You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That's decidedly unfair to Rico. They're coming from a socially conservative society, so it stands to reason that a significant number of them will hold socially conservative views.

I would argue that that fact is largely immaterial to our obligation to help as many of them as we can, but questioning our ability to accommodate and integrate social conservatives within a socially liberal society is not at all unreasonable.

It's not unfair at all. He said we're taking tens of thousands of "them", the ones who hate gays and women having rights. He went on to quantify it at 20k.

He was making a clear statement that all of them, if not a huge majority hold those views. Including women. And infant children. There was no ambiguity.

It was a dickhead suggestion. So, he deserved to be called a dickhead for making such a ridiculous, untrue and wildly speculative post.

• Upvote 1

It's not unfair at all. He said we're taking tens of thousands of "them", the ones who hate gays and women having rights. He went on to quantify it at 20k.

He was making a clear statement that all of them, if not a huge majority hold those views. Including women. And infant children. There was no ambiguity.

It was a dickhead suggestion. So, he deserved to be called a dickhead for making such a ridiculous, untrue and wildly speculative post.

Have you been gargling with neat stupid again? It's almost like you can't read what I write.

Have you been gargling with neat stupid again? It's almost like you can't read what I write.

"Whilst I don't agree with the xenophobic views of some on here is allowing unchecked access to the uk tens of thousands of people who have abhorrent ideas about homosexuality, women's rights etc the right thing to do?"

Here's what you wrote. Tens of thousands of people. You've accused them all of having such views. Not that they may have these views. Or who come from a society where such views are prevalent.

"Who have"

Your words are clear. I think it's you who can't read what you wrote.

Have you been swigging that new Cherry Thick Cunt Cola?

"unchecked access to the uk tens of thousands of people who have abhorrent ideas about homosexuality, women's rights etc the right thing to do?"

I think he can read perfectly well, mate. Syria was a pretty advanced country (by middle eastern standards) before the war, so I really don't get the point of worrying about them coming over ere and subjugating our women and gays. Especially considering a lot of them will be women, themselves, along with plenty of well educated professionals and plenty of youngsters.

Have you got a break down of the 'tens of thousands' and their religious/social beliefs? I'm not saying many of them don't hold the views you're attributing to them, but are they really a threat to you or your way of life? Or are they just fleeing a problem we helped create and want to live in a place where they have a chance of making a life?

• Upvote 1

"Whilst I don't agree with the xenophobic views of some on here is allowing unchecked access to the uk tens of thousands of people who have abhorrent ideas about homosexuality, women's rights etc the right thing to do?"

Here's what you wrote. Tens of thousands of people. You've accused them all of having such views. Not that they may have these views. Or who come from a society where such views are prevalent.

"Who have"

Your words are clear. I think it's you who can't read what you wrote.

Have you been swigging that new Cherry Thick Cunt Cola?

So I asked a question you moron? I think I asked it twice in the FULL post.

Moof asked where I got the number from and I told him we'd already agreed 20k - (although lots of people are suggesting a lot more). Now, I didn't say they all had those views, but I'd say there's a decent chance that over 90% of the people do - you know because they are taught that way from when they are babies. I could post the Pew data again but you'll probably moan. Although I think Comrade Hades 80% refugee figure may be Pew too - could be wrong there though.

Edit It was UN not Pew

"unchecked access to the uk tens of thousands of people who have abhorrent ideas about homosexuality, women's rights etc the right thing to do?"

I think he can read perfectly well, mate. Syria was a pretty advanced country (by middle eastern standards) before the war, so I really don't get the point of worrying about them coming over ere and subjugating our women and gays. Especially considering a lot of them will be women, themselves, along with plenty of well educated professionals and plenty of youngsters.

Have you got a break down of the 'tens of thousands' and their religious/social beliefs? I'm not saying many of them don't hold the views you're attributing to them, but are they really a threat to you or your way of life? Or are they just fleeing a problem we helped create and want to live in a place where they have a chance of making a life?

Quote mining. Well done.

There is a wider view on whether accepting a huge number of people with views that completely against the values and norms of our society is a good idea. Whilst I don't agree with the xenophobic views of some on here is allowing unchecked access to the uk tens of thousands of people who have abhorrent ideas about homosexuality, women's rights etc the right thing to do?

You claim this is a serious question, as opposed to rhetoric?

Just more empty speculation. Brilliant.

You did ask a question. I'll give you that. But your question was clearly based on a false or at the very least speculative accusation that the people we'd resettle in the UK would hold these views. Or that the majority would.

Who is taught that way since they're babies? Back it up with evidence. Evidence that Syrian Muslims are taught to disrespect gays and women? Evidence that 90% of the 20k are Muslim? Or are Muslims with these views?

It's utter fucking nonsense. Unsubstantiated bollocks. Nothing more than total guesswork. From one of the snottiest, look at me I'm dead clever and knowledgeable but I actually know fuck all posters on this forum. With absolutely no supporting evidence relating to social attitudes in Syria. Just the old, default Pew fallback.

As I said before, what a dickhead....

Well, more than half of British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal. It stands to reason that among Muslims from Syria, where it actually is illegal, the figure will be higher.

These are desperate people who need assistance, but let us not pretend there are no issues integrating them into a society with much more progressive views.

Well, more than half of British Muslims think homosexuality should be illegal. It stands to reason that among Muslims from Syria, where it actually is illegal, the figure will be higher.

These are desperate people who need assistance, but let us not pretend there are no issues integrating them into a society with much more progressive views.

