You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Selling the fanzine outside the Kop....

dave u

Some of you will already know this, but for those of you that don't, from now on I won't be in my usual spot outside the Kop on matchdays. My dad won't be in his usual spot either, so if you normally buy the mag from us you'll have to find us wherever we end up.

The reason for this is the club/police have said no-one can sell outside the Kop, whether it be flag/scarf sellers, those shitty wristband vendors, or any fanzines.

The reason? Well it's a bit unclear, as there are differing views coming out, but all I can go on is the reason I was given by the head copper when he moved me before the Newcastle game.

Apparently, by standing against the Kop wall with a bag on my shoulder, I (and also my dad, and the TTW&R and RAOTL guys) am causing such an obstruction that people are having to move off the pavement and onto the road to avoid the congestion I cause. He said this with a straight face, even though I was stood in a clear space with no-one around me and a clear pavement in front of me.

I was not, and never have, caused any congestion by standing there. I wish there was a mass of people waiting in line to buy the fanzine, but those of you who have stood chatting with me before the game (there's quite a few of you on here) will know that isn't the case.

But I bit my tongue and accepted his decision, as well as the incredibly condescending way he spoke to me, and more importantly, the way he spoke to my dad. I knew he wanted to provoke me into giving him some shit, but I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction. So I said nothing, and walked away.

I went to the other side of the road (next to the Park pub), and watched as two fellas went to stand in my spot whilst eating their chips and chatting. They took up more room than me, but the police didn't mind.

I looked a few yards further up, and there is a tout surrounded by about five fellas wanting to buy tickets. People had to walk on the road to get around them.

Again, the police were unconcerned by that.

So I look further along the Kop, and the queue for Liverworld was so big that the pavement was completely blocked, forcing people to walk in the road. Again, that was fine, just so long as the fanzine sellers weren't there.

So I'm stood on a pavement about a quarter of the width of the one outside the Kop, and now I am causing a bit of an obstruction. The RAOTL seller who had been moved went and stood outside the Albert, and he too was then causing an obstruction whereas he had never done that in his original spot.

Basically, it's a fucking joke and a bullshit reason for moving us. I'm also pretty sure that legally they have no right to do it, but I'm also clued up enough to know that there's absolutely no fucking sense in pointing that out to the police, as it will just piss them off and won't do me any favours.

There's nothing stopping them from throwing me in the van and taking me to the station, forcing me to miss the match and lose a day's sales. So I (as well as John Pearman and Steve Kelly) just have to take it.

I did hope that things would be back to normal yesterday, but they weren't. I only had a few issue 50's left, so I never bothered going to my spot. RAOTL were moved on from outside the Kop though, and John Pearman apparently spoke to Ged Poynton and Inspector Swift (the charming man who moved me and my dad on before Newcastle) and it seems it's going to be a permanent deal.

So now the question is what do I do? I've still got the spot on the Main Stand/Kop gates where my cousin Al normally sells, and John G (and occasionally DT) sells on Anny Road. Me and me dad are now homeless though!

The main problem is that my spot is the biggest earner, and my dad's is the second biggest. This is generally because people know we are there, having been selling there for six years now.

I now have to cope with that loss of sales, which will definitely cost me in the short term. I'll probably have to print less, or find other ways of shifting them.

I did consider getting onto Rick Parry about it, but don't see much point. (the players are still waiting for their mini replica trophies incidentally)

I'm not sure when I'm gonna bring the next issue out, because this uncertainty over where we can sell it is giving me a big problem. I have to pay the printer, regardless of how many I sell, and we only have night games coming up this month (which are always shit for sales anyway).

Basically, I need a couple of good Saturday games to raise the money to pay for the printing/postage. Two night games, where I don't have my two best selling spots will make it very tough to get the cash to pay for that, so I'm leaning towards postponing the next issue until the City game on Feb 25.

The alternative is to print less, but then I don't particularly want to do that either as I suspect it's probably more or less the same people buying each issue, and I don't want them to miss out.

In short, it's a fucking major pain in the arse, I'm really livid about it, but there's fuck all I can do. I suspect the police are enforcing the club's wishes, but I don't know that for sure. My gut feeling is the club are hiding behind the police.

What is really galling is that John Pearman asked a copper he knows why the police don't move the touts on, as they cause more obstruction than anyone. The reply was that the club aren't bothered about the touts, but they want rid of the flag sellers, and the wristband sellers. We're apparently just getting caught in the same net.

Basically, it stinks and now I need to find a new spot to sell where people will be able to find me easily enough.

I'll keep you posted on here as to how it will effect the release date for issue 51.

Anyone wanting to write something for that issue should still do so and get it to me asap, as I'm still probably gonna bring it out for Birmingham on Feb 1, but we'll see.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

Have you considered selling TLW in a shop in London. I used to buy Liverpool fanzines in a shop on Charing Cross years ago. I can't remember the name of the shop but I can drop by if you like and check it out, get contact details.

Basically its a sports book shop and from what i can remember a few sides have fanzines being sold out of there. let me know and good luck with it.

Dave,

Have you considered selling TLW in a shop in London. I used to buy Liverpool fanzines in a shop on Charing Cross years ago. I can't remember the name of the shop but I can drop by if you like and check it out, get contact details.

Basically its a sports book shop and from what i can remember a few sides have fanzines being sold out of there. let me know and good luck with it.

It was called Sportspages, and I sold TLW in there for a couple of years. It used to take ages to get paid by them though, and in the end I fucked it off. I think they have new owners now, not sure though. Next time you go by there, have a look at what it's called these days and let me know. Might be worth getting back in there.

Sportspages got closed I think when it went bust, causing a few Man Utd fanzines a lot of grief because they were owed a fair bit of cash. That's the story I've heard anyway.

Surely though, this is something that could be raised at the AGM (whenever that's going to be) and I'd certainly have no qualms about asking Rick Parry why this is being allowed to go on.

I wondered why you were standing where the kop and kemlyn meet.

I thought Parry actually read the fanzines? Is it an attemp to boost the official programme sales? I've not a bought a programme in about a decade.

Why aren't they moving the touts? bloody twats.

where you used to stand was one of the clearest parts of that stretch, the pavement is always mobbed by the chippies, the albert and liverworld

That's a disgrace and the most ridiculous reason I've ever heard.

Based on their reasoning nobody should be allowed to even walk down the streets.

Why enforce this now after so many years? I can understand them being pissed off at the merchandise sellers as they directly compete with the clubshop - but they always have done and perhaps if they want more money being spent in the clubshop they should start selling some decent stuff at decent prices.

Fanzines though are totally different to the programme and I know a lot of people (Including myself) who buy both, and compared to the number of fanzines sold v programmes I doubt they cost the club that much money.

This has really pissed me off. I know its happened before on the odd occasion but I really think there are more important issues which need dealing with rather than shitting on the supporters who are trying to make an honest living. I'd like to think this is just the police showing yet again that they can