You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland Vs. Liverpool

Malarkey

Right, iIm rather fucking sick of this Chelsea saga carrying on and on and to be honest, let's look to the next game ahead. I think Rafa will start with Crouchinho up top against Blunderland and i think we'll win, heavily. I think the team will be:

----------------------------Reina----------------------------

----Finnan----------Carra------------Hyypia--------------Riise

----Babel-----------Xabi-------------Momo---------------Yossi

------------------Crouch------------Voro---------------------

Found it pretty hard to pick a team on the basis of: Gerrard being injured, and Rafa's rotational policy.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------------------Reina----------------------------

----Albert----------Carra------------Agger--------------Riise

----Babel-----------Xabi-------------Masch---------------Yossi

------------------Crouch------------Voro---------------------

That's what I'm gonna put down for my fantasy Rafa team anyway

I don't know enough about Sunderland to say where their threat will come from. However, regardless of that, we should pick a strong side and just twat them. Is The Chief still being rested because of his international commitments over the summer? If so, I'd go with this side:

Pepe

Finnan Carra Danny Boy Albert

Yossi Big Mo Xabi Babel

Crouchinho El Nino

I'd really like to see the same defence in order to get into a clean sheets rhythm. After that, it's all about the attack. I've picked the new boys onthe flanks simply because I want to see more of them in the league.

Playing Sissoko in games that we reckon "might be a bit physical" is always a disaster. Look at last season's evidence (esp Everton and Bolton).

He's only useful when the opposition deffo aren't "a bit physical" and don't really expect a six foot tall wrecking ball chasing them all over the pitch booting them into the air (cf Barcelona).

I think Sunderland should be taken on with our best, most technically gifted players, not just slightly better versions of their cloggers.

Alonso's no pansy, and Gerrard/ Masher love a scrap anyway.

Plus they'll be well used to playing slow, tall strikers in the Championship. They won't be so used to taking on quicksilver superstars.

-----------------------------Reina----------------------------

Finnan--------Carragher------------------Agger-----------Riise

Tennants------Gerrard-------------------Alonso----------Babel

---------------Kuyt---------------------Torres-------------

I don't know enough about Sunderland to say where their threat will come from. However, regardless of that, we should pick a strong side and just twat them. Is The Chief still being rested because of his international commitments over the summer? If so, I'd go with this side:

Pepe

Finnan Carra Danny Boy Albert

Yossi Big Mo Xabi Babel

Crouchinho El Nino

I'd really like to see the same defence in order to get into a clean sheets rhythm. After that, it's all about the attack. I've picked the new boys onthe flanks simply because I want to see more of them in the league.

Benayoun? Away to Sunderland?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I bet he does play and all.

PS if he picks that team, I can see us getting beat.

Benayoun? Away to Sunderland?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I bet he does play and all.

PS if he picks that team, I can see us getting beat.

Why? First choice defence and at least one defensive midfielder. As I said, I don't know much about Sunderland, but I'd be very surprised if they've got enough talent to really trouble us. They'll certainly have plenty of spirit, but that won't be enough.

That's not funny, you know.

Is lurch a sub?

I don't think so, but we'd be daft to risk him when CL qualification isn't yet assured.

I'd be more confident of beating Tolouse at home without him than Sunderland away.

Playing Sissoko in games that we reckon "might be a bit physical" is always a disaster. Look at last season's evidence (esp Everton and Bolton).

He's only useful when the opposition deffo aren't "a bit physical" and don't really expect a six foot tall wrecking ball chasing them all over the pitch booting them into the air (cf Barcelona).

I think Sunderland should be taken on with our best, most technically gifted players, not just slightly better versions of their cloggers.

Alonso's no pansy, and Gerrard/ Masher love a scrap anyway.

Plus they'll be well used to playing slow, tall strikers in the Championship. They won't be so used to taking on quicksilver superstars.

Silverlining, Gerrard is being rested mate.

Silverlining, Gerrard is being rested mate.

OK, oh well...

I've never liked the look of Masher and Alonso that much. Bit pedestrian and no goal threat. But then maybe it's because they haven't played together that often, they're both quality so maybe I'm being a bit harsh?

Maybe Lucas?

Maybe not.

I dunno. We really have to batter the likes of Sunderland.

It'll be a tough game, no doubt about that. Keane will have railroaded his team for their abject display against Wigan t'other day. Add to that the atmosphere of the fans up there (they have a good support, whatever your opinion of Sunderland), it'll make for a hard game. It'll be a good indicator of our willingness and ability to fight away from home this one.

I'd go for:

Reina

Finnan Carra Agger Arbeloa (no sense in changing a solid back line)

Pennant Xabi Mascherano Riise

Kuyt Torres

I think the team that played against Chelsea (obviously with the absence of Gerrard) should play this one; they got right under the skin of Chelsea and they proved they can rough it.

I think we'll win, but it'll be a hard fought one. Going for 1-0, and a welcome first prem clean sheet of the season.

Why? First choice defence and at least one defensive midfielder. As I said, I don't know much about Sunderland, but I'd be very surprised if they've got enough talent to really trouble us. They'll certainly have plenty of spirit, but that won't be enough.

We've said that plenty of times against plenty of teams over recent years.

I'd go for:

Reina

Finnan Carra Agger Arbeloa (no sense in changing a solid back line)

Pennant Xabi Mascherano Riise

Kuyt Torres

If Gerrard's out that'd be what I'd go for.

Or maybe try Benayoun as a second striker for a bit more creativity in Gerrard's absence.

I think it will be a tricky game. They just got whacked 3-0 by Wigan, and I suspect they will be a very different proposition at their place.

That said, there really should be no excuse for not getting all three points. We'll need to win the battle first, so I'd put Momo in the middle while Stevie rests his toe. Once it settles down a bit our superior quality should tell. I'd like to see us press on for a second/third assuming the first one goes in. Sunderland are no great shakes at the back (or midfield or up front for that matter). We should be able to score three if we are suitably up for it.

Reina

Finnan Carra Agger Arbeloa

Pennant Alonso Momo Riise

Kuyt Torres

Same team (apart from Stevie). Possibly Babel in place of Riise, since without Stevie in the side I think we could do with a bit more going forward. Babel offers that sort of threat.

I think it will be a tricky game. They just got whacked 3-0 by Wigan, and I suspect they will be a very different proposition at their place.

That said, there really should be no excuse for not getting all three points. We'll need to win the battle first, so I'd put Momo in the middle while Stevie rests his toe. Once it settles down a bit our superior quality should tell. I'd like to see us press on for a second/third assuming the first one goes in. Sunderland are no great shakes at the back (or midfield or up front for that matter). We should be able to score three if we are suitably up for it.

Reina

Finnan Carra Agger Arbeloa

Pennant Alonso Momo Riise

Kuyt Torres

Same team (apart from Stevie). Possibly Babel in place of Riise, since without Stevie in the side I think we could do with a bit more going forward. Babel offers that sort of threat.

I see it as being one of those games where if we get one the flood gates will open due to their confidence being battered.

I really think this will be a four nil-er.

I see it as being one of those games where if we get one the flood gates will open due to their confidence being battered.

I really think this will be a four nil-er.

I'd be very surprised if any Keane side conceded seven goals in two games.

Not because they're great or anything, just that they'd be too scared.

It's not the best time to play them really, they'll be up for it like loonies at The Stadium Of Light.