You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stan Collymore: Why Steven Gerrard must quit Liverpool FC

dennis tooth

Not only has he attempted to wind up Liverpool fans with his spurious opining, but the little dig at Man United players (Fletcher and Carrick not fit enough to tie Gerrard's boots) was subtle. How has this man managed to maintain steady employ? Who is his audience? Dogging enthusiasts, perhaps?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not only has he attempted to wind up Liverpool fans with his spurious opining, but the little dig at Man United players (Fletcher and Carrick not fit enough to tie Gerrard's boots) was subtle. How has this man managed to maintain steady employ? Who is his audience? Dogging enthusiasts, perhaps?

That's a good point, the man has no redeeming features in the role at all. He's not knowledgeable, experienced at success, funny or insightful in the slightest.

Don't half feel sorry for Steven. It's just not going to happen for him. We need to get rid of this manager and give him a chance of lifting that league trophy.

I know it must be terrible for him. Paid a pittance to play for his boyhood team, never won any medals & hated by his own fans. Poor, poor Steven Gerrard.:wow:

If you take away that Collymore said these things, then the article isn't too far from reality. The man may be a cunt, but what has been said should be noted and respected. It is time all Liverpool fans started living in the real world and faced up to the fact that we are not that good these days, and our football is dire to watch. We have shite owners, a manager that encourages negative play, and players that are being picked that should not be anyway near the club.

Matthew Le Tissier is a legend who played some fantastic football for Southampton without ever having a shot at the title.....

But he is still a legend for what he did on the pitch, and I would say he has a higher standing in my eyes for staying at Southampton, rather than going to one of the big clubs in order to win a title.....

Steven has won more than most footballers can dream of, and if he cannot win league, then so be it, he'll still be remebered as a legend for what he has done for Liverpool over the years, but if he were to ask for a transfer to win the title with someone else it would only damage the way he will be remembered by the fans who adore him....

Collymore is a joke....

Steven Gerrard: I'm desperate to win league title with Liverpool before I retire

Steven Gerrard has revealed the depth of his frustration at Liverpool's botched title bid.

The Liverpool skipper began the season with high hopes that he would finally get his hands on the one trophy he craves most and which has eluded him during his glittering career.

But the Reds' challenge was over almost as soon as it had begun and they are languishing in seventh - 12 points behind leaders Chelsea.

Instead of fighting the Blues and Manchester United for the Premier League, Liverpool are battling Tottenham, Manchester City and Aston Villa for a Champions League place and Gerrard cannot hide his title hurt.

"It's frustrating to be where we are in the league now because this was meant to be the year where we were going to be right up there all the way through," he said.

"It would mean everything to win it. It's frustrating not to have it already and I've come close on a couple of occasions.

"I will continue to fight for the Premier League from now until I stop playing. Hopefully I can add it to my collection because it would round a fantastic career off.

"It would be extra special if I could do it as captain in the next couple of years. I'm not sure how long I'm going to be captain for - probably another two or three years. If not as captain, then hopefully I can still lift it as a Liverpool player.

"Now, though, it's important for us to try to get back up to the top of the table."

Gerrard is 30 in May and he knows the clock is ticking on his title dream.

The midfield ace, who made his 500th appearance for the club at Blackburn, admits he has five seasons left at most and is determined to do all he can to bring the title back to Anfield for the first time since 1990.

"I've been around for 11 years and I'm getting towards the 30 years of age mark now, so I'm running out of time," said the England ace. "I want to make the most of the next four or five years.

"I've still got many more ambitions and dreams that I want to fulfil before I finish."

Gerrard's place in Liverpool's Hall of Fame was assured long ago because of his heroics in Istanbul and Cardiff, but he insists he cannot be called a legend.

He feels that term is bestowed too lightly and classes the likes of Kenny Dalglish and Ian Rush as true greats.

"I don't think I'm a Liverpool legend," he said. "You can only call players legends when they've finished and you look back on their careers and they have been successful or a top player throughout.

"A lot of people give the legendary status out too early for my liking. I don't see myself as a legend - I see the likes of Dalglish, Hansen and Rush as legends.

"They have been there and done it. Hopefully one day I can look back on what I've achieved and can say I'm a part of the legends at this club, but I certainly wouldn't put myself in that bracket now."

Steven Gerrard: I'm desperate to win league title with Liverpool before I retire - MirrorFootball.co.uk

I want to REP Steve Gerrard for that. Fantastic.

Won 6 league title medals, a few FA cups and a European cup at didn't he, basically United's 2nd most decorated player after Giggs, played about 6 games in a United career spanning about over 12 years.

Got another league title medal at Blackburn as well using the same method, before getting his move then went and got some games at at club of his level, Bacup Town.

