You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aquilani

PaulMcC

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without getting carried away, he does look to have something about him. He has been neat and tidy for the most part, nothing special but hopefully he will grow in confidence. Which I was expecting for the price we paid and his range of passing, although not in the same bracket as Alonso is still very good. I think using Alonso as a benchmark is difficult because there are few in the world who can move a ball and dictate the game the way that lad does. Obviously there were some mistakes from Aquilani but the truth is that he hasn't played a lot of football in recent seasons, I hope the lad goes on to shine for us.

And I don't want to be accused of being somebody with blind faith, but looking at the table now, Spurs and Villa have been playing above themselves and we aren't that far off them now. Considering this is the worst we have played and the worst set of results in years. I honestly believe things will get better this season, they surely cannot get any worse. We have players reaching full fitness, some kind of cohesion in the back line and hopefully some of the deadwood will be shipped out this January.

Crazy statement from you Ian.

How come you don't rate him, seeing as we have only seen very little from

him soo far. I was happy with him when he got the ball, he went missing

but I am hoping that is just him getting used to the premiership.

Too early to write him of yet.

For me, it looked like the squad was getting used to having someone who can move around the ball around from the midfield again.

It was interesting to see the defenders play short passes to him, instead of trying to knock the ball over masch/lucas or just putting it out wide to the fullbacks.

That's a good point - Agger and particularly Carra will benefit from having a more ball playing midfielder in front of them who can distribute it for them.

It will also hopefully instill some confidence in those playes around him.

There are signs there that he could be a very very good player for us. The main issue is whether he can stay fit or not.

Guest davelfc

One full game! One full fucking game.

We might not see the best from him until next season, we certainly won't see much from him until he has some match fitness and the team has regained some confidence.

I think our midfield looked a lot better today with Lucas and Bert. Lucas was the mopper-upper like Mascherano usually does and Bert sat further up playing passes to Gerrard etc.

Why, thank you!

Myself and Gerrard are very much on the same wavelength

Aquaman just doesnt seem a Rafa player to me, a bit of a luxury player which is great when your on top and trying to break down defensive teams.

Just dont know why Rafa bought him, he just doesnt seem his type of player.

I think he will be a very good player but time will tell if he will be regular or a Homer

thats exactly what i was thinking, i can't see how rafa will trust a player like that to play centre mid, he barely trusts gerrard there

How come you don't rate him, seeing as we have only seen very little from

him soo far. I was happy with him when he got the ball, he went missing

but I am hoping that is just him getting used to the premiership.

Too early to write him of yet.

Because he's Italian and Rafa brought him here. The bolly-eyed, shite Mussiloni impersonating, eye-tie cunt.

Yeah. But I hate spreading rumours, in fact ignore me, and if it doesn't happen, come back and neg this post.

I know you are just passing on rumour, but that sounds like some seriously malicious mongering with the intention of causing even more shite. And I’ll bet it’s a red that’s started it also and not some blue.

I know you are just passing on rumour, but that sounds like some seriously malicious mongering with the intention of causing even more shite. And I’ll bet it’s a red that’s started it also and not some blue.

Rumors schmumors, we're talking about integrity here. There should be no place for preemptive, delayed negging requests.

If Inter offered us our money back on him, and that money was guaranteed available to sign players (fat chance I know), would you take it?

£20million buys a decent centre forward

For me, it looked like the squad was getting used to having someone who can move around the ball around from the midfield again.

It was interesting to see the defenders play short passes to him, instead of trying to knock the ball over masch/lucas or just putting it out wide to the fullbacks.

Good post Lance, I noticed that he helps to bridge the gap between defence and the midfield a lot better than Lucas and Mascherano. He seems to want the ball more as well and he seems to be able to create time and space for himself. Too often the ball ends up with Lucas, and then back with the defenders in no time

If Inter offered us our money back on him, and that money was guaranteed available to sign players (fat chance I know), would you take it?

£20million buys a decent centre forward

No. We need a quality ball playing creative midfielder and we have bought that in Aquilani. No use buying another centre forward if we can't create enough to get the ball to him.

What centre forward would 20m buy?

I think Gerrard is at his best close to the opposition's box so i'd keep him there.

I'm sure their are a few players out there that would score more goals than Lucas does from centre midfield.

Higuain, Forlan, Huntelaar, Jovetic and I'm sure people on here would know many more than me.

Gerrard back in to centre midfield still gets you 10 goals a season an you could bring in a forward that gets you 15 - 20 goals on top of that.

I agree Gerrard in the past has been phenomenal as a second forward but he looks out of sorts an when you rely on a player like him so much and he isn't doing the business you need options.

If you look at our first choice team, Johnson, Agger, Carragher, Aurelio, Mascherano, Lucas/Aquilani, Benayoun, Kuyt. You get 20 goals a season from that lot maximum. That leaves Gerrard and Torres needing to pick up 50 - 60 goals between them

I think we need more goals in the team an not being a tactical genius I think the easiest way to do that is play another centre forward

All that bollocks about controlling games with two defensive midfielders is a myth. We haven't controlled anything through Lucas and Mascherano

I'm sure their are a few players out there that would score more goals than Lucas does from centre midfield.

Higuain, Forlan, Huntelaar, Jovetic and I'm sure people on here would know many more than me.

Gerrard back in to centre midfield still gets you 10 goals a season an you could bring in a forward that gets you 15 - 20 goals on top of that.

I agree Gerrard in the past has been phenomenal as a second forward but he looks out of sorts an when you rely on a player like him so much and he isn't doing the business you need options.

If you look at our first choice team, Johnson, Agger, Carragher, Aurelio, Mascherano, Lucas/Aquilani, Benayoun, Kuyt. You get 20 goals a season from that lot maximum. That leaves Gerrard and Torres needing to pick up 50 - 60 goals between them

I think we need more goals in the team an not being a tactical genius I think the easiest way to do that is play another centre forward

All that bollocks about controlling games with two defensive midfielders is a myth. We haven't controlled anything through Lucas and Mascherano

Out of that lot i think only Higuain would be worth 20m. Forlan would be too if he was younger.

We've already got over 10 goals from Kuyt, Yossi and Johnson so we should get easily over 20 goals from that lot.

I think Aquilani will get us more goals then Lucas and Mascherano, and Alonso did, if he's fit (big ask, i know).

Out of that lot i think only Higuain would be worth 20m. Forlan would be too if he was younger.

We've already got over 10 goals from Kuyt, Yossi and Johnson so we should get easily over 20 goals from that lot.

I think Aquilani will get us more goals then Lucas and Mascherano, and Alonso did, if he's fit (big ask, i know).

"that lot" got closer to 40 goals than they did 20 goals last season.