You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

He went mental at Brand for talking about the fact that the tories have cut all benefits, specifically disability benefits when the government go to fight for bankers to keep their bonuses and then the dickhead has a go at Brand because Farage has never insulted disabled people in public. Thats the absurdity of the whole thing.

He was retarded though, wasn't he?

He went mental at Brand for talking about the fact that the tories have cut all benefits, specifically disability benefits when the government go to fight for bankers to keep their bonuses and then the dickhead has a go at Brand because Farage has never insulted disabled people in public. Thats the absurdity of the whole thing.

If I could give you an uber rep I would.

He just hates the dirty foreigners.

Brand is talking really slow. What's that about? He's not done too well tonight I have to say. Think it's easier when you're talking into a camera with well prepared notes. These debates require ability to memorise sound bites for every possible topic.

Also the questions have been shite tonight.

_40046595_203death.jpg

Brand is talking really slow. What's that about? He's not done too well tonight I have to say. Think it's easier when you're talking into a camera with well prepared notes. These debates require ability to memorise sound bites for every possible topic.

Also the questions have been shite tonight.

Think he struggles to get his points across in a way that doesn't seem like he making it up as he goes along. He seems to be trying to come across as someone who can debate sensibly without ranting like he was in the opening few minutes.

It's regularly open season on Brand. One of the people who is most subjected to attacking the man, rather than his points and opinions.

He's passionate. But can come across ranty at times. I think he's spoke slowly and in a more restrained manner tonight to stop that, and try to get the ignoramuses to focus on his arguments and stance, rather than to attack him.

That Labour woman was insipid.

Fuck it, I'm voting for the Greens in the next election. I've voted for them in every election the past 5-6 years barring the last general when I went for Labour on the proviso of being the least shittest.

The public sector is fucked, the vultures are circling the NHS, the gap between rich and poor is widening at an exponential rate, zero hour contracts are prevalent and being used to duke stats, swathes of people are going hungry and reliant on food banks in a country as rich as ours, and what is Labour's reaction to all of this? "Well, we lost the debate on immigration, we won't repeat those mistakes blah blah blah." It's fucking pathetic stuff. An absolute shitbag, shambles of a party.

I like Miliband. I think he's a decent fella and I get the impression he's at least principled, unlike Cameron and Clegg, but when you've got his party saying they can't/ won't reverse the cuts, it's fucking shameful. They've done nothing to earn my vote this time around.

I get the feeling that most will only vote for them because they're not the Tories. As I said, that was applicable to me in the past and the same goes for my mates currently, but I just can't do it this time. It's that old Chomsky point about the perimeters of debate constantly shrinking so that anything varying slightly is viewed as extreme. It's why they're so fucking limp and I suspect they know it, too. 'What do the Tories say?' 'Right, okay, let's tweak it a touch- half a teaspoon of sugar stirred into their gruel.'

They're just Diet Coke Tory; the better option of getting rammed with a six inch dildo rather than the Purple Aki foot long.

At least I can get behind what the Greens say, even I know there's no chance of them getting in. To be honest, I'd rather my conscience were clean leaving the polling station next May, rather than routinely going for the least shit.

• Upvote 4

It's regularly open season on Brand. One of the people who is most subjected to attacking the man, rather than his points and opinions.

He's passionate. But can come across ranty at times. I think he's spoke slowly and in a more restrained manner tonight to stop that, and try to get the ignoramuses to focus on his arguments and stance, rather than to attack him.

Agreed, I think he did ok. Not easy to do well when you're essentially against everyone else, and the questions are shit. Some of which, like for e.g the first one, wasn't easy to answer in much depth. Are politicians dickheads? Well, yeah.

That Labour woman was insipid.

Fuck it, I'm voting for the Greens in the next election. I've voted for them in every election the past 5-6 years barring the last general when I went for Labour on the proviso of being the least shittest.

The public sector is fucked, the vultures are circling the NHS, the gap between rich and poor is widening at an exponential rate, zero hour contracts are prevalent and being used to duke stats, swathes of people are going hungry and reliant on food banks in a country as rich as ours, and what is Labour's reaction to all of this? "Well, we lost the debate on immigration, we won't repeat those mistakes blah blah blah." It's fucking pathetic stuff. An absolute shitbag, shambles of a party.

I like Miliband. I think he's a decent fella and I get the impression he's at least principled, unlike Cameron and Clegg, but when you've got his party saying they can't/ won't reverse the cuts, it's fucking shameful. They've done nothing to earn my vote this time around.

