You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shannon Mathews' Mother and Uncle Found Guilty

Section_31

It was never on the same level as the search for pretty little Maddy, though. Of course everyone was worried, but being brutally honest whenever I saw it on the news, my first thought was what an ugly family they were.

The search for Shannon involved everybody for a few miles radius, people who didn't know her or the family.

Pretty little Maddy was abducted in Portugal and nobody knows what level the search was on as it wasn't reported or televised to anything like the same extent.

You have made a wild value judgement based on something that is no more than a sweeping generalisation and a myth and mantra that was trotted out at the time. It is without any foundation. The hunt for Shannon Matthews was the biggest operation undertaken by the Police force in that county since the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper. The people of the local community gave of their time and money to the detriment of their own families for a number of days and weeks.

The pretty Middle Class girl vs the Child of a Ginger Pig...who gets the most sympathy? argument is put forward by people who saw what they wanted to see and who put their own agenda on to it.

The search for Shannon involved everybody for a few miles radius, people who didn't know her or the family.

Pretty little Maddy was abducted in Portugal and nobody knows what level the search was on as it wasn't reported or televised to anything like the same extent.

You have made a wild value judgement based on something that is no more than a sweeping generalisation and a myth and mantra that was trotted out at the time. It is without any foundation. The hunt for Shannon Matthews was the biggest operation undertaken by the Police force in that county since the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper. The people of the local community gave of their time and money to the detriment of their own families for a number of days and weeks.

The pretty Middle Class girl vs the Child of a Ginger Pig...who gets the most sympathy? argument is put forward by people who saw what they wanted to see and who put their own agenda on to it.

Whatever. You've had a hard day in work. You come home and put your feet up in front of the telly with a plate of Linda McCartney's and a cool beer. Who's face would you rather see before you making a desperate plea? Kate McCann or Karen Matthews?

It was never on the same level as the search for pretty little Maddy, though. Of course everyone was worried, but being brutally honest whenever I saw it on the news, my first thought was what an ugly family they were.
Maybe because most people had suspicions something wasn't quite right from the outset.

When I first seen her mum and step dad on the telly, I thought she'd just run away and would turn up in one of her mates.

Whatever. You've had a hard day in work. You come home and put your feet up in front of the telly with a plate of Linda McCartney's and a cool beer. Who's face would you rather see before you making a desperate plea? Kate McCann or Karen Matthews?

Whatever. And you don't think that might be an entirely subjective view? And you don't also think that your perception of which case received more sympathy/interest could be a bit clouded by the fact that, you know, Shannon was actually found after 25 days and Maddy is still missing and in the news?

Whatever. And you don't think that might be an entirely subjective view? And you don't also think that your perception of which case received more sympathy/interest could be a bit clouded by the fact that, you know, Shannon was actually found after 25 days and Maddy is still missing and in the news?

Maybe you're right. If I had a kid that ugly, I'd probably hide her under a bed too.

Madeleine McCann was never called 'Maddy' or 'Maddie' by her parents. She was always called Madeleine. It reminds me a lot of the 'Jamie' that was invented and bandied about by certain unnameable tabloids when James Bulger went missing. His parents never called him 'Jamie' either.

Obviously, the tabloid-literate among us see through this and correctly perceive it for what it is. A calculated way to pull a few more heartstrings and sell a few more papers.

As far as Madeleine and Shannon are concerned, the horrible truth is that a good-looking, photogenic and 'decent' family are always going to garner more sympathy from the red-tops than some scratty family from a sink estate. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but it is the truth.

I have worked in the national media for the last 10 years, by the way, so I know how these things work.

"Well now Mr Donovan, we can't let you go to your death bed without making a confession, can we?"

(fuck me, she was fit)

dianafinal

Maybe she could try the Conversion process on Karen Matthews:

"Well Karen, you will learn to keep your legs closed."

• 2 months later...
Maybe she could try the Conversion process on Karen Matthews:

"Well Karen, you will learn to keep your legs closed."

It's a great idea but I'm not sure the world is ready for Karen Matthews in that flesh coloured body stocking. Julie though, that was another matter completely.

faye_grant@v_the_final_battle_04.jpg

That's exactly the face I'd have left her with. Oh yes.

That autoplay had me in stitches.

I'm not a fan of autoplay but I couldn't get the image of her singing it out of my head, surrounded by dancing members of the underclass.

As he Came Into The Window

It Was The Sound Of A Crescendo

Took her Away from Her Apartment

Planned to find her, round The Market

She Ran Underneath The Table

He Could See She Was Unable

Kept her tied up in The Bedroom

Her mum was too thick, It Was Her Doom

Shannon Are You OK?

So, Shannon Are You OK

Are You OK, Shannon

Shannon Are You OK?

So, Shannon Are You OK

Are You OK, Shannon

Shannon Are You OK?

So, Shannon Are You OK?

Are You OK, Shannon?

Shannon Are You OK?

So, Shannon Are You Ok, Are You Ok, Shannon?

Edited by Section_31
  • Upvote 1

• 7 years later...

The Moorside.

First episode of a two part series based on the whole fucking shitfest starts on Tuesday at 9:00 pm. 

Drama based on the kidnapping of Shannon Matthews. In 2008, a nine-year-old girl goes missing on a council estate in the north of England. A frantic search ensues but no trace of her can be found, and within a few hours the police investigation takes on the scale of a murder inquiry. Appeals by her mother, Karen Matthews, come to nothing, and yet the community, led by the indomitable Julie, stand by her and make extraordinary efforts of their own to find Shannon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08dxvxb

Wonder whatever became of that poor kid.