Yes, because it necessarily follows that laws enacted by a government are backed by a majority of the people from that country.

Especially in Syria. The Assad family have a proud tradition of listening to and reflecting the general interests and beliefs of the Syrian people.

That's why Bashar peacefully stood down when large swathes of the Syrian population asked him to. He's just such a good listener....

My biggest fear when I was a kid - nuclear war! Scared the shit out of me, didn't sleep for weeks when I learned about it, still haven't watched Threads to this day!

Now I'm 41, not a kid anymore, married, kids, but it still scares me.

But reading the contents of this thread, other threads on the forum, and reading and watching the news every day, I'm hoping the next thing I see is a big fuck off mushroom cloud!

What an abhorrent species, we're awful! Like the dinosaurs we've had our time, let's put an end to this failed experiment and let nature try and create something better out of the ruins!

I'm not sure how progressive we are when we can't even pardon being gay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37707030

Do you have the figures on what percent of Jewish and Christian folk support making being gay illegal?

Id wager it's about the same.

What about people over 50? How many?

I can't be bothered to look for and compile the figures, but I'm pretty certain that if you add up all the refugees from countries with regressive views on homosexuality, women's rights and liberal values - including conservative Christian societies in Africa as well as Muslim countries - who have been given sanctuary in the UK over the last 40 years, the numbers will dwarf those currently under discussion, both in terms of overall volume and rate of arrival. This hasn't resulted in any significant problems with social cohesion, so to suggest that this latest tranche is any more likely to do so is mischief making plain and simple.

I can't be bothered to look for and compile the figures, but I'm pretty certain that if you add up all the refugees from countries with regressive views on homosexuality, women's rights and liberal values - including conservative Christian societies in Africa as well as Muslim countries - who have been given sanctuary in the UK over the last 40 years, the numbers will dwarf those currently under discussion, both in terms of overall volume and rate of arrival. This hasn't resulted in any significant problems with social cohesion, so to suggest that this latest tranche is any more likely to do so is mischief making plain and simple.

So you're just making it up then? Thanks.

And there's no problems in Bradford, Rotherham? Interesting views.

Yes, because it necessarily follows that laws enacted by a government are backed by a majority of the people from that country.

Especially in Syria. The Assad family have a proud tradition of listening to and reflecting the general interests and beliefs of the Syrian people.

That's why Bashar peacefully stood down when large swathes of the Syrian population asked him to. He's just such a good listener....

Jesus. What fucking gibberish.

I made a post a while back about why you shouldn't engage the left in debate. They obfuscate the issue, twist what you say and shout over you rather than let you speak.

This gibberish along with plenty of other nonsense posts in this thread prove my point correct.

I am STILL laughing my tits off at your collective outrage at the Brexit vote. I'm laughing my tits off at how you collectively want the EU to fuck the UK up the arse. Fucking losers. Literally. 

Jesus. What fucking gibberish.

I made a post a while back about why you shouldn't engage the left in debate. They obfuscate the issue, twist what you say and shout over you rather than let you speak.

This gibberish along with plenty of other nonsense posts in this thread prove my point correct.

I am STILL laughing my tits off at your collective outrage at the Brexit vote. I'm laughing my tits off at how you collectively want the EU to fuck the UK up the arse. Fucking losers. Literally.

How's it gibberish. It's just like saying that the majority of the UK supported Poll Tax purely on the basis that it was law, on the statute book. They clearly didn't.

And, nobody's really mentioned Brexit in the past few comments. So, get back in your fucking box, you bad fucking quilt.

What a fucking cretin you truly are.

So you're just making it up then? Thanks.

And there's no problems in Bradford, Rotherham? Interesting views.

Not making it up, just aware of the general historical trend of numbers of refugees and asylum seekers coming to the UK and their countries of origin, mostly in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. I'm not aware of any site where they're all together on one page which was why I couldn't be arsed looking myself, I don't have the time or the inclination to trawl through individual pages for each year. If you want to check yourself the Refugee Council and UNHCR are probably the best places to start.

The situations in Bradford, Rotherham etc primarily involve large scale economic migration rather than refugees, which creates a different social dynamic. When you have entire communities from a different country concentrated in one place you're more likely to find the cultural values of that country preserved and entrenched. It doesn't work like that with refugees and asylum seekers, they're dispersed around the country to assist with integration and to avoid putting too much strain on local services and community relations. If you plonked thousands of them from the same country together in one place you might see similar problems, but nobody with any sense is arguing for that.

• Upvote 1

Not making it up, just aware of the general historical trend of numbers of refugees and asylum seekers coming to the UK and their countries of origin, mostly in the Middle East, Africa and South Asia. I'm not aware of any site where they're all together on one page which was why I couldn't be arsed looking myself, I don't have the time or the inclination to trawl through individual pages for each year. If you want to check yourself the Refugee Council and UNHCR are probably the best places to start.

The situations in Bradford, Rotherham etc primarily involve large scale economic migration rather than refugees, which creates a different social dynamic. When you have entire communities from a different country concentrated in one place you're more likely to find the cultural values of that country preserved and entrenched. It doesn't work like that with refugees and asylum seekers, they're dispersed around the country to assist with integration and to avoid putting too much strain on local services and community relations. If you plonked thousands of them from the same country together in one place you might see similar problems, but nobody with any sense is arguing for that.

Noble thoughts, i just don't see it happening.

Pretending the issue doesn't exist or that anyone mentioning it is racist creates space for ukip and the far right.