You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Houllier's First Shit Season

Red Nick

He went from 80 points to 64 points some 17 points behind the champions after comming within 7 and had a chance on the last day to go to 67 and claim the CL place off chelsea who then might not have been bought by Abramovic.

Rafa will probably take us back further than 10 points difference this season, however that doesnt tell the full story.

LFC were in freefall and it was clear a lot of the players no longer wanted to play for the manager. However David Moores & Parry (one of the few things they ever did right) made it clear to the players that Houllier would be the manager the following season no matter what but if the players continued playing the way they were they might not be and surprise surprise our form improved. The downside of this is exactly the same happened the following season and we ended up on less points but because Newcastle had an even shitier year than us we got 4th and CL history was made under Rafa in 2005.

This brings me on to the state we are currently in without a joint statement from HIcks and Gillett the players are going to continue to take the piss out of the manager and because the club is in dissarray I see no way for Rafa to ever get this back on course. You will never get the unifying statement in support of the manager because Gillett wants Rafa sacked and Hicks wants to keep Rafa. Also Hicks will never agree to the appointment of Klinnsman because it is a Gillett choice so actually getting them to agree to sack Rafa and agree on a new manager is fucking impossible

To sumarise this post best

WERE FUCKED

Comerade abramovich would have bought the chavs whether they'd qualified for the CL or not. They were effectively bankrupt.

Our team should be getting better results than we are. Personnel wise, there is very little difference between this team and the one that finished the last quarter of the previous season so imperviously.

You are worse than Rashid these days Red Nick.

So then, what do you think about the situation anyway. Should we sack Rafa or should he be allowed to stay and fix this?

Stop being a padantic so and so, everyone knows my views.

I actually think it is a very valid point about the lack of direction from the top of the club that we are now lacking which wasnt the case when Houllier had his first shit season.

I think it is important to point out why we recovered that season and why it is very unlikely we will recover this season

Stop being a padantic so and so, everyone knows my views.

I actually think it is a very valid point about the lack of direction from the top of the club that we are now lacking which wasnt the case when Houllier had his first shit season.

I think it is important to point out why we recovered that season and why it is very unlikely we will recover this season

I probably deserved your neg, I was being sarcastic (but not pedantic I think) on your behalf so I'll take that one on the chin. I got some result though, I'm especially pleased with the highlighted one. It's a bit like giving Obama the Nobel Peace prize, he will always look at it when he goes to war again.

Comerade abramovich would have bought the chavs whether they'd qualified for the CL or not. They were effectively bankrupt.

Our team should be getting better results than we are. Personnel wise, there is very little difference between this team and the one that finished the last quarter of the previous season so imperviously.

Abromovich was on his way to buy Spurs, but he saw Stamford Bridge from his helicopter first and decided he wanted them, so I think you're right that CL qualification had little to do with his choice haha

He went from 80 points to 64 points some 17 points behind the champions after comming within 7 and had a chance on the last day to go to 67 and claim the CL place off chelsea who then might not have been bought by Abramovic.

Rafa will probably take us back further than 10 points difference this season, however that doesnt tell the full story.

LFC were in freefall and it was clear a lot of the players no longer wanted to play for the manager. However David Moores & Parry (one of the few things they ever did right) made it clear to the players that Houllier would be the manager the following season no matter what but if the players continued playing the way they were they might not be and surprise surprise our form improved.

This is one of the few things I disagree with you on. Moores and Parry were wrong in keeping Houllier for two shite seasons. They should have removed him when we ended up 5th but decided to keep him and the result was another shite season of hoof-and-hope and yet another missed opportunity.

I can't help but think that the same is going to happen with Benitez.

This is one of the few things I disagree with you on. Moores and Parry were wrong in keeping Houllier for two shite seasons. They should have removed him when we ended up 5th but decided to keep him and the result was another shite season of hoof-and-hope and yet another missed opportunity.

I can't help but think that the same is going to happen with Benitez.

The point being is the club just cant let things drift its a recipe for mutiny on the bounty.

You might not agree with what they did but at lest the club took some sort of action, were totally rudderless at the moment no direction, no decisions and no future.

if the yanks had any sort of fucking clue between them Rafa would be gone by now

4 wins from 17 is not good enough for a team who supposedly have 'title aspirations' and such a string of results would definitely fail to meet any 'agreed targets'

the best thing that Rafa did for himself last season was to secure his new deal - it effectively means he can't be sacked and that he will only leave on his terms:

he really does have complete control

maybe he thinks he can out-wit (out-wait even?) the yanks - but then again the yanks show no signs that they are in any hurry to move on

next year will deffo be a pivotal year for us as we could see the club fail to qualify for any kind of European competeition, and either Rafa or the yanks or both be forced to leave in the summer because of it - or even worse we might even end up going into administration because of it!