You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Barnesy was spot on on his Liam Neeson stuff. 

Chris Leslie was wet and woeful. If he's a strong reflection of what the IG stand for, they're fucked. Granted, they're only just getting going but it all seems a bit "hey guys, we're not going to tell you who we are or what we stand for (or who finances us), we'll just tell you why the others are shit and we're not them." 

It was good to see (a few gobshites and a blatant Tory plant aside) that the audience seemed to think that by-elections re: the splitters are the right thing to do and that there wasn't that much shout, gammony bollocks in response to the Begum question. 

Guy who asked JB the Neeson question had Bluenose written all over him.

2 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

What did he say? 

He said that he classes antisemitism as different to racism as he's always believed Jews to not be a race. He also said (and I think this is probably the real reason why he's getting grief) that there's a difference between antisemitism and anti-zionism. 

On the first point, he's possibly made a misinformed comment. On the second point, no real opportunity to expand on what he meant. 

But, you know, let's not educate or discuss or give the benefit of the doubt. Let's all point and shout "antisemite!"

Is being Jewish a race though? You can convert to Judaism I've only seen one woman convert to being black and she got a lot of shit. Not that I give two shites if people want to define themselves one way or another, life is just too bastard short.

Is the definition of race as muddled as the whole gender identity now. Is every single thing that exists now just one giant can of worms.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Is being Jewish a race though? You can convert to Judaism I've only seen one woman convert to being black and she got a lot of shit. Not that I give two shites if people want to define themselves one way or another, life is just too bastard short.

Is the definition of race as muddled as the whole gender identity now. Is every single thing that exists now just one giant can of worms.

Well race is a false construct that has no biological or genetic proof behind it and only really exists because of racists.

However, race has been used by racists to differentiate “others” and in that case othering has happened often based on skin tone, geographic origin and culture.

Jewish is a “culture”, often inherited, and based on, but not necessarily including, the Jewish religion. And so has been used as a race, historically.

I’d say it seems Barnesy thinks of a race purely on physical characteristics, which is a mistake on his part I think.

Being called an anti-Semite nowadays is the new paedophile, throw it at someone and you're fucked for life.

Maybe the police need to set up a new task force, Operation Olive-tree perhaps with loads of old celebs who've took the piss out of Jews being rounded up and jailed

I didn’t see it last night but will probably get it on catch up just because Barnes is on.  I’m sure he will get dogs abuse for bringing up that he doesn’t believe being Jewish is a race but it will only be mainly from Zionists.  I reckon if you put that opinion to the majority of the country they would agree with him.  Whether they’d be right or wrong I suppose is up for debate.  Personally I agree with him.  I think it gets described as a race because to shout racist at someone is a lot more simple and has more impact than saying anti-semite.

Israel and Israel supporters seem to have this whole shit on lockdown.  They’ve got clubs set up in both major party’s here and there is loads of suspect funding going on all over the place but if you mention any of this then you just get called an antisemtic conspiracy theorist.  Unfortunately for them though the problem they’re going to find come election time is that the majority of the country just don’t give a shite.  No matter how many articles are written or how many paid politicians talk about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

I didn’t see it last night but will probably get it on catch up just because Barnes is on.  I’m sure he will get dogs abuse for bringing up that he doesn’t believe being Jewish is a race but it will only be mainly from Zionists.  I reckon if you put that opinion to the majority of the country they would agree with him.  Whether they’d be right or wrong I suppose is up for debate.  Personally I agree with him.  I think it gets described as a race because to shout racist at someone is a lot more simple and has more impact than saying anti-semite.

Israel and Israel supporters seem to have this whole shit on lockdown.  They’ve got clubs set up in both major party’s here and there is loads of suspect funding going on all over the place but if you mention any of this then you just get called an antisemtic conspiracy theorist.  Unfortunately for them though the problem they’re going to find come election time is that the majority of the country just don’t give a shite.  No matter how many articles are written or how many paid politicians talk about it.

I'd go further than "no matter" and say "especially because of".

People can see through this shit.

• Upvote 1

Barnes is right though. Semites include Arabs and several other cultures but antisemitic is so widely used as meaning antijewish that the true meaning has been lost.

Zionism is a branch of Judaism. My RK teacher was always mimicked for his pronunciation of "the fanatical Jews"

Personally I am no more anti Jewish than I am anti all religions. I don't consider myself to be an atheist so much as an anti theist. I am however strongly against the State of Israel and its  stance under the corrupt war criminal Netanyahu.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Evelyn Tentions said:

Barnes is right though. Semites include Arabs and several other cultures but antisemitic is so widely used as meaning antijewish that the true meaning has been lost.

No, you are wrong. Antisemitism has never meant anything other than hatred for Jews. The term comes from 19th century Germany, when they needed a toned-down substitute for the earlier term Judenhass ("Jew hatred").

7 hours ago, The Guest said:

Unless of course your are actually Jewish yourself and a critic of Israel, its Government, its Governments policies or the activities of the illegal settlers in which case you are an incontrovertible 'self-hating Jew'. Aye, quite a fair conclusion to say they have any criticism at all on lockdown.