You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool v Spurs

drewy

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrard seriously needs to pull his shit together because he is neither a leader by example or by words at this moment.

There's some serious problems with this team under the surface and if we don't fix it soon then it could be the beginning of the end.

I agree with RK here.

As I said in another thread, we need a performance off Gerrard soon! He went on all last season (and the summer), about not being able to play centre mid. Now he's got what he wants and isn't making the most of it.

I agree with RK here.

As I said in another thread, we need a performance off Gerrard soon! He went on all last season (and the summer), about not being able to play centre mid. Now he's got what he wants and isn't making the most of it.

Agree with that. All it was last season was "We'll never do anything in the league until Rafa plays Gerrard in the centre." Well, here we are then, eh?

Agree with that. All it was last season was "We'll never do anything in the league until Rafa plays Gerrard in the centre." Well, here we are then, eh?

When Alonso gets fit might be time to stick him out on the right, Pennant left and babel upfront with Torres

At least until we buy real wingers in Jan

I think that's a nonsense totally. Gerrard and Mascherano would never get overrun. We disagree... United play with 5 attacking players including Scholes, how often do they get overrun?

We were neither dominant or dominated in the midfield, defensively Masch and Gerrard were taken out of the game as the spurs kept booting the ball up to Berbatov. As much as Rafa likes to maintain the "shape" of his team it's not conducive to players wanting to run slightly out of position to receive the ball, it's more a case of the passer needing to find a team mate rather than the other way around. I feel that we are lacking that movement in the midfield because of the strict positional discipline that is adhered to and is probably the reason why we only see quick mostly long passes made upfield as opposed to short passes. It's kind of like counter-attacking without really countering any sort of attack, I remember Babel saying in an interview "we make three passes then shoot."

There were a number of times when Pennant went down the right wing and on most days he would have three options - cross, play back to right back or play the square ball to the CM's. The last two options weren't there so he had to cross and at times they were awkward crosses at best. We played a much more expansive game towards the end hunting for that last goal as it pushed the spurs back and we were effectively playing three at the back. What was noticeable I think was that Mascherano saw a lot more ball and was playing it around like Xabi, because he had more time, and he got a lot more confidence, started making runs and had a neat shot which just evaded the right hand post. Basically he was co-ordinating everything as opposed to the previous 80 minutes when he was just sitting solid cutting any balls that were played through and not doing much else.

Maybe I'm just talking shite, but I really think we need a lot more movement out there especially in the middle of the park. If we had more movement, our ball retention would be better and we wouldn't be defending as much. Perhaps we need players who are better technically on the ball.