You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The summer of 2008 and the summer of 2002

Royal Family

you also stated in your first post that liverpool are in a false position

how do you work that out, we are were we are on merit if we did win the leage this season i hope people like you dont celebrate number 19 because in my opinion you dont deserve to

i joined the liverpool way after reading post and lurking and finding that this forum was full of pure true fans who didnt just want to moan about our club. im sick of people having a go at the likes or Rafa, Lucas, Kuyt you are all just looking for a scape goat.

people can neg me all you want for what iv said im not assed. a true football fan would not sit behind a computer screen and moan about being in 2nd place and in a VERY good position to still clame the PL.

IMO there has been more negetive-ness threads on this forum this season when we have been top of the leauge than any otherseason.

maybe we have 2 many glory hunters looking for a title to celebrate and not enough true fans looking on the positive side of life at a club like LFC

I'm sorry, mate, but glory-hunters would hardly come flocking to support Liverpool these days! I think it's quite the opposite - those of us getting older are getting increasingly desperate for a title, and many of us are beginning to see this year as a wasted opportunity given the turmoil at Chelsea and Arsenal, and the slow start made by United. It's interesting, as you say, that there is so much negativity this season. It's not scapegoating to say that Rafa (or the board) wasted his summer budget; and anyone who cares deeply about the club will be utterly fed up with the shenanigans of the past 2 years, which - i am afraid to say - Rafa has added to with his petulant outbursts about his contract of late.

A lot of the 'negativity' on here is from older, long-standing fans who don't like what they see about the way the club is being run on and off the pitch.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only person who thought Everton played 442 last night then? From what I saw, Cahill wasn't dropping off, he was pushed right up on Skrtel and played as an out and out striker for most of the game.

Towards the end they pushed Anichebe out to the left and he switched with Pienaar, but at no point did I feel they were playing one up front.

I don't get where all this 'they flooded the midfield' stuff comes from, as it's not how I saw it.

i thought they had anichebe and Cahill both pushed up top. It was just that they played in an old style inside left and right position rather than going right through the middle.

Which will have been a deliberate ploy to stop our full backs from getting forward. It worked too.

I'm sorry, mate, but glory-hunters would hardly come flocking to support Liverpool these days! I think it's quite the opposite - those of us getting older are getting increasingly desperate for a title, and many of us are beginning to see this year as a wasted opportunity given the turmoil at Chelsea and Arsenal, and the slow start made by United. It's interesting, as you say, that there is so much negativity this season. It's not scapegoating to say that Rafa (or the board) wasted his summer budget; and anyone who cares deeply about the club will be utterly fed up with the shenanigans of the past 2 years, which - i am afraid to say - Rafa has added to with his petulant outbursts about his contract of late.

A lot of the 'negativity' on here is from older, long-standing fans who don't like what they see about the way the club is being run on and off the pitch.

ok i take that.

And ti be honest im not saying ur negetive and only you and i understant your situation but when i read this fourm nowadays im get more furstrated that watching liverpool lose

it seem some people on here want liverpool to do badly to prove a point they made earlia in the season or to say 'i told you he was shit' Etc

i come on this forum because i want to hear peoples opinions but latley i have not heard any positives only negetive

Yes i probley am younger then the large majority of fan on this site. But its not just all older folk wanting Liverpool to Win title its in every generation we all get frustrated but as i have prev stated the Negetivety on here is unbearable some time and frustration takes over, Hense the rant

The Mancs didn't make a slow start though: they just got all their difficult games out of the way 1st due to a fixture list quirk which many people have been pointing out on this forum.

We have had far more turmoil than the Chavs or Arse yet you make allowances for them & not us?

which doubled as a way to split the centre backs as well with the idea of playes like osman and pienaar to nip in through between them

it certainly stopped the full backs going forward thats for sure which didn't help us last night. just one of a few things that didnt quite work on the night. subs being a massive one in my mind.

Am I the only person who thought Everton played 442 last night then? From what I saw, Cahill wasn't dropping off, he was pushed right up on Skrtel and played as an out and out striker for most of the game.

Towards the end they pushed Anichebe out to the left and he switched with Pienaar, but at no point did I feel they were playing one up front.

I don't get where all this 'they flooded the midfield' stuff comes from, as it's not how I saw it.

I only watched it on the box but in the first half it looked like we were out-numbered in midfield. Maybe they just worked harder!!

which doubled as a way to split the centre backs as well with the idea of playes like osman and pienaar to nip in through between them

it certainly stopped the full backs going forward thats for sure which didn't help us last night. just one of a few things that didnt quite work on the night. subs being a massive one in my mind.

Taken in isolation, this comment and the thread title could lead to some thinking we're changing the subject:smile:

I think we miss Crouch big time. Although I thought that Crouch and Torres would have been a great partnership had it been given a run of games.

