To Close Deal For Liverpool Coach Rafael Benitez - Report - Goal.com

Juventus president Jean-Claude Blanc will fly out to Liverpool next week to close a deal for Rafael Benitez, who has informed the Italians that there are no problems relating to his future arrival in Turin, according to Sky Sport 24.

They report Juve's strategy as being a clear and concise one. First, Blanc will wrap up the transfer for Benitez after agreeing a deal, then he will head to Genoa and seal an agreement with Sampdoria sporting director Giuseppe Marotta. Blucerchiati president Riccardo Garrone has already given the Italian the all-clear to join Juve.

Marotta will then approve budgets and transfers strategies for Benitez to use in the summer.

The Spanish coach will earn €4 million per annum wages, with an extra €1m to spend on his backroom staff as he intends to select his own team of assistants.

Juventus are now trying to negotiate with Liverpool to help the Spaniard climb out of his 2014 contract. Reports have suggested it will take €16m to release Benitez from Anfield, but the Old Lady is hopeful of doing it for half that amount.

Blanc will now head to Anfield and speak directly with Liverpool so all parties can reach an agreement that satisfies needs and ensures there are no further obstacles.

While it deosnt mean he's not leaving, icant see this scenario being true. He's always had poor realtions with DoF types. He didnt get on with teh chap at Valenciia, who signed him a lampshade when he wanted a sofa, he fell out with Parry and the whole contract think was a power struggle with Parry about control of transfers and the academy.

I cant really see him leaving us to work under someone elses ideas, when he's fought so hard to get the autonomy he craves here.

Lie I said, it deosnt mean the Juve link is false, but i dont think this story has much going for it.

He had a contract with a season and a half left to run at the time. What plans did he need to make?

I can't see how signing players, even ones for the future, couldn't be done without knowing how long he was going to stay himself.

And furthermore, why discuss this through the press?

Plans to make sure he wasn't replaced by the likes of Klinsmann? And the press might just have been necessary to make the Yanks listen, as his more private requests could've fallen on deaf ears.

Neither scenario sound unreasonable to me.

As far as managerial principles are concerned, any Red of a certain age had their chance to stand up for Integrity in 1992, when the club retained the services of a man who sold his soul to the Scum. Few if any stayed away.

Mourinho would be Bobby Moore in comparison to that cunt, so the puffed up outrage is a bit wearying to be honest.

That has to be one of the weakest arguments for not criticising Mourinho, you got it wrong in 92', so fuck off if you think you are allowed to have an opinion now!

It's bollocks, the playing down of the Midget's ego and the inflamation of Rafa's by a lot of Liverpool fans is pathetic drivel.

O'Neill would be the perfect appointment for the owners.

Due to his contract he would cost little outlay to get him, he would not be bothered about the fact we are not going to be in the Champions League and knows the Premiership very well.

Doubt he would be making noises about wanting £60m to spend on players either.

In terms of style, I thin MoN would be worse. In terms of rep, I think MoN would be worse, I couldnt see Juve, Inter, Madrid etc looking to MoN to sort out their troubles for example.

However, you cant argue with MoNs achievments, he's done a good job wherever he's been.

That said, if anyone would be 'cheap' and give the owners even more time (when they announce the refinacning of the refinancing of the refinancing) would be the return of the King.

He's already at the club, well respected, mates with Purslow and however much I want Rafa to succeed, what could be a more heartwarming and splendid sight than Kenny parading no19 round anfield ? I dont know how he'd do, its been along time, his time at Celtic with JB awful, but his character and wit, ie his man skills, should still be there.

In terms of style, I thin MoN would be worse. In terms of rep, I think MoN would be worse, I couldnt see Juve, Inter, Madrid etc looking to MoN to sort out their troubles for example.

However, you cant argue with MoNs achievments, he's done a good job wherever he's been.

You can though!

We are not talking about a manager who will do a good job, we are talking about a manager who is able to win the league, that is the crux of the matter, he has to be able to win the league.

Martin O'Neil did well with Leicester, as a number of other managers have done well with similiar clubs, Fat Sam, McLaren, Souness!

But what has he done with Villa? His first big premiership club, in four years and lot of money they are still trying to break into the top four, no trophies, one final appearance and his antics in last years UEFA cup have been put into context by Fulham this year. He is also 58, not exactly a young up and coming manager with promise.

You can though!

We are not talking about a manager who will do a good job, we are talking about a manager who is able to win the league, that is the crux of the matter, he has to be able to win the league.

Martin O'Neil did well with Leicester, as a number of other managers have done well with similiar clubs, Fat Sam, McLaren, Souness!

But what has he done with Villa? His first big premiership club, in four years and lot of money they are still trying to break into the top four, no trophies, one final appearance and his antics in last years UEFA cup have been put into context by Fulham this year. He is also 58, not exactly a young up and coming manager with promise.

mate, you know who I think the best man for the job is, inspite of this season.

