You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Star Wars Film

Section_31

Best Star Wars film?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Best Star Wars film?

• A New Hope
    • The Empire Strikes Back
    • Return of the Jedi

Isn't he supposedly found outside the Sarlacc pit by another bounty hunter? I didn't read it. :|

Yeah Dengar I think. Decent story - I think they really screwed up "killing" Fett the way they did in the movie, so it was a chance of redemption.

Some of the books set after the films are quite good

Empire all day,

The AT-AT's were by far the coolest fucking things i'd ever seen.

C3PO gets blown apart

Han gets tortured and then frozen.

Everything Vader does in that movie is ace, all his lines are ace

There are no muppets dancing around a campfire

It doesn't contain "But I was going to Taji Station to pick up some poweeeeeeer converteeers"

" I am your father" Best line in cinematic history ( along with I think were gonna need a bigger boat)

Even though I voted for Empire, I don't think it's anywhere near as clear-cut as the poll suggests. I love Jedi, too. It's a brilliant end to the trilogy - and I love the battle for Endor. I can't be doing with all this, "I'm too cool for Ewoks" shite that gets thrown around. They were mini-Chewies. Enough said.

Star Wars, the original and still the best.

All of the ideas, characters, locations, death stars and 'wow' bits were in the first film, and although Empire was way darker and Jedi more 'action', Star Wars is the best of the 3. Its just a monstrously good film (and I remember going to the cinema to watch it).

Nothing against Ewoks though, as 'the ewoks made Jar Jar Binks look like fucking Shaft'.

I Voted ESB, mainly because it was the darkest of the films and the best all round. The Hoth battle scenes are brilliant, it has the best lightsaber dual, discovery of Darth Vader being lukes father, the Jedi training and the lando city scenes.

As a kid I probably watch ROTJ most, and loved it for the Jabba palace scenes, the escape from the barge/sarlac, the endor battle and the end lightsaber dual. But if anything I think ROTJ is my least favourite of the original trilogy now.

I too want to add to the praise for the first film - it was fucking brilliant. Me and my dad went to see it at the Odeon behind The Empire in town when it first came out when I was six. We queued all the way around the block and I was sure we wouldn't get in, but we scraped it by about three people. It was the most mind-blowing experience I've ever had at the pictures: literally overwhelming.

Episode IV is the best, with Mos Eisley space cantina the greatest scene out of all the movies in my opinion. Best viewed in its original format without a stupid digital slug in docking bay 94.

Star Wars IV knits together as a movie so well. There are three distinct parts being Tatooine, the Death Star/subsequent escape and then the final battle. It moves along at a lightning pace and is over before you know it, but still gives time for character development. The dynamics between Luke, Leia and Han on the Death Star are spot on.

Empire drifts a bit as Han & co piss around wasting time while Luke trains to be a Jedi. The scene in the space slug is a bit crap, although the asteroid chase that precedes it is brilliant. I still think it's completely awesome.

I wouldn't say the films are for kids, although they do cater for a wide audience which includes kids. However many of the recurring themes in the films are for a more mature audience, such as love, politics and the nature of what defines good and evil.

I just burnt a load of bacon typing that.

Star Wars IV knits together as a movie so well. There are three distinct parts being Tatooine, the Death Star/subsequent escape and then the final battle. It moves along at a lightning pace and is over before you know it, but still gives time for character development. The dynamics between Luke, Leia and Han on the Death Star are spot on.

Empire drifts a bit as Han & co piss around wasting time while Luke trains to be a Jedi. The scene in the space slug is a bit crap, although the asteroid chase that precedes it is brilliant. I still think it's completely awesome.

I wouldn't say the films are for kids, although they do cater for a wide audience which includes kids. However many of the recurring themes in the films are for a more mature audience, such as love, politics and the nature of what defines good and evil.

I just burnt a load of bacon typing that.

I'd say ep.IV is a lot slower than the other two. Until Han Solo comes in it's really slugish.

Star Wars was great. I watched it at the pictures in Birkenhead (was it the Canon Cinema? Sort of opposite the old market?)

Totally amazing spectacle for a little kid, and becasue it wss the first, I'd have to say it was the best (most memorable) for me.

But then, you can make a strong case for the others too. I though ROTJ rounded it all off nicely. I remember having a soft spot for Princess Leia too. Good days!

Star Wars was great. I watched it at the pictures in Birkenhead (was it the Canon Cinema? Sort of opposite the old market?)

Totally amazing spectacle for a little kid, and becasue it wss the first, I'd have to say it was the best (most memorable) for me.

But then, you can make a strong case for the others too. I though ROTJ rounded it all off nicely. I remember having a soft spot for Princess Leia too. Good days!

I will one day talk a fit bird into wearing that 'slave' outfit from Jabba's barge. RAWR!

I'd say ep.IV is a lot slower than the other two. Until Han Solo comes in it's really slugish.

Just a bit of scene setting, isn't it? There's still lots happening with those sand people and, erm, moisture farms. You can never have enough moisture farms.