I get the feeling that most will only vote for them because they're not the Tories. As I said, that was applicable to me in the past and the same goes for my mates currently, but I just can't do it this time. It's that old Chomsky point about the perimeters of debate constantly shrinking so that anything varying slightly is viewed as extreme. It's why they're so fucking limp and I suspect they know it, too. 'What do the Tories say?' 'Right, okay, let's tweak it a touch- half a teaspoon of sugar stirred into their gruel.'

They're just Diet Coke Tory; the better option of getting rammed with a six inch dildo rather than the Purple Aki foot long.

At least I can get behind what the Greens say, even I know there's no chance of them getting in. To be honest, I'd rather my conscience were clean leaving the polling station next May, rather than routinely going for the least shit.

Also by voting Labour you essentially give them a free mandate to move as far to the right as they want. As long as they're always a little bit to the left of the Tories, then many people will feel guilt tripped into voting for them. Well, no, no fucking thanks. If they decide to follow the Tories further to the right, allowing the political "centre" to gradually drift, then fuck voting for them.

For the slight difference they'll make it isn't worth legitimising them.

• Upvote 2

Camilla did make me laugh out loud sitting on a panel with Farage, a man who's cornerstone policy is nationalism / anti immigration and then accusing Brand of Nazi philosophy, truly mental.

In fact the whole show was an embarrassment, 25 minutes of "i'm disengaged with politics because it's just arguments back and forth" arguing about people arguing, really? A teenager saying "i don't like politics" really is that what you think? "yeah" *pulls smug face* very insightful. A disabled man going mental at his sympathiser, a few closet racists saying how they "aren't racist" before going on about immigrants stealing their jobs,then white noise interspersed with the words NHS and Grammar school. Terribly put together show that.

• Upvote 4

Also by voting Labour you essentially give them a free mandate to move as far to the right as they want. As long as they're always a little bit to the left of the Tories, then many people will feel guilt tripped into voting for them. Well, no, no fucking thanks. If they decide to follow the Tories further to the right, allowing the political "centre" to gradually drift, then fuck voting for them.

For the slight difference they'll make it isn't worth legitimising them.

This is an excellent point, one that Russell has been making for a long time.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think I must have fallen to sleep at about 7 or 8 o'clock last night. Totally missed this. I just put it on, 5 minutes in and Farage is winning. The Labour woman, so far, is a vote loser.

The question was 'is the adversarial nature of politics turning people off of voting' or something similar. The answer, with one eye on smacking Farage, should have been, 'no, vigouros debate is necessary for a well-functioning democracy. The adversary that goes on in politics at the moment is just for show, as most parties hold the same position on most major issues, with those issues not even discussed.

What's turning people off of politics is three fold: first, the collusion between the media, business, and politics, and Farage for all his talk about not being a career politician is a privately educated careerist who has slipped from the wealth of big business into European politics.

Secondly, they're only presented with the illusion of choice; no matter who we vote for we will get a party pushing an economy tilted heavily toward the financial sector and based on the same neo liberal economics principles which are responsible for the mess were in now, argued for by people who only debate whether to treat the poorest like dogs or like rats - they should debate more, not less.

The third reason is that most politicians are seen to be out for themselves. That's why people like Farage, who pretends to be just like the common man with his fags and his pint whilst hiding his money and his education and his privilege, are doing relatively well. The issue is, like the rest of the political class, he would go into parliament and screw the common man and woman out of the things that really matter to them: their health service abolished, sold off to match the pre-Obama American system that left people to die with no help and tens of millions with no health care; a flat rate of tax that will screw the poor and hurt the economy; cut public spending to pre-97 levels that lefts our schools and hospitals crumbling, leading to 2m job losses; doubling the budget for the armed forces; and increase the burning of fossil fuels to create power, whilst stopping the showing of climate change videos in schools.'

In short, people don't want to vote because most of you are cunts, meeting after parliament to chink champagne glasses.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Labour bitch. How dare she make that point about men talking over women. Brand was being attacked by a Tory, and had every right to defend himself. Since when did we ascribe more value to somebody's word based on their gender. The value of her word isn't dictated by whether or not she has a vagina it's dictated by the content of her message.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Russell Brand's type of comments led to the rise of fascism? Erm, how about no? Fascism in the post war 20s and 30s was driven by a horrid depression, a failiure of capitalism and by nationalism. I'm pretty sure a celebrity having a go sy self interested politicians didn't come into it.

Russell Brand's type of comments led to the rise of fascism? Erm, how about no? Fascism in the post war 20s and 30s was driven by a horrid depression, a failiure of capitalism and by nationalism. I'm pretty sure a celebrity having a go sy self interested politicians didn't come into it.

I think the point was about how people became so disengaged with politics they voted for Hitler, who was all for capitalism and was open about his intent to get rid of politics