You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watching Hull v Spurs.

Juan Galonso

Ok, I must have been at a different game then. Ah, now I remember, they put all ten men behind the ball, scored from their only two shots of the match and we were really, really, really unlucky because other than those two blips, we "controlled the game"" from first minute to last and were really, really unlucky not to get the win 90 minutes of enterprising free-flowing football deserved.

Glad you remembered. Well done.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I know Rafa's definition of the term, that's why I said I disagreed with it. As I said, a lot of teams could justifiably say they came to Anfield and "controlled the game" because they executed a gameplan and exhausted us of ideas in the final third despite us having more possession. Having a lot of possession means fuck all unless you know what to do with it and at times, we really do look clueless in knowing what to do with it in the final third.

As I said, it's a bollocks term because having a lot of possession without any creative output is hardly a sign of "controlling the game."

So you're disagreeing with Rafa's use of the English language?

Okay. Sweet.

Just so I'm clear though, its not why you want him sacked right?

So you're disagreeing with Rafa's use of the English language?

Okay. Sweet.

Just so I'm clear though, its not why you want him sacked right?

Stop chatting shit, mate. I enjoy constructive debates, but you've made yourself out to be a bit of tit with that bit in bold. I'm not having a dig at Rafa's use of the English language- making out I'm some sort of xenophobe in some veiled, shithouse manner.

People often have different definitions of particular words and phrases, even people who speak the same native tongue. I'm not allowed to question his definition of one particular phrase? I'm just saying I hate the term "controlling the game" because we often do anything but because while we have a lot of possession, we often look void of ideas in the final third. I don't call that "controlling the game."

Stop chatting shit, mate. I enjoy constructive debates, but you've made yourself out to be a bit of tit with that bit in bold. I'm not having a dig at Rafa's use of the English language- making out I'm some sort of xenophobe in some veiled, shithouse manner.

People often have different definitions of particular words and phrases, even people who speak the same native tongue. I'm not allowed to question his definition of one particular phrase? I'm just saying I hate the term "controlling the game" because we often do anything but because while we have a lot of possession, we often look void of ideas in the final third. I don't call that "controlling the game."

So do you think "controlling the game" means having possession of the football?

Actually, What I thought I was blatantly saying, (I rarely veil anything as you may be able to see) is that some fans will moan about anything. Even the way a Manager speaks, talks, uses the english language.

What does it matter what phrase he uses for describing how we played? You know what he means and you know the way he sets his team out to play. I've tried to be subtle, but Who frankly gives a frogs fuck about your opinion on the phrase "controlling the game" and what it should mean?

So do you think "controlling the game" means having possession of the football?

Obviously it does mean having possession but what you do with it is probably more important and as I said, I don't think we use the ball well enough in the final third to claim we "control games."

We only ever hear the "controlled the game" nonsense when we've failed to win.

It's as bad as Houllier's shots on goal stuff.

Short fucking memory?

Reflecting on their victory over Portsmouth, Benitez told the club's website: "It was very funny watching the replay of the game and hearing the commentators and 'experts'.

"We played well and had plenty of possession, but it sounded as though we were playing badly according to the commentators. We controlled the game but you have to score. In the end we scored three goals, which is not bad with 'seven defensive players'. We showed once again this side has character and determination. Maybe someone should go to school and learn more about football.

"I can assure you that normally I don't hear things like this because I have the volume down - I try to enjoy the football without the comments. But I saw a replay of this game and, because it was a funny situation, I wanted to hear what was said. I can guarantee you someone has to go to a coaches school and try to learn a little bit."

Obviously it does mean having possession but what you do with it is probably more important and as I said, I don't think we use the ball well enough in the final third to claim we "control games."

On Sunday the players our two CM made the most passes to were defenders, thats sums it up.

Actually, What I thought I was blatantly saying, (I rarely veil anything as you may be able to see) is that some fans will moan about anything. Even the way a Manager speaks, talks, uses the english language.

What does it matter what phrase he uses for describing how we played? You know what he means and you know the way he sets his team out to play. I've tried to be subtle, but Who frankly gives a frogs fuck about your opinion on the phrase "controlling the game" and what it should mean?

Yes, I know what he means and how he sets out to play. As I said, we obviously disagree on what the term means, because for me, the last time couple of times we genuinely "controlled games" was against Newcastle, the first half against Preston and probably the last ten minutes, when our possession was backed up with inventive attacking play in the final third.

Cheers anyway, for the debate and constructively arguing against the points I've made, just as I've done for you.

I certainly don't give a frog's fuck about your opinion either, seeing as you won't constructively engage in a debate without resorting to slander and shithouse comments, because you certainly wouldn't talk to me in public like that if I was speaking to you so don't do it behind the comfort of your keyboard.

This is an argument for another day but it means more than just ball possession though.

On your final point, there's not much room for disagreement. I think Benitez intended for us to be playing an entirely different kind of football this year hence targeting wing backs and a very mobile CM. For one reason or another that hasn't worked and as you say we are limited in the final 3rd. With nothing coming from CM we're reliant on a couple of wide players who can't penetrate effectively.

To me this last transfer window has been about as disappointing as the Houiller one.

Yes, I know what he means and how he sets out to play. As I said, we obviously disagree on what the term means, because for me, the last time couple of times we genuinely "controlled games" was against Newcastle, the first half against Preston and probably the last ten minutes, when our possession was backed up with inventive attacking play in the final third.

Cheers anyway, for the debate and constructively arguing against the points I've made, just as I've done for you.

I certainly don't give a frog's fuck about your opinion either, seeing as you won't constructively engage in a debate without resorting to slander and shithouse comments, because you certainly wouldn't talk to me in public like that if I was speaking to you so don't do it behind the comfort of your keyboard.

Heres looking at you, kid.

On Sunday the players our two CM made the most passes to were defenders, thats sums it up.

So is passing the ball to a full back to start an attack on the flank a bad thing?

Did Lucas pass more to defenders or other players?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/4742298/Liverpool-title-chances-scuppered-at-Anfield.html

Even Everton get more out oftheir players than we do. I watched them v Villa recently and they were superb as much as it pains me to say it. They look a really good side who like Hull play a direct style of football and get the ball in the wide areas early and get loads of crosses in the box. Take Torres and Gerrard out of our atarting 11 and there is not much difference between us and the blues imo we are better in the central midfield area and the goalkeepers and maybe right back but the rest is a close one.

So is passing the ball to a full back to start an attack on the flank a bad thing?

Did Lucas pass more to defenders or other players?

Liverpool title chances scuppered at Anfield - Telegraph

I`m not talking about Lucas only, I`m talking about our CM pairing in general.

Lucas passes to- top 5:

9 - Carra

7 - Arbeloa

6 - Mascherano

6 - Benayoun

5 - Kuyt

3 - Torres

Mascherano passes to- top 5:

15 - Carra

8 - Skrtel

7 - Kuyt

5 - Dossena

5 - Lucas

3 - Torres

I`m not talking about Lucas only, I`m talking about our CM pairing in general.

Lucas passes to- top 5:

9 - Carra

7 - Arbeloa

6 - Mascherano

6 - Benayoun

5 - Kuyt

3 - Torres

Mascherano passes to- top 5:

15 - Carra

8 - Skrtel

7 - Kuyt

5 - Dossena

5 - Lucas

3 - Torres

Now do Alonso, in say, the chelsea game or something.

Also, Do Lucas in the Newcastle game.