You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The "things that make you realise you're getting older" thread

Section_31

Guest Pistonbroke

You either grow old or you die. I know what I'd prefer.

Logically, getting annoyed at growing older makes about as much sense as working yourself up over not winning a lottery you haven't bought a ticket for.

It's not so clear cut though mate. Many people have illnesses that they know will lead to a very poor quality of life and put stress on their loved ones once old age kicks in. Then you have the way that society in general is heading where unless you have been lucky enough to have planned for your pension years you are going to be struggling to make ends meat and those in power or wealthy enough themselves couldn't give a fuck about you. 

It's not so clear cut though mate. Many people have illnesses that they know will lead to a very poor quality of life and put stress on their loved ones once old age kicks in. Then you have the way that society in general is heading where unless you have been lucky enough to have planned for your pension years you are going to be struggling to make ends meat and those in power or wealthy enough themselves couldn't give a fuck about you.

Whilst I agree, it doesn't change the underlying premise. We all get old. We can do our best to deal with it but complaining about the inevitable happening doesn't change its inevitably, regardless of external factors.

Added to that, most people I hear of complaining of old age are about 40. And the reason they can't run about like they used to is because they're fat and lazy and eat chippys every night. But no, it's old age that has come for them. Not their own sloth.

Obviously we'd all like a bit longer on this planet to spend with our loved ones, to learn our lessons and do things right eventually, but the reality is if we as a species generally lived for 200 years, we'd want 400. If we lived for 500, we'd want 1000. Make the most of what you get and be grateful, its the only way to be happy.

We all want more. Better health. To look better, to be fitter/stronger. But we have to except things outside of your control. We can control our thought and actions and no more. If you can't fix it with either of those two, it's pointless dwelling on it.

Guest Pistonbroke

Whilst I agree, it doesn't change the underlying premise. We all get old. We can do our best to deal with it but complaining about the inevitable happening doesn't change its inevitably, regardless of external factors.

Added to that, most people I hear of complaining of old age are about 40. And the reason they can't run about like they used to is because they're fat and lazy and eat chippys every night. But no, it's old age that has come for them. Not their own sloth.

Obviously we'd all like a bit longer on this planet to spend with our loved ones, to learn our lessons and do things right eventually, but the reality is if we as a species generally lived for 200 years, we'd want 400. If we lived for 500, we'd want 1000. Make the most of what you get and be grateful, its the only way to be happy. I'm aware that it may seem significantly more difficult for some than others but it's all relative.

Age affects people differently mate, I've met loads of 40 odd year old's going on fucking 70, it also works in the opposite direction but less likely. I've also met a shit load of fat buggers who are totally happy in life and don't whine about old age, I've also met a load of thin people who whine like fuck. 

I agree about the wanting to live longer regardless of life expectancy and when old age is perceived to kick in. 

Personally I'm happy enough in life, fuck me, I still think I'm in my 20's when it comes to certain things. I do however realise that once my body starts seizing up and falling to bits due to illnesses that are not going away that regardless of my state of mind I'll fucking hate old age. 

One last thing, most younger people think like yourself (I'm maybe being a bit presumptuous about your age) we've all been there thinking we were invincible and that we would kick old age in the bollocks when it turns up. Unfortunately for many certain circumstances change all of that, for some it starts after reaching 30, for others 40, 50 or even 60. One thing is for sure, illness combined with old age is not a very pleasant prospect. 

Age affects people differently mate, I've met loads of 40 odd year old's going on fucking 70, it also works in the opposite direction but less likely. I've also met a shit load of fat buggers who are totally happy in life and don't whine about old age, I've also met a load of thin people who whine like fuck.

I agree about the wanting to live longer regardless of life expectancy and when old age is perceived to kick in.

Personally I'm happy enough in life, fuck me, I still think I'm in my 20's when it comes to certain things. I do however realise that once my body starts seizing up and falling to bits due to illnesses that are not going away that regardless of my state of mind I'll fucking hate old age.

One last thing, most younger people think like yourself (I'm maybe being a bit presumptuous about your age) we've all been there thinking we were invincible and that we would kick old age in the bollocks when it turns up. Unfortunately for many certain circumstances change all of that, for some it starts after reaching 30, for others 40, 50 or even 60. One thing is for sure, illness combined with old age is not a very pleasant prospect.

Im fitter in my 40's than I was in my 30's. Most blokes I know are going the other way exactly how you describe. The bloke I got really fit with a few years ago was 50 last year and completely let himself go. I just stand next to him when we go out.

That's the angle it was taken from, It was measured to the centre point using a tape measure.

It's an affliction, isn't it?

But what are those other 2 for? One must be bottles but I'm stumped what 2 that size are for

Im fitter in my 40's than I was in my 30's. Most blokes I know are going the other way exactly how you describe. The bloke I got really fit with a few years ago was 50 last year and completely let himself go. I just stand next to him when we go out.

Feel sorry he has you for a friend.
  • Downvote 1

I will neg you both if this conversation continues

Point taken...however, I do like to do my bit and the amount of waste packaging, rigid plastic, in particular, angers and saddens me. What a legacy for the planet and our children

I suspect friendship is a concept you struggle with to be honest. Although the things my friends and I say to each other means the nonsense you come out with it's like being mauled by a teddy bear.

• Upvote 2

So do I. Not only is he a fat cunt, he's got a smarmy Rico standing next to him while picking the pocket of him and his family and friends so that Rico and his mates can continue to eat swans and drink panda tears.

• Upvote 1