You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A drunken bet.

RJ Fan club

On Friday night I made a bet that I could go veggie for the whole of July.

I decided not to welch on this drunken bet and will go through with it. If I’m gonna do it I may as well do it properly. I'm giving it a trial run today.

The terms are that I can't eat any animal flesh or fish, but can eat dairy and eggs etc.

I know there are a few veggie's on here so any advice on what products to avoid or sneaky non veggie products would be great, e.g. Gelatine in (Jelly, pies etc), Lea and Perrins (apparently has white bait) etc

Also any advice on eating ideas, all I have is marmite on toast, veggie lasagne, veggie curry, egg and chips, and garlic mushroom pizza.

Its going to be a long July and I'm missing bbq season:wallbutt:

My missus is a veggie and here is a recipe she uses the whole time. Its fucking delicious.

Chop up red and green peppers, mushrooms and scallions and put into a pot and boil. Throw in ample chillies and garlic to your tasting. As they become cooked, strain most of the water off leaving about splash in it. Throw in a tin of corn with the juice included. Throw in a packet of uncle bens rice already microwaved for 2 minutes. Then get grated cheese and throw in until mixed to suit yourself. This is simply the greatest meal that is healthy and filling. It is sweet and you always cook loads which means you cna use it again tomorrow. You can add other veg if you require but its up to you. ENJOY!!

• 4 weeks later...
them linda mccarney sausies and burgers taste real, just fill up on them ans the odd salad, money`s in the bank my friend :thumbup:

Yeah I expect I probably will end up eating some of those, but really I want to try other dishes that I wouldn't otherwise even look at.

I don't want to eat food that is fake meat or trying to be a sausage or a rasher of bacon, cos quite frankly there is not an adequate replacement for those things (IMO - sure this opinion will be tested in the next month).

Guest PaddyBerger15

You want to leave the Linda McCartney stuff well alone Ste, it tastes like cardboard with a bit of mush in the middle....across the entire range. The Quorn stuff is much better, and in fact most supermarkets own 'brand' of veggie stuff is much better. ASDA and Tesco both do a real good veggie frozen section and refridged.

As we are now smoke free, I'm doing my best to add to the overall nice atmosphere, and haven't had a ciggy since last night.....not sure how long it will last. Giving up meat is much, much easier.

You want to leave the Linda McCartney stuff well alone Ste, it tastes like cardboard with a bit of mush in the middle....across the entire range. The Quorn stuff is much better, and in fact most supermarkets own 'brand' of veggie stuff is much better. ASDA and Tesco both do a real good veggie frozen section and refridged.

As we are now smoke free, I'm doing my best to add to the overall nice atmosphere, and haven't had a ciggy since last night.....not sure how long it will last. Giving up meat is much, much easier.

Yeah that has always been my impression, I've tried those Cauldron ones before and they don't cut the mustard either. I'm gonna stick to veg rather than tofu or other such things.

No Ciggy since half four yesterday afternoon, I think I might read Alan Carr's book later.

Textured Vegetable Protein, or Textured Soy Protein.

Ideal mincemeat replacement for cottage pies, lasagnes, burgers ect ect ect.

I go through the odd veggie phase (only to be brought back into the meaty fold by bacon sarnies..), and it's amazing how you don't really miss it. Loads of tasty meals you can knock together without a bit of flesh in them