Met him in belfast airport and had to sit beside him as there were no other seats in the lounge and my mum was very ill and needed the seat.

They were sitting around a table with alot of booze on it, Giggs, May and one of the Neville tits and some other twats (cant remember who). He says "would you like an autograph?", i replied "fuck off!" and most of them started laughing.

Ignore him - He's pissed off that Liverpool never Accomodated HIM when he was here and if you don't believe me then listen to ANY interview he ever does on the radio; I guarandamntee that he will mention that we NEVER used to play HIS favourite formation/method of getting the ball that he used to use at Nottingham Forest and thus we Never saw him at his best because of that; Sod the Fact HE should have changed for us - to much work for the useless b*stard.

Carraislegened - 'Rebuild the team' with Gerrard money you say? Don't make me laugh - ANY money from selling Gerrard (which the owners will NEVER do as him or Torres going WOULD start WWIII) would go straight into paying off their debts.....Just like half the Alonso fee. Oh, and Torres moving WAS different - He'd Outgrown Athletico after being there for what was it? SIX years or so - It was like Rooney outgrowing Everton and moving to a bigger stage - Always going to happen and although trophies were given as the reason; They had little to do with the outcome, Torres would always have left La Calderon in the end. Torres going to Madrid or Barcelona or Valencia to win trophies? Now THAT would be like Gerrard going to Chelsea - Which incidentally will NOT happen.

As to our team - yes, we have some mediocre reserve players but we're a world away from the sad excuse for a side where half the First Team couldn't even hold the ball that Rafa' inherited, our main problem now is our reserves and our First Team damn near won the league last season using our current system - Once Aquilani's fitted into said system - watch us leave the likes of Spurs, City et al in our vapour trails and the media turn their guns on Mark Hughes. Grow a pair and support Rafa' is what most of us need to do - He knows what he's doing but circumstances have currently conspired against him - That will change soon enough and when it does, he'll be ready for it...........................

enjoyed reading that. My glass is definitely still half full too.

Met him in belfast airport and had to sit beside him as there were no other seats in the lounge and my mum was very ill and needed the seat.

They were sitting around a table with alot of booze on it, Giggs, May and one of the Neville tits and some other twats (cant remember who). He says "would you like an autograph?", i replied "fuck off!" and most of them started laughing.

I bet Lee Sharpe got up on the table after his shandy and did his famous 'belly rub' trick. It would have had 'the lads' in stitches.

I think David May's trophy collection is comparable with Cantona's which given the amount of games played makes him a more efficient player by far.

Shame we haven't the money to prise him away from Bacup Town reserves.

Yeah I had the misfortune to be in a car where Talksport was being listened to on Saturday evening and I was shouting at the radio which is not normal for me so incensed was I by the stuff Collymore was coming out with.

I find it worrying that some on here say he is speaking the truth - and while we are at that some on here think he played well for us. It is nothing like the truth and he was a very average performer for us whose attitude stunk regarding training, effort, teamates .. etc.

Basically the man has no concept of what playing for Liverpool means and so maybe it should not surprise us that he says such stuff - lets analyse it - Stevie should leave us and join Man U or Chelsea is what he is saying!!! - maybe if he listened to the reception Owen got at Anfield or Sol gets at White Hart Lane he would realise why that is not such a good idea. Put in a nutshell Stevie has principles - unlike Stan. If he finishes his career at Anfield the man will be regarded among the greatest legends ever to pull on the shirt (alongside the likes of Liddell, Hunt and Dalglish) - who would have every chance of one day becoming our manager should he want it - surely that is even more important than a PL medal.

And who says he will not get one with us - imo he will play 4 or 5 more seasons so I think it is more than possible.

As someone who listens to Talksport pretty much most of every day (not by choice I might add) I wouldn't read too much into what Collymore has said.

The radio station relies heavily upon people phoning in with a reaction. Therefore their aim, from a business point of view, is to get as many people phoning in as possible, and the best way to do that is by giving a hefty percentage of airtime to presenters who incite people by instigating these sensationalist topics which many disagree with, thus causing the listener to phone in and retaliate.

Certain presenters on the channel are radio gold in terms of this, Collymore being one of them, ditto Adrian Durham etc. They are the pantomime villains (the Simon Cowell's), and they are encouraged to be so. After a while, it's pretty clear that its all very much scripted, and they will usually have a much more level headed co-presenter to balance things out.

It is purely entertainment, or at least it is for the many who listen to it.

Whilst I wouldn't go as far as saying Collymore doesn't mean a word of what he said, I wouldn't say it has come entirely 100% from his own heart and I take a lot of it with a pinch of salt.

He's only doing his job.

