You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland Vs. Liverpool

Malarkey

I agree that Keane might target him but for me it really depends how good the lad is. The only thing I've seen of him was in Rotterdam and I never form opinions based on friendlies but what I do know is that any combination of Masch, Xabi and Momo offers us no goal threat in the centre of midfield and we should be taking the game to these.

If Gerrard is unable to play and the lad is good enough and you would certainly hope he is then I'd play him with a disciplined player like Masch or Xabi.

do you think we could see a line up like this?:

Reian

Same back line

Pennant - Masch - Riise

Yossi - Torres - Vovo'

Highly doubtful in my opinion, but it's a way to make sure we have enough attacking creativity with Gerrard out.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Playing Sissoko in games that we reckon "might be a bit physical" is always a disaster. Look at last season's evidence (esp Everton and Bolton).

He's only useful when the opposition deffo aren't "a bit physical" and don't really expect a six foot tall wrecking ball chasing them all over the pitch booting them into the air (cf Barcelona).

I think Sunderland should be taken on with our best, most technically gifted players, not just slightly better versions of their cloggers.

Alonso's no pansy, and Gerrard/ Masher love a scrap anyway.

Plus they'll be well used to playing slow, tall strikers in the Championship. They won't be so used to taking on quicksilver superstars.

-----------------------------Reina----------------------------

Finnan--------Carragher------------------Agger-----------Riise

Tennants------Gerrard-------------------Alonso----------Babel

---------------Kuyt---------------------Torres-------------

That is deffo the team I think, sunderland away will be tough and that game against them is as bigf a game as there will be all season, we cant afford to drop points and take them lightly and if we turn them over its more pressure on the scum to beat Spurs. :laugh:

These are the games that Sunderland got promoted for and will always try that extra bit harder against teams like Liverpool.

It will take hard work from all the team on Saturday but if we do approach this game correctly then we should win them.

Player for player we are far stronger and as long as we stay focused and keep our passing to a high standard then this should be 3 points in the bag but you know they are going to chase every ball with the silly fat geordies screaming for every decision.

I would play the strongest eleven available. Not bothered about resting players as they can be brought off once the game is won.

These are the games that Sunderland got promoted for and will always try that extra bit harder against teams like Liverpool.

It will take hard work from all the team on Saturday but if we do approach this game correctly then we should win them.

Player for player we are far stronger and as long as we stay focused and keep our passing to a high standard then this should be 3 points in the bag but you know they are going to chase every ball with the silly fat geordies screaming for every decision.

I would play the strongest eleven available. Not bothered about resting players as they can be brought off once the game is won.

If we dont take 3 points there are absolutely no excuses whatsoever

If we want to win the title this is a must win game

do you think we could see a line up like this?:

Reian

Same back line

Pennant - Masch - Riise

Yossi - Torres - Vovo'

Highly doubtful in my opinion, but it's a way to make sure we have enough attacking creativity with Gerrard out.

I'd be surprised if Rafa went for something like that and I prefer to see us go 4-4-2 to be honest. I'd expect Sunderland to sit deep on us like they did with Spurs and challenge us to break them down.

My only concern is that if our central midfielders aren't getting into the attacking positions then there's the potential for a frustrating match like we suffered on several occasions last season. Having said that in Torres and maybe Babel there are 2 players in other areas who can win a match in an instant that weren't here then.

If Lucas is the hard working attacking midfielder I've read about then I would play him in Gerrard's absence. If he's not or just isn't ready then I I'd go for Xabi and Momo in the middle as at least with Momo he won't sit too deep even if he isn't the most skillful.

As for the wide positions and up front there are now so many 'possibilities' that I can't make my mind up who'd be best to go with.

-------------Pepe------------------

Finnan----Carra---Agger----Arbeloa

Pennant---Javi----Alonso----Babbel

---------Kyut-----Torres----------

Keeper

Sami

Riise

Crouch

Sissoko

I like that, but I reckon it will be Riise instead of Babel.

Depends on how all the lads have come back from international action though.

I'll go with 2-0 to Liverpool and wait until the off team to name a scorer but if it was the team as i predict then value will be with Babbel based on the little we have seen so far

He shoots on sight and has a good dig on him should get decent odds on the double worth a £5 punt to pay for the weekend

If we dont take 3 points there are absolutely no excuses whatsoever

If we want to win the title this is a must win game

Are you going to say that every single time we play away to weaker opposition? You said that loads of time ahead of Villa. Or have you hand picked a selection of teams that we absolutely have to beat? Are there any teams we don't have to beat? If there are, can't we trade off a lack of victory away to Sunderland against, say, a win at Stamford Bridge or Emirates. I need answers.

Are you going to say that every single time we play away to weaker opposition? You said that loads of time ahead of Villa. Or have you hand picked a selection of teams that we absolutely have to beat? Are there any teams we don't have to beat? If there are, can't we trade off a lack of victory away to Sunderland against, say, a win at Stamford Bridge or Emirates. I need answers.

Come on Jim you know the score. Every game is a must win game, and if we want to win the league then we have to beat the Mackams or heads will roll.

Like the mancs, I would imagine they have completely given up on winning the league after losing to Citeh and drawing against Reading.

------------------------------Reina--------------------------------

Finnan-----------Carragher-------------Agger------------------Riise

Pennant---------Gerrard---------------Mascherano------------Babel

-----------------Torres----------------Crouch----------------------

Pennant---------Alonso---------------Mascherano------------Babel

Pennant---------Alonso---------------Mascherano------------Babel