You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

The Magnificent Seven. (Original, 1960)

10/10. For a film so old the quality is unbelievably good. Filmed in Panavision, whatever that means ? Saw this when I was a kid at the Abbey cinema in Wavertree.

Quality story, cast and acting.

Name the Seven comes up in quizzes here and Eli Wallach is given as a correct answer, never queried it but I will now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

The Magnificent Seven. (Original, 1960)

10/10. For a film so old the quality is unbelievably good. Filmed in Panavision, whatever that means ? Saw this when I was a kid at the Abbey cinema in Wavertree.

Quality story, cast and acting.

Name the Seven comes up in quizzes here and Eli Wallach is given as a correct answer, never queried it but I will now.

As soon as I saw this post, I started humming the theme tune in my head. This immediately caused an uplift in spirits. 

Great film. One of the greatest theme tunes. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Shitty Arse said:

I love that. HBO documentary wasn’t it?

It was hilarious in places , when they were interviewing people who are grown up now about their memories of the place. Also the fact it was staffed mainly by disinterested stoned and drunk teenagers. Would’ve been a great summer job. I think it sounded boss! The 70s and 80s were a more fun time to grow up in. Apart from the few people that died there obviously. 

Hilarious and great fun until towards the end when you see the parents of the dead children

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

As soon as I saw this post, I started humming the theme tune in my head. This immediately caused an uplift in spirits. 

Great film. One of the greatest theme tunes. 

Definitely an uplifting feel good theme!

If ever you get the chance, live orchestra playing movie themes, so good.

Saw Royal Liverpool Ochestra do movie themes and another time doing Bond themes, exhilarating.

Think Sunday night is gonna be movie classics night for a while.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, redheart said:

Hilarious and great fun until towards the end when you see the parents of the dead children

They made it sound like bodies were piling up but judging by the show, there weren’t that many. But some of the injuries were fucking shocking. The guy who ran it was clearly another level of cunt, especially for trump to describe the park as too unhinged to invest in it.

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

They made it sound like bodies were piling up but judging by the show, there weren’t that many. But some of the injuries were fucking shocking. The guy who ran it was clearly another level of cunt, especially for trump to describe the park as too unhinged to invest in it.

That tidal wave pool sounds a level up from heat waves 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

That tidal wave pool sounds a level up from heat waves 

That looked moderately safe compared to the other stuff. The loop water slide that generated 9g or something stupid. Kids testing it for 100 bucks? 

5 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

That looked moderately safe compared to the other stuff. The loop water slide that generated 9g or something stupid. Kids testing it for 100 bucks? 

3 of the six fatalities were in the pool, madness. 

16 hours ago, Shitty Arse said:

I love that. HBO documentary wasn’t it?

It was hilarious in places , when they were interviewing people who are grown up now about their memories of the place. Also the fact it was staffed mainly by disinterested stoned and drunk teenagers. Would’ve been a great summer job. I think it sounded boss! The 70s and 80s were a more fun time to grow up in. Apart from the few people that died there obviously. 

Complete madness, I’d never heard of it before watching that.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I missed that.

Six people are known to have died directly or indirectly from rides at Action Park:

• July 8, 1980: 19-year-old George Larsson, Jr. was riding the Alpine Slide when his car jumped the track and his head struck a rock. He was rushed to the hospital and died on July 16.[69] Gene Mulvihill lied to reporters that Larsson was an employee because a customer's death would have to be reported to the state. While Larsson had been on the payroll of the neighboring ski resort owned by Mulvihill as a ski lift operator the prior season; he never worked at Action Park.[70]
  • July 24, 1982: George Lopez, a 15-year-old boy, drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.[69]
  • August 1, 1982: Jeffrey Nathan, a 27-year-old man from Fair Lawn, New Jersey, got out of his tipped kayak on the Kayak Experience, to right it. While doing so, he stepped on a grate that was in contact with exposed live wiring for the underwater fans, and he suffered a severe electric shock, which sent him into cardiac arrest. Two of Nathan's relatives nearby him when the accident occurred were also injured.[71] Nathan was taken to a hospital in nearby Warwick, New York, where he died later of the shock-induced cardiac arrest.[2][69] The park at first disputed that the electric current caused his death, saying no burns were found on his body, but the coroner responded that burns generally do not occur in a water-based electrocution.[2] The ride was drained and closed for the investigation. Accounts differed as to the extent of the exposed wiring; the park said it was "just a nick", while others argued it was closer to 8 inches (20 cm).[2] The state's Labor Department found that the fan was properly installed and maintained and that no violations of safety laws or amusement-ride regulations had occurred. However, it also said that a 19−ampere electric current found to be flowing through a ground circuit three days after the incident suggested the presence of a level of current in the underwater fan's motor circuit which could have caused bodily injury, under certain circumstances.[72] The park claimed it had been vindicated, although it never reopened the ride, saying that people would be afraid to go on it afterwards.[2]
  • 1984 (Date Unknown): A fatal heart attack suffered by one visitor was unofficially believed to have been triggered by the shock of the cold water in the pool beneath the Tarzan Swing. The water on the ride and in that swimming area was 50–60 °F (10–16 °C), while other water areas were in the 70–80 °F (21–27 °C) range, more typical of swimming pools. The Tarzan Swing and the Cannonball ride in this area were operated by spring water.[2]
  • August 27, 1984: Donald DePass, a 20-year-old from Brooklyn, drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.[73]
  • July 19, 1987: 18-year-old Gregory Grandchamps drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.[69][74]

12 hours ago, redheart said:

I did say it was sad that some people died there in my original post. 1974 no one died. 1975 no one died. 1976 no one died. 1977 no one died. 1978 no one died. 1979 no one died. In 1980 some one died. 1981 no one died……. 