In the past 7 seasons, only one manager, at two clubs, has broken the duopoly of the big two in Spain and England, whilst also reaching 5 European semis in that time, wh is it.

Well its certinaly not MoN is it !

However, if Rafa leaves, i doubt we'll be able to attract anyone other than MoN or Kenny, so in the Coop spiriti of supporting whoever our manager, is, you can't deny MoN has done well at Leicester and now Villa.

Posted on April 29th, 2010 by Anfield Road

By Tom Wilson

purslow-apr10-a.jpg

“At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques”

Having failed in his mandate to deliver investment to Liverpool Football Club, a nonfulfillment that resulted in him having his remit reduced and lead to the appointment of Martin Broughton and Barclays Capital, it appears that Christian Purslow is filling the gaps in his increasingly sparse schedule by meddling in areas that don’t concern him.

Despite being a lifelong supporter and long time season ticket holder, the Liverpool managing director has, on occasion, paid scant regard to Shankly’s famous “Holy Trinity” mantra.

To all intents and purposes, it appears that the Liverpool MD, when not desperately seeking the approval of certain senior members of the first team squad, is trying to desperately compensate for his demotion of sorts by both securing his position, satisfying his ego by painting himself as some kind of “Mr Liverpool” figure, whilst at the same time undermining the manager at every turn in a childish, narcissistic fit of pique.

Not happy with just having an unhealthy influence over big hitter and Daily Telegraph football correspondent Henry Winter, Christian is reputedly bending the collective ears of anyone with an outlet who’ll listen to his propaganda.

Propaganda which resulted in
by Sam Wallace and Mark Fleming in The Independent.

As if the seemingly deliberate timing of the article wasn’t bad enough – on the eve of Liverpool’s biggest game of the season – it also illustrates perfectly the delusions of grandeur of the former middle market equity boss, who it is believed was the source of the story.

vandervaart-apr10.jpg

Anfield Road has learned that whilst the club may very well be targeting
Dutch midfielder Rafael Van Der Vaart, and indeed Real Madrid may have been approached already about the 27 year old, it has been without the knowledge, permission, or say-so of the first team manager or his staff

These revelations initially came to light that last week in Madrid at the Vicente Calderon where Purslow was holding court with the various members of the press pack, boasting of a meeting with Florentino Perez, claiming that he had been offered “Van der Vaart and a striker”.

At that point in time the manager didn’t even know Purslow had been talking transfers with Real Madrid
he certainly hadn’t asked him to, yet Purslow saw no problems at all in broadcasting the news to the press. Benítez, as a result, is believed to feel both undermined and unnerved having inevitably been informed of such developments.

Whilst it may not be absolutely essential to have a “football background” to hold a senior position at a club, to actively interfere over the manager’s head on transfer policy is tantamount to treason and is a stunning dereliction of duty from a man who seems to revel in the status that his title bequeaths him.

“We need to have the owners own and the managers manage.”

- CP, SOS meeting minutes, 2nd February 2010.

Whether such indiscretions are part of a deliberate campaign to unsettle the manager, or merely the acts of a man desperate for the world to know his importance aren’t clear.

Although if it is the former, it would be without the blessing of the club’s owners who are desperate to keep the turbulence surrounding the club to an absolute minimum as they look for someone to stump up the best part of £500,000,000 to take the club out of their hands.

rafa-sammy-apr10-150x150.jpg

If it is the latter, then he at least should know that no man is bigger than the club, no board member is bigger than the manager, and needs to learn the meaning of the word decorum.

Having appointed Broughton, who is yet to meet Benítez, chiefly in an effort to break deadlock at boardroom level in order to sell the club, the last thing that Liverpool and its owners need is a war of attrition between its manager and managing director.

There is little doubt that Christian Purslow is a Liverpool fan and came into the club with the best intentions, in all probability giving up a much better paid job to do so, to land one which every Liverpool fan in the country is convinced they could do.

Therein lies the issue

A fan cannot run a football club, indeed, the evidence of such catastrophes are scattered down the leagues; essentially it’s the ultimate poisoned chalice as logic and reason go out of the window.

It may very well be his perceived raison d’être that has blinded him somewhat, stripped away the cold-eyed professionalism that is required to run a club the size of Liverpool FC.

There is no doubt that in his heart he only wants the best for the club, but if he steps back and takes stock, his head may tell him the best thing for the club would be for him to step down, thus helping achieve the aim in what he set out to do in the first place.

Sound like Newcastle.

Posted on April 29th, 2010 by Anfield Road

By Tom Wilson

purslow-apr10-a.jpg

“At a football club, there’s a holy trinity – the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don’t come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques”

Having failed in his mandate to deliver investment to Liverpool Football Club, a nonfulfillment that resulted in him having his remit reduced and lead to the appointment of Martin Broughton and Barclays Capital, it appears that Christian Purslow is filling the gaps in his increasingly sparse schedule by meddling in areas that don’t concern him.

