You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What reception will you give Owen?

Kevin D

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well put.

I was at the match when he first came back with Newcastle. My opinion of him prior to that was that he'd behaved in a selfish manner and that I couldn't give a fuck about him. I didn't hate him, I still appreciated what he'd done but he was tainted. When those chants went up, I didn't get involved in singing them, though part of me thought he deserved it. I couldn't bring myself to ridicule him like that and when he looked like he was going to cry which, to me he did, I thought it'd gone too far. It's in the past now, I'm pretty ambivalent in my feelings about him.

Sums it up for me.

He is a player brought up at the club and he made a mistake and left. He hasnt genuinely had the option to come back I dont think. Newcastle fucked us over knowing the only reason he would go to them was by offering a lot more than us so madrid would force him to go there.

Maybe he could have stayed stronger but he was obviously fearful of being sat on a madrid bench.

How you can turn on him as certain people are it baffles me.

I remember goin most games in the seasons when we werent doin to well and I remember Owen being the shining light for me along with carra at centre back and heggem at right back.

But those who wanna slag him off will and thats your prorogative but you probably slag gerrard off too so you instantly go down in my estimations.

Sorry oh great and wise one. We do apologise

I'm not down with all this Owen hating. I can see people's reasons for it, but for me all the good he did in a red shirt easily outweighs everything else.

I have no sympathy for his current predicament, as it's largely self inflicted, but I've got no beef with him either. Owen is one of the greatest strikers in our history, and gave us a lot of great memories.

I hope he gets polite applause, as he deserves it.

Which is as it should be. I dont hate him. I'm grateful for what he did in a red shirt, even in his last "I cant be arsed being here" season (which apparently it is ok for him to have been like as he must have been fed up, the poor diddums). I do think he screwed us over, but then again, he is a modern footballer.

I remain highly skeptical that Owen left the club in the way he did with the intention of doing us out of 10 Mil. None of the abuse aimed at him can be justified, you could argue all day long but you will not be able to justify any of it. If your in the 'owen is a rat' camp and you really think about why you are saying the things you are about him, and if you have any ounce of honesty you will admit it is just another excuse to moan and blame someone else for the way you feel, because people are, in general, miserable moaning bastards. I am guilty of the same thing, so i am not trying to be a self righteous in any way. Owen was fantastic for this club, end of. Ok he didn't leave in a way which is in harmony with some people's belief's but he did not commit mass genocide did he? and he is certainly not a rat. Ok he likes his money in the bank, but who doesn't? Money isn't a bad thing it's actually fucking brilliant. A man's suspicion of another is a measure of his own deceitfulness - truth. Applause from me all day long.