Here's why Collymore is so wrong, it's an article originally posted by a Milan fan on RAWK five years ago, when Gerrard was flirting with the idea of going to Chelsea. Gerrard made the right decision in the end, and I can only hope he gets a payoff for it in terms of winning a few more honours in the future and making Collymore eat his words:

Steven Gerrard: Franco Baresi or Fulvio Collovati?

Posted by JessRed76 on February 1, 2005, 11:46:48 AM

As a lifetime AC Milan fan, with a Liverpool supporting girlfriend, I would like to give you my view on Steven Gerrard and his future at Liverpool.

Steven Gerrard: 24 years old, Liverpool captain, from Merseyside, a homegrown talent. Now, I believe most of you reading have played football when kids (some of you are probably still playing now, like me, in those cold Sunday mornings, in some local amateur league, sorting out the nets, the money for the ref, bringing home muddy boots for the missus' delight...).

We all started in the same fashion and so did Mr Gerrard: in the streets and in the school playgrounds, with jumpers for goalposts, spending hours arguing wether the ball was or wasn't gone over a bar that wasn't there to begin with. Preferring a game of football with your mates to anything else that there was in life. And if we weren't playing football... we would be watching it.

Whether you were a striker or a defender, whether you were good or bad, whether you were you or you were Steven Gerrard the dream was one for all of us:

TO WEAR THE LIVERPOOL SHIRT AND THE CAPTAIN'S ARMBAND AT ANFIELD IN FRONT OF THE KOP

You can change that to AC Milan and the San Siro if for me. I am sure every single one of you had that dream of putting on the Red shirt and the armband. Some of you probably still do! Well, so did Steven Gerrard.

This is why as a neutral I can not understand nor tolerate the fact that the guy is even thinking of a career outside Liverpool! Can you?

Being captain of your own team at the age of 24, playing Champions League football ... is that not enough?

If Gerrard was to stay he almost certainly will be Liverpool captain for another 10 years. He will almost certainly win trophies in the next 10 years. He will be Liverpool greatest player during his nearly 20 years with the club's first team. He will be a legend. He will probably be remembered as the best Liverpool player ever. He will be what Franco Baresi has been to Milan.

Does anyone know what Baresi did in the early eighties? Here's what has happened: At 14 Baresi joins Milan after Inter (where is older brother was playing) rejected him, how foolish of them! He makes his debut very young and in 1979 wins the title with Milan. A couple of years later Milan gets relegated from Serie A to Serie B. The club is in a mess having being involved in match fixing and the club's owner ran away. The club was in total crisis, seeing the light at the end of the tunnel was impossible.

A few weeks later city's rival Inter make an offer for Baresi and Baresi's partner in the middle of the defence Collovati. Straight away Collovati joins Inter. A then very young Baresi (21-22) is made captain of a falling giant. He's regarded by most as the best young talent of his generation and the 1982 World Cup is around the corner. Staying with Milan playing in Serie B would probably jeopardise his chances of going to the World Cup. Joining Inter would mean playing alongside his brother and enjoying the race for title every season at a club flushed with money. Collovati had no doubt in his mind that the right choice was to join Inter. But what did Baresi do? The similarity with the Steven Gerrard's situation was so big I had to write this article.

Liverpool are nowhere near as bad as AC Milan was in the early eighties.

What should Steven Gerrard do? What did Franco Baresi do?

I am sure most of you know what Baresi did but I'll tell you anyway: HE STAYED AT MILAN! He played for them in Serie B. He was so good he was picked for the World Cup squad anyway. Milan won the Serie B league and came straight up only to go down again one season later. More offers came in for Baresi. Did he regret his original choice? Did he join Inter, Juve? Did he? Of course he didn't. He played for Milan in Serie B again. That's what I call a man!

In the following years with Milan he won promotion and then went on to win the European Cup three times (now better known as Champions League), he won the Intercontinental Cup twice, the European Super Cup 3 times, the Italian League 5 times (to add to the win in 1979), and played a total of 5 European Cup Finals. He became for every Milan fan 'Il Capitano' (The Captain, capital T and capital C).

When he retired from football in 1997 the club not only organised a match for him in the San Siro where 85,000 paying supporters saw him and the Milan players play the likes of Maradona, Romario, Careca, Koeman, Mattheus but also the jersey with the number 6, the number he worn for so many years, was retired as well. No more Milan players will ever wear the number 6 (this week has been announced that the same will happen with Paolo Maldini's number 3 when he retires).

Thinking forward should Gerrard commit himself to Liverpool for life? I can not see why he shouldn't be able to experience the same glory and all time legendary status. It all goes back to that one dream we had when we were playing in the streets. The day that dream ends football will end with it. I wish Steven Gerrard will realize this.

By the way: how many of you knew who Collovati was? To Milan fans he's a traitor, that's all, who left the club in their hour of need. I have to wash my mouth every time I say his name. Baresi in contrast is an immortal.

© JR76 2005