You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard and right midfield

mickeydocs

Gerrard has just had his best season goal scoring wise, and has really developed the attacking side of his game in the season just finished. Furthermore Xabi and Momo are bossing play in cm in a way that we have not seen since Molby was spraying the ball around.

Our top target is Alves, who is equally comfortable at rb as he is at rm.

We all know Rafa likes to have 'possibilities'. The question I'd like to raise is how often will we see Gerrard on the right again next season, and how much of a chance is there that we could see more of the Valencia 4-2-3-1 formation next season with Gerrard at the centre of the 3 attacking mids with Gonzales and Alves (if we sign him) on either side?

Guest TK-421
Gerrard has just had his best season goal scoring wise, and has really developed the attacking side of his game in the season just finished. Furthermore Xabi and Momo are bossing play in cm in a way that we have not seen since Molby was spraying the ball around.

We all know Rafa likes to have 'possibilities'. The question I'd like to raise is how often will we see Gerrard on the right again next season, and how much of a chance is there that we could see more of the Valencia 4-2-3-1 formation next season with Gerrard at the centre of the 3 attacking mids with Gonzales and Alves (if we sign him) on either side?

I think Rafa would ideally like to move Gerrard inside and play 4-2-3-1 as you suggest, although most on here disagree and see Gerrard's role as "free role starting from the right", in a 4-4-2.

I reckon that's why Rafa is unwilling to spend huge amounts on a dedicated right-sided player, if we're gonna stick to 4-4-2 then including such a player would mean sacrificing momo, which you could probably get away with in some home games, but i still wouldn't want to see it, I love that lad.

I do prefer Gerrard in a free-role though coming from the right-side, putting him in centre-mid and asking him to stay there is like taking the wheels off a tank.

Well it’s all about the possibilities. I’m sure we’ll play each of these formations at points next season: 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, maybe even sprinkle a bit of 3-5-2 in there as well. Gerrard will play mainly on the right of the 442, which will be our most used formation I reckon, but also occasionally in the centre. He’ll also play at times as the central and right player behind the striker.

Well it’s all about the possibilities. I’m sure we’ll play each of these formations at points next season: 4-4-2, 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, maybe even sprinkle a bit of 3-5-2 in there as well. Gerrard will play mainly on the right of the 442, which will be our most used formation I reckon, but also occasionally in the centre. He’ll also play at times as the central and right player behind the striker.

One of the areas where Arsenal, Chelsea and United have had an advantage over us is pace in attack, especially from wide areas. Gerrard certainly provides pace, but Gonzales and Alves would seem to have incredible pace. Has anyone seen the clip from the gonzales website where he just leaves his marker for dead? Faster than Djibs and he doesn't knock the ball forward to run onto.

Am I imagining it or did Rafa not say that he could only play that system because of the player/s (Aimar) he had?

I'm sure Gerrard would be excellent in that role. I'd really like to see us line up like that next season as well as play 3 at the back on occasions too.

RM is not Stevie's best position but he scored a lot from there because of his focus on attacking with Xabi and Momo covering. Stevie is not the kind of player to get down to the byline and whip quality crosses in all day long as would benefit Crouch in the middle.

I think Rafa wants 2 proper wide men in Speedy and Alves (although both are also great at cutting inside) while Stevie can still be employed in a mainly attacking role (in Rafa's teams everyone does some defending - apart from Garcia :) but dropping as deep as he likes to spray defence splitting passes, mixing it up with Xabi on occasions and wandering right and left when he feels like it - maybe even swapping with the wingers for a few minutes to confuse defenders.

If we buy Alves then 4231 will be our strongest formation, but I expect we will also play 442 on occasion against weaker sides and in the premiership - Bellamy and Crouch will complement each other very well in that formation too. Clearly Rafa wants to play both of these formations at different times and so we do need a proper RW.

Furthermore Xabi and Momo are bossing play in cm in a way that we have not seen since Molby was spraying the ball around.

Steady on a bit. I think if that was the case, we might have got more than 4 points out of 18 against our main title rivals, don't you?

With a proper right-sided midfielder we might do just that; for me, it's certainly a better option than wasting the world's best central midfielder out on the wing.

Steady on a bit. I think if that was the case, we might have got more than 4 points out of 18 against our main title rivals, don't you?

With a proper right-sided midfielder we might do just that; for me, it's certainly a better option than wasting the world's best central midfielder out on the wing.

Good point, although I guess we should've/could've had alot more points against those clubs. Momo was missing against the Arse at Highbury, and wasn't risked against United at Anfield. Not sure if he played in the 4-1 loss to the chavs.

As good as Gerrard was on the right last year, we sometimes looked a bit predictable and struggled for the breakthrough in really tight games. We dominated against the Mancs at Old Trafford and despite how poor we were up front, we didn't actually create a great deal despite having about 70% of the posession. Other games like the one at Stamford Bridge and away to Benfica could have ended differently if we had that threat on the wings that we're looking to get. Gerrard can undoubtedly play there, but I'd like us to have another ace up our sleeves to turn the screw in games like that one at OT. I also think that Gerrard would score even more goals from the middle.

even against the hammers we looked like we lacked a cutting edge from the wings, in fact a lack of pace was very evident.