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Six people are known to have died directly or indirectly from rides at Action Park:

• July 8, 1980: 19-year-old George Larsson, Jr. was riding the Alpine Slide when his car jumped the track and his head struck a rock. He was rushed to the hospital and died on July 16.[69] Gene Mulvihill lied to reporters that Larsson was an employee because a customer's death would have to be reported to the state. While Larsson had been on the payroll of the neighboring ski resort owned by Mulvihill as a ski lift operator the prior season; he never worked at Action Park.[70]
  • July 24, 1982: George Lopez, a 15-year-old boy, drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.[69]
  • August 1, 1982: Jeffrey Nathan, a 27-year-old man from Fair Lawn, New Jersey, got out of his tipped kayak on the Kayak Experience, to right it. While doing so, he stepped on a grate that was in contact with exposed live wiring for the underwater fans, and he suffered a severe electric shock, which sent him into cardiac arrest. Two of Nathan's relatives nearby him when the accident occurred were also injured.[71] Nathan was taken to a hospital in nearby Warwick, New York, where he died later of the shock-induced cardiac arrest.[2][69] The park at first disputed that the electric current caused his death, saying no burns were found on his body, but the coroner responded that burns generally do not occur in a water-based electrocution.[2] The ride was drained and closed for the investigation. Accounts differed as to the extent of the exposed wiring; the park said it was "just a nick", while others argued it was closer to 8 inches (20 cm).[2] The state's Labor Department found that the fan was properly installed and maintained and that no violations of safety laws or amusement-ride regulations had occurred. However, it also said that a 19−ampere electric current found to be flowing through a ground circuit three days after the incident suggested the presence of a level of current in the underwater fan's motor circuit which could have caused bodily injury, under certain circumstances.[72] The park claimed it had been vindicated, although it never reopened the ride, saying that people would be afraid to go on it afterwards.[2]
  • 1984 (Date Unknown): A fatal heart attack suffered by one visitor was unofficially believed to have been triggered by the shock of the cold water in the pool beneath the Tarzan Swing. The water on the ride and in that swimming area was 50–60 °F (10–16 °C), while other water areas were in the 70–80 °F (21–27 °C) range, more typical of swimming pools. The Tarzan Swing and the Cannonball ride in this area were operated by spring water.[2]
  • August 27, 1984: Donald DePass, a 20-year-old from Brooklyn, drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.[73]
  • July 19, 1987: 18-year-old Gregory Grandchamps drowned in the Tidal Wave Pool.[69][74]

Extraordinary 3 died the same way, presumably the waves just took them under. But the descriptions in the others make for truly crazy ways to go. Electrocuted by an underwater fan, cold shock on a Tarzan swing and flying off a slide car into a rock. 

Oppenheimer 

Really enjoyed this up until the Trinity test but thought it dragged a bit after that. I could've lived without the jumping back and forward in time so much & also, at times I felt like the soundtrack didn't match the film. 6.5/10

Extraction and Extraction 2- 7/10 and 7.5/10. Both just good, mindless action, no need to engage your brain cells, just watch the shooting, great stunts and camerawork and pretty explosions. Judging by the final scenes in the second one, they're going for a John Wick-esque franchise with a wider set of players, which might be fun.

One thing though- in the first one, they go all out to save the life of a kid. In the process they kill dozens upon dozens of soldiers and policemen. Bizarre morality- if the lives of a hundred men can save one innocent child, then it'll all be worth it.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mudface said:

Extraction and Extraction 2- 7/10 and 7.5/10. Both just good, mindless action, no need to engage your brain cells, just watch the shooting, great stunts and camerawork and pretty explosions. Judging by the final scenes in the second one, they're going for a John Wick-esque franchise with a wider set of players, which might be fun.

One thing though- in the first one, they go all out to save the life of a kid. In the process they kill dozens upon dozens of soldiers and policemen. Bizarre morality- if the lives of a hundred men can save one innocent child, then it'll all be worth it.

She had these on but I wasn’t paying much attention although the scene in one of them with the kids on the roof was horrible. 

Jasper, Texas

True story of the 1998 murder of a black man by 3 white men. Made in 2003 never knew it existed but a good film. Leader of the black panthers could have been cast better to be fair but decent all the same. A few harrowing scenes around the actual murder and the body. 7/10 

25 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Classic night.

Butch cassidy and the sundance kid. 4/10.

Not how I remembered it, very disappointing held together by Newman and Redford. One of those films where nothing is happening and to long spent on them being chased.

Tell me the last time you saw it Tony and the good bits please? 

Script is OK but only because of the stars.