Despite being a lifelong supporter and long time season ticket holder, the Liverpool managing director has, on occasion, paid scant regard to Shankly’s famous “Holy Trinity” mantra.

To all intents and purposes, it appears that the Liverpool MD, when not desperately seeking the approval of certain senior members of the first team squad, is trying to desperately compensate for his demotion of sorts by both securing his position, satisfying his ego by painting himself as some kind of “Mr Liverpool” figure, whilst at the same time undermining the manager at every turn in a childish, narcissistic fit of pique.

Not happy with just having an unhealthy influence over big hitter and Daily Telegraph football correspondent Henry Winter, Christian is reputedly bending the collective ears of anyone with an outlet who’ll listen to his propaganda.

Propaganda which resulted in
by Sam Wallace and Mark Fleming in The Independent.

As if the seemingly deliberate timing of the article wasn’t bad enough – on the eve of Liverpool’s biggest game of the season – it also illustrates perfectly the delusions of grandeur of the former middle market equity boss, who it is believed was the source of the story.

vandervaart-apr10.jpg

Anfield Road has learned that whilst the club may very well be targeting
Dutch midfielder Rafael Van Der Vaart, and indeed Real Madrid may have been approached already about the 27 year old, it has been without the knowledge, permission, or say-so of the first team manager or his staff

These revelations initially came to light that last week in Madrid at the Vicente Calderon where Purslow was holding court with the various members of the press pack, boasting of a meeting with Florentino Perez, claiming that he had been offered “Van der Vaart and a striker”.

At that point in time the manager didn’t even know Purslow had been talking transfers with Real Madrid
he certainly hadn’t asked him to, yet Purslow saw no problems at all in broadcasting the news to the press. Benítez, as a result, is believed to feel both undermined and unnerved having inevitably been informed of such developments.

Whilst it may not be absolutely essential to have a “football background” to hold a senior position at a club, to actively interfere over the manager’s head on transfer policy is tantamount to treason and is a stunning dereliction of duty from a man who seems to revel in the status that his title bequeaths him.

“We need to have the owners own and the managers manage.”

- CP, SOS meeting minutes, 2nd February 2010.

Whether such indiscretions are part of a deliberate campaign to unsettle the manager, or merely the acts of a man desperate for the world to know his importance aren’t clear.

Although if it is the former, it would be without the blessing of the club’s owners who are desperate to keep the turbulence surrounding the club to an absolute minimum as they look for someone to stump up the best part of £500,000,000 to take the club out of their hands.

rafa-sammy-apr10-150x150.jpg

If it is the latter, then he at least should know that no man is bigger than the club, no board member is bigger than the manager, and needs to learn the meaning of the word decorum.

Having appointed Broughton, who is yet to meet Benítez, chiefly in an effort to break deadlock at boardroom level in order to sell the club, the last thing that Liverpool and its owners need is a war of attrition between its manager and managing director.

There is little doubt that Christian Purslow is a Liverpool fan and came into the club with the best intentions, in all probability giving up a much better paid job to do so, to land one which every Liverpool fan in the country is convinced they could do.

Therein lies the issue

A fan cannot run a football club, indeed, the evidence of such catastrophes are scattered down the leagues; essentially it’s the ultimate poisoned chalice as logic and reason go out of the window.

It may very well be his perceived raison d’être that has blinded him somewhat, stripped away the cold-eyed professionalism that is required to run a club the size of Liverpool FC.

There is no doubt that in his heart he only wants the best for the club, but if he steps back and takes stock, his head may tell him the best thing for the club would be for him to step down, thus helping achieve the aim in what he set out to do in the first place.

Sounds like Newcastle.

Badly timed, not helpful, self-serving and (given what happened to Riera after making controversial comments on the eve of a big game) a fairly obvious case of double standards.

People have to get away from the idea of blaming the media for this kind of stuff though. These are on the record quotes. Not briefed whispers. Not a poor translation. Not agenda driven analysis. Just plain and simple quotes volunteered of his own free will that have been presented as they were said.

As for Rafa's comments here; when Riera said the other week that Rafa hasn't spoken to him, the general consensus was that he should shut the fuck up and get on with his football. I don't see how this is any different, especially considering a 5 year contract was signed not long ago!

Gerrard was ridiculed on here for the second Chelsea episode after not being made to feel wanted enough; again, this is very similar.

He's got a 5 year contract, with a ton of money and we're 7th, yet he wants re-assurances about his job?

Haha

This is where my problem lies with 'you lot', you can't just say you want rafa out and leave it at that, there's always this twisting of facts to try to deride him.

Riera said he gets no feedback from him so feels it must be personal when he's not picked. That is in no way similar to what rafa has said here (has he even said anything of any note whatsoever?) and is quite ridiculous that you have even compared the two.

And reassurances? Where?