I like the idea of Stevie in the centre with Alves and Speedy on either side of him, supported by Xabi's range of passing and Momo's bouncer routine (thou shalt not pass).

We'll also have a shed load of free kick options next year, on top of Stevie, Xabi and JAR.

I'll beg to differ. In my eyes Gerrard is best from either the right or left side of midfield. The reason being Gerrard can push out of a crowded midfield, to a position glued onto the sideline, if the opponent choose to crowd the middle of the field, and if the choose to push people wide, he has the speed and skills to push through the middle of the field. I believe gerrard will cause even more problems next year, not due to whom we buy/have bought, but due to him being taught more about this kind of role from Rafa. I hope we'll see Gerrard lining up a lot on the right/left of midfield next season as well. As long as we have such a good couple (Momo and Xabi) in the middle of the park, Gerrard will have a much freer role, being played on the left/right side of the midfield.

One thing looking at last years line up, it was evident that Finnan was told to overlap, to allow for some width, when Gerrard was pulling the left midfielder/left back with him into the middle and Finnan would then be able to go on the outside and whip in a cross. I think one of the reasons why we're looking at a speedy right sided man, is so Gerrard can go even more inside if he so chooses and the speedy right back can take on the left back and beat him on speed.

In my opinion, the best football I've ever seen from Gerrard was last season when he was in his free role from the right. Having said that, it's absolutely clear that Rafa understands how to get the very best out of him and I wouldn't be surprised to see him moving inside with the two wingers on the pitch.

However, the one thing I'm certain of is that Gerrard is at his best when he is relieved of tactical and defensive discipline. Forget all this "He can do anything" shite - it's the sort of faulty thinking that led to The Swede fucking up England's WC "assault". Gerrard is an attacking player and, when properly unleashed, he is almost unplayable for opponents. Rafa knows.

------------Reina-----------------

Finnan--Carra--Hyypia--Riise/Aurelio

--------Sissoko--Alonso-----------

Alves-------Gerrard-------Gonzalez

--------Crouch/Bellamy------------

This looks very strong to me, if this is to be Benitez's preffered formation as it was with Valencaia we would create loads of chances (i know we doanyway) but we would rely on goals from midfield a hell of a lot, i dont know about Alves scoring record but i have seen a few good strikes from Gonzalez.

the obvious alternative if we dont sign Alves or another right sided player is to move Gerrard onto the right and put Kewell or Garcia in the middle.

The deffence will be just as good as last season if not better.

All in all an exciting prospect (or a waste of my time and we will play 442) ha ha - who knows

RAFA KNOWS!!!!!!

The best I've seen Gerrard play was in Houllier's last season. I haven't seen him match that level of play with anywhere near the same consistancy since then. He is without doubt better off in the middle, where he will not only have more freedom with Xabi and Momo behind him, but have players with pace beside him able to play on the same wavelength and keep up with his barnstorming runs forward. Because often when he does that he is on his own, with only Crouch near him because no one has the pace or mindset to go with him. He can also recieve the ball in better postions on counters when we have the two flankers plus possibly Bellamy bringing the ball into our final third with pace, catching the opposition with few defenders leaving a lot of space to work with.

I think we will benifit greatly from having multiple players with the technical ability to play the one-two's that break open a team more than anything. Last season often when we tried to do it it broke down because inevitably one player in the chain didn't have the technical ability to keep it going. Gonzalez, Bellamy, Aurelio all have elite technical ability. If we brought in Alves he would fall into the category too.

I think thats why Rafa has gone out and signed wide players (or is in the process of buying another-Alves); Gerrard, although he had his best season goalscoring wise last campaign, is far better driving the team from the middle. Of course the Sissoko/Alonso partnership in the middle was outstanding at times last season, so it does present a selection problem- but its exactly the kind of 'problem' Benitez wants: more top quality players for every position.

I think we'll find that for the majority of away games, the selection will be Gerrard on the right with Momo and Xabi in the middle, but for home games, two wingers will be deployed and Gerrard will revert to the middle.

Possibitlies as they say,

I reckon you'll see at least two very different teams next season one away from home and one at home and maybe a third team for tough CL games.

Gerrard will play CM, RM and second striker next season and at anfield I see him playing with Xabi in the centre with Gonzalez left and a new RW right with two strikers, obviously you couldnt play such an attacking formation away to Chelsea.

Possibitlies as they say,

I reckon you'll see at least two very different teams next season one away from home and one at home and maybe a third team for tough CL games.

Gerrard will play CM, RM and second striker next season and at anfield I see him playing with Xabi in the centre with Gonzalez left and a new RW right with two strikers, obviously you couldnt play such an attacking formation away to Chelsea.

Nick, you said that last summer and the one before. Are you going for third time lucky?

Nick, you said that last summer and the one before. Are you going for third time lucky?

Rafa now has the squad to do it

unfortunately last year the team almost picked itseld which wont be the case this season. Last season the only debate was who partnered Crouch, Next season Crouch wont play nearly as many games IMO