You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Are worried about Alonso now that Barry is not coming?

Red Spartan

Are you worried about Alonso now that Barry is not coming?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Are you worried about Alonso now that Barry is not coming?

• Not worried the least, Alonso is a quality player.
    • A bit worried but not too much, he will find his form.
    • Sceptical, maybe we should bring someone else in his position.
    • He should go, his form is not going to improve.

Nah, he's had some poor form bute he's got the ability and that's all that matters.

It's like finding out you've missed out on that new Merc, but then realising you've still got a Rolls Royce in the garage, it might need some oil, but it's still a rolls.

Liverpool FC in fresh talks over Gareth Barry

Jul 30 2008 Liverpool Echo

FRESH talks are under way between Liverpool and Aston Villa to thrash out Gareth Barry’s proposed move to Anfield, the Echo understands.

Rafa Benitez has lined up England international Barry as one of the key summer targets to strengthen his squad in a bid to launch a strong Premier League title challenge in the forthcoming season.

The Midlands club have already rejected several bids by the Reds to prise their captain from Villa Park.

The Echo also understands, however, that reports that a deal has been completed are premature.

Also, The Daily Mail is reporting that Liverpool have offered £17.5million plus Steve Finnan for Barry, and Villa have accepted.

Alonso is like Herbert von Karajan, but there are boundries when it comes to how much magic they can create through influencing the once around them.

Could it be a coincidence that what a few of you like to call Alonsos drop in form had something to do with the introduction of one track minded players like Kuyt and Pennant in the team that would not get in behind a defense even with a gun to their head.

I'm sceptical.

I think Barry will arrive, just a hunch.

But should he not, then I am concerned about Alonso. No doubt when on top form he's top class. However I personally don't think he's been on top form consistently the last two season's. We've seen the odd game where he's like the old Alonso - such as the semi last season against Chelsea, where I thought his use of the ball was fantastic. But I don't think that was a true reflection of his season overall. Alonso has the ability to raise his game and I must admit even if he doesn't he's still a very good player.

What concerns me more about his ability is his hunger and morale. It's clear that Benitez has been willing to sell him all summer - that's going to dent someones morale. Alonso knows that he wasn't essential or in the forefront of Benitez's future plans for where we are going. Alonso can at times go through the motions and personally I think he can play within himself. In his first season he was putting real zip on the ball. The last couple of season's he's been hitting more slow, lofted passes and it slows down our play, gives the opposition more time to close players. For example he loves doing high, slow chips passes out wide to Pennant. These passes come to Pennant slowly, he then has to control the ball in the air and then think about beating a player or make a pass. By this time the opposition player is right next to Pennant, he's closed down and it makes it difficult. Our wide players need quick service and ideally to feet. Gerrard does this, I think Barry would do this well, tidy, efficent, quick passes - putting our attacking players on the front foot, rather than giving opposition defenders time to press and narrow space.

I hope Barry comes. Should we see the Alonso of two years ago I'd be delighted, but personally I think we should have doubts given he hasn't produced performances like those for two years, plus will he be likely given he knows he's not indispensible under Benitez and would have been shipped out had we got the right offer.

Why do we play like shite 9 out of 10 times Alonso is not in the team?

I think that's because he's one of our better players and certainly one of our best 'footballers'.

I agree with your point. Last season when Alonso was injured was it a coincidence that our form suffered and our team didn't look like it could keep hold of the football for more than two passes?!

I'm not doubting his quality. I'm doubting his hunger, his morale and his consistancy. We're a better team when he plays as Gerrard can play higher up the field, with Mascherano and Alonso controlling the centre of the field. People rave about Lucas, who's an exciting prospect but Alonso is far superior for me at present. I think Barry would suit us more and it's clear Benitez wants him. I think it's important that should a manager want a player badly then he gets them. Barry was obviously going to be an important cog in this new crushing machine Benitez is trying to create with Torres, Keane, Gerrard, Mascherano and Barry. Alonso wasn't! I'd rather have the player our manager wanted, rather than the player who is publically available to leave should we get the right offer.

I think that's because he's one of our better players and certainly one of our best 'footballers'.

I agree with your point. Last season when Alonso was injured was it a coincidence that our form suffered and our team didn't look like it could keep hold of the football for more than two passes?!

I'm not doubting his quality. I'm doubting his hunger, his morale and his consistancy. We're a better team when he plays as Gerrard can play higher up the field, with Mascherano and Alonso controlling the centre of the field. People rave about Lucas, who's an exciting prospect but Alonso is far superior for me at present. I think Barry would suit us more and it's clear Benitez wants him. I think it's important that should a manager want a player badly then he gets them. Barry was obviously going to be an important cog in this new crushing machine Benitez is trying to create with Torres, Keane, Gerrard, Mascherano and Barry. Alonso wasn't! I'd rather have the player our manager wanted, rather than the player who is publically available to leave should we get the right offer.

I think thats one of the main reasons why I supported the Barry transfer all along. Not because he is a better player than Alonso but because he was essential to Rafas plans.

Fair enough, you are allowed to do whatever you feel like.

I think the only reason Alonso will get sold is because of the Inter match, and people I trust have said Rafa was furious because of it when it happened.

Guest TK-421

If he stays I would be a bit concerned about his motivation and/or relationship with Rafa, but I think he's a good enough player. I think it would be hard knowing in the back of your mind that the manager wanted to sell.