You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

too fat to die ?

neko

LUCASVILLE, Ohio — Ohio executed a 5-foot-7, 267-pound double murderer on Tuesday who argued his obesity made death by lethal injection inhumane.

Richard Cooey, 41, died at 10:28 a.m. at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville, said Jim Gravelle, a spokesman with state attorney general's office.

There were no immediate reports of difficulties finding suitable veins to deliver the deadly chemicals, a problem that has delayed previous executions in the state.

Mr. Cooey's lawyers had argued that his weight problem would make it difficult for prison staff to access a vein. A prisons spokeswoman said Mr. Cooey received a pre-execution exam early Tuesday and was cleared.

Mr. Cooey, who killed two University of Akron students in 1986, walked into the death chamber at 10:15 a.m. wearing gray pants and was strapped onto the gurney.

“You (expletive) haven't paid any attention to anything I've said in the last 22 1/2 years, why would anyone pay any attention to anything I've had to say now,” Mr. Cooey said looking at the ceiling. He made no other comment.

Mr. Cooey tapped the fingers of his left hand several times before he died and his face took on a purple shade.

Six family members of one of his victims watched the execution. Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh said the family was disappointed that Mr. Cooey was vulgar and hateful at the end.

He was the first inmate executed in Ohio in more than a year, and the state's first since the end of the unofficial moratorium on executions that began last year while the U.S. Supreme Court reviewed Kentucky's lethal injection procedure.

Mr. Cooey made an earlier trip to the death house. But a U.S. District Court judge intervened hours before his scheduled execution in July 2003 when the Ohio Public Defender's office said it needed more time to assess the case after an appeals court dismissed his previous attorneys for inadequate representation.

Mr. Cooey and a co-defendant were convicted in the sexual assaults and slayings of University of Akron students Dawn McCreery, 20, and Wendy Offredo, 21, in September 1986. His co-defendant was 17 and was sentenced to life in prison because of his age.

The state has now executed 27 inmates since 1999, when Ohio renewed executions after more than three decades.

“You (expletive) haven't paid any attention to anything I've said in the last 22 1/2 years, why would anyone pay any attention to anything I've had to say now,” Mr. Cooey said looking at the ceiling. He made no other comment.

Mr. Cooey tapped the fingers of his left hand several times before he died and his face took on a purple shade.

Six family members of one of his victims watched the execution. Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh said the family was disappointed that Mr. Cooey was vulgar and hateful at the end.

Aki?

you know - if you like that story, you'll love this link.....

texas department of justice (death row)

Death Row Home Page

complete history of all offenders on death row (does not make for nice reading)

i used to love looking at the last meal requests (since removed). the ones who regret their actions usually order something simple. the really nasty ones order 6 litres of ice cream and 50 doughnuts.

you can still see their vital stats and their last statements.

LUCASVILLE, Ohio — Ohio executed a 5-foot-7, 267-pound double murderer on Tuesday who argued his obesity made death by lethal injection inhumane.

Richard Cooey, 41, died at 10:28 a.m. at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville, said Jim Gravelle, a spokesman with state attorney general's office.

There were no immediate reports of difficulties finding suitable veins to deliver the deadly chemicals, a problem that has delayed previous executions in the state.

Mr. Cooey's lawyers had argued that his weight problem would make it difficult for prison staff to access a vein. A prisons spokeswoman said Mr. Cooey received a pre-execution exam early Tuesday and was cleared.

Mr. Cooey, who killed two University of Akron students in 1986, walked into the death chamber at 10:15 a.m. wearing gray pants and was strapped onto the gurney.

He was the first inmate executed in Ohio in more than a year, and the state's first since the end of the unofficial moratorium on executions that began last year while the U.S. Supreme Court reviewed Kentucky's lethal injection procedure.

Mr. Cooey made an earlier trip to the death house. But a U.S. District Court judge intervened hours before his scheduled execution in July 2003 when the Ohio Public Defender's office said it needed more time to assess the case after an appeals court dismissed his previous attorneys for inadequate representation.

Mr. Cooey and a co-defendant were convicted in the sexual assaults and slayings of University of Akron students Dawn McCreery, 20, and Wendy Offredo, 21, in September 1986. His co-defendant was 17 and was sentenced to life in prison because of his age.

The state has now executed 27 inmates since 1999, when Ohio renewed executions after more than three decades.

22 years on death row and he wasn't chirpy in his last moments? The bastard.

here are a couple of examples from the texas death row web page. they provide all the details for offenders on death row (past and present). it makes for shocking reading......

Offender Information - Holbert, Brittany

Holberg robbed and murdered an 80 year old white male in his home. The victim was struck with a hammer and stabbed nearly 60 times. The weapons used were: a paring knife, a butcher knife, a grapefruit knife, and a fork. A lamp pole had been shoved more than 5 inches down the victim's throat.

Offender Information - William Murray

i'll let you read the details, but this was the latest (and most deserving) inmate to be executed

you know - if you like that story, you'll love this link.....

texas department of justice (death row)

Death Row Home Page

complete history of all offenders on death row (does not make for nice reading)

i used to love looking at the last meal requests (since removed). the ones who regret their actions usually order something simple. the really nasty ones order 6 litres of ice cream and 50 doughnuts.

you can still see their vital stats and their last statements.

I just read a few, very strange.

Then i though "i'll look for another David (my name)". I scrolled down, found one and his seond name is the same as mine too. That freaked me out.

I keep singing this thread title to the tune of that Jamiroquai song.

Most annoying band ever. Annoying name, annoying fans, annoying c*nt of a frontman and annoying music.