You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Juniper

A woman goes to stay with her estranged son and the grandson she's never met, to reconnect with them before she dies.

Charlotte Rampling leads in this charming little film, set in New Zealand. She is excellent (thankfully cast instead of Judy flipping Dench).

Some genuinely moving and funny scenes rub shoulders with some so-so acting (the bloke who plays the dad being especially poor imo).

6/10 Kodi Seren Real Debrid

4 hours ago, Arniepie said:

The pianist 

Watched it years ago and stumbled upon it last night on Netflix. 

Schlinders list got all the plaudits but this is just as harrowing 

Heavy

8/10

A film that requires perfect pronunciation. 

14 hours ago, Arniepie said:

The pianist 

Heavy

8/10

I still laugh at the bit where they just launch that old fella out of his wheelchair though, unexpected comedy gold. Soz.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Arniepie said:

The pianist 

Heavy

8/10

There are some films that I can watch countless times and others like this one only the once, but stories like this need to be shown.

Harrowing and heavy is the right description.

The Great and Terrible Day of The Lord

A young courting couple go for their first weekend away together at his family's empty house in the woods. On the first night there, whilst trying to get her knickers off, Michael suddenly reveals that he is God and that she (Gabby) will die before the end of the weekend unless she accepts him, loves him and worships him.

Weird right? Yes, but very very intriguing. I watched this, quite fascinated, for the first 50 minutes or so, but then the overly verbose dodgy creepy bastard really started to get right on my tits.

About an hour too long and so far up it's own arse that's it defies belief. I came close to booting my telly through the window.

1/10 Nodi Fen Real Debrid in 4k

4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Late to the party, but I've just watched Parasite. 

I expected it to be heavy - which it certainly was - but I didn't realise how funny much of it was, how deeply moving the situation of some of the characters or how twisty the plot would be. 

Or how fit the rich wife would be 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Late to the party, but I've just watched Parasite. 

I expected it to be heavy - which it certainly was - but I didn't realise how funny much of it was, how deeply moving the situation of some of the characters or how twisty the plot would be. 

Yup, the plot was almost Hitchcockian. Loved it.

Shame 3/4

Michael Fassbender is a sex addict whose free-spirited sister Carey Mulligan comes to stay. It's extremely well-directed and well-acted, but I found the characters in it so essentially dislikable that it's a difficult film to love. It is almost certainly a much better film than my rating, but there you go.

Promising Young Woman 3/4

Carey Mulligan again, excellent again, as a troubled young lady who pretends to be drunk so she can bait scummy guys into taking advantage of her. As has been noted on here before, Carey sure can wear a nurse's outfit, but boy oh boy, does this movie have a low opinion of the male of the species. Men will probably be watching this and thinking:

baddies-gif.gif

At times this film can't seem to decide if it wants to be a romcom or a revenge thriller, and the contrast is jarring. And everything is tied up far too neatly in the end. Nevertheless it is entertaining, and isn't that the most important thing.

Mass 3.5/4

Two sets of grieving parents meet up to try to make sense of a school tragedy that unites them. It's verging on the stagey (most of the film plays out in a single room) but brilliant performances from all four leads - Martha Plimpton, Reed Birney, Ann Dowd and our own Jason Isaacs - make it well worth watching. This is Fran Kranz's first film as director; he is a promising young man.

Nobody 3/4

Bob Odenkirk is the latest unlikely action star in this silly but fun thriller. Bob is a family man drawn back into his old, violent life by a random crime, eventually coming up against what seems to be the entire Russian mob. Writer Derek Kolstad also wrote John Wick, and this shares much of that film's DNA. It's basically John Wick with a dash of A History of Violence. Still, everyone seems to be really enjoying themselves, especially a shotgun-toting Christopher Lloyd as Bob's dad.

On 31/01/2022 at 21:54, Strontium said:

Shame 3/4

Michael Fassbender is a sex addict whose free-spirited sister Carey Mulligan comes to stay. It's extremely well-directed and well-acted, but I found the characters in it so essentially dislikable that it's a difficult film to love. It is almost certainly a much better film than my rating, but there you go.

Promising Young Woman 3/4

Carey Mulligan again, excellent again, as a troubled young lady who pretends to be drunk so she can bait scummy guys into taking advantage of her. As has been noted on here before, Carey sure can wear a nurse's outfit, but boy oh boy, does this movie have a low opinion of the male of the species. Men will probably be watching this and thinking:

baddies-gif.gif

At times this film can't seem to decide if it wants to be a romcom or a revenge thriller, and the contrast is jarring. And everything is tied up far too neatly in the end. Nevertheless it is entertaining, and isn't that the most important thing.

Mass 3.5/4

Two sets of grieving parents meet up to try to make sense of a school tragedy that unites them. It's verging on the stagey (most of the film plays out in a single room) but brilliant performances from all four leads - Martha Plimpton, Reed Birney, Ann Dowd and our own Jason Isaacs - make it well worth watching. This is Fran Kranz's first film as director; he is a promising young man.

Nobody 3/4

Bob Odenkirk is the latest unlikely action star in this silly but fun thriller. Bob is a family man drawn back into his old, violent life by a random crime, eventually coming up against what seems to be the entire Russian mob. Writer Derek Kolstad also wrote John Wick, and this shares much of that film's DNA. It's basically John Wick with a dash of A History of Violence. Still, everyone seems to be really enjoying themselves, especially a shotgun-toting Christopher Lloyd as Bob's dad.

Are we now using fractions to rate our film choices?

The Greatest Showman. 3/10.

Big disappointment for me.

I know it's a musical but it seems like a song every two minutes.

Gave up after an hour. It's not night time viewing, might be OK on a Sunday afternoon when you could fall asleep during it.

Also, considering all the shit about Snow White and the 7 dwarfs surprised this didn't get any criticism.

Fucksake Logan, why did you die.