The one main difference between the 02/03 season, is that we still have time to change it, but I think Rafa is too stubborn to do so. I hope for everyone's sake that I'm wrong.

The more I think about Dave's assertion, the more I agree. We've actually regressed squad-wise from last season, but you wouldn't have guessed it beforehand. Keane is just not working, Dossena came with a big reputation but has been awful, Degen constantly injured. Riera blows hot and cold, and I don't see him as a long-term solution on the left. We really fucked up in the summer, and paying the price now.

I can only speak for myself, but I felt thats what they did (flood the middle). I felt we were outnumbered, it drew our wide players inside, which in turn left us with no out balls.

Funny how we can see the same game so differently.

Even before last nights game i prefer the 4-2-3-1 formation.

Ive said before but you could see again last night that Steven Gerrard is no longer a central midfielder but an attacking one.

He was asked to drop back last night and help out but your taking away much of his qualities which is recieving the ball midway into the opponents half and either linking up with the striker or scoring from distance like he did.

By playing 4-2-3-1 Gerrard does not need to worry about the defending side of his game as Alonso and Mascherano can take care of that and personally Gerrard is one of the few world class players we have so you play to their strengths and they are all suited to 4-2-3-1 not 4-4-2.

Gerrard wouldn't have scored that goal last night if he was playing anywhere other than centre midfield. He also wouldn't have won many headers against Jagielka and Lescott when the ball was just pumped forward in a straight line.

His best position is centre midfield for me, although I can't argue that after February last season we looked excellent with him behind Torres.

Like i said though Brownie mate by playing Gerrard in the centre he has to be more disicplined in his attacks as he does not want to leave Alonso isolated in the centre so instantly your taking away Gerrard's biggest strength and that is his surges forward.

Not sure why he wouldn't have scored that goal not playing as an attacking midfielder as he would be expected to be around that area to recieve the ball.

Like i said though Brownie mate by playing Gerrard in the centre he has to be more disicplined in his attacks as he does not want to leave Alonso isolated in the centre so instantly your taking away Gerrard's biggest strength and that is his surges forward.

Not sure why he wouldn't have scored that goal not playing as an attacking midfielder as he would be expected to be around that area to recieve the ball.

He wouldn't have been expected to pick the ball up that deep mate, indeed he's been heavily criticised in the past for sometimes dropping deep when playing off the striker.

Look where Keane was when Gerrard got the ball, and that's roughly where Gerrard would have been in the same situation. How many times against Stoke did Lucas and Mascherano pick up the ball in a similar situation only to slow the game down and pass it five yards and make no forward run?

Gerrard to me should be used in the way the Mancs used Scholes in his pomp as they're similar players.

He wouldn't have been expected to pick the ball up that deep mate, indeed he's been heavily criticised in the past for sometimes dropping deep when playing off the striker.

Look where Keane was when Gerrard got the ball, and that's roughly where Gerrard would have been in the same situation. How many times against Stoke did Lucas and Mascherano pick up the ball in a similar situation only to slow the game down and pass it five yards and make no forward run?

Gerrard to me should be used in the way the Mancs used Scholes in his pomp as they're similar players.

I rate scholes, very highly, but even that totally undervalues Gerrard. i agree with Coop, when free of defensive duties, he's the best attacking mid in the world bar none. Why we continue to shackle him in the centre baffles me. Were crying our for invention and wit, and yet last night we put our wittiest most inventive player slap bang in the middle, being overrun with no time to create.

let Masch and Xabi deal with that, so that when Gerrard gets the ball he can do something with it.

I rate scholes, very highly, but even that totally undervalues Gerrard. i agree with Coop, when free of defensive duties, he's the best attacking mid in the world bar none. Why we continue to shackle him in the centre baffles me. Were crying our for invention and wit, and yet last night we put our wittiest most inventive player slap bang in the middle, being overrun with no time to create.

let Masch and Xabi deal with that, so that when Gerrard gets the ball he can do something with it.

And there's me thinking he picked the ball up in central midfield last night, drove forward and scored a great goal. Must have been watching a different game to yourself.

And there's me thinking he picked the ball up in central midfield last night, drove forward and scored a great goal. Must have been watching a different game to yourself.

He did and thats part of his game, but he's more valuable to us as an attacking force than an allrounder. Thats why he's our most valuable player IMHO.

great thread, Rafa has been atrocious in the transfer market,far worse than GH, The money he has wasted is a disgrace,and im not just talking about big players,look at all these youngsters hes bringing in for 1 or 2m, WE NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN!!!!!

and its totally undermining the academy, also just look at lucas, he wouldnt get in any team in the prem in my opinion and u have Jay spearing scratching his ass in the stands every week, he is twice the player lucas is and never gets a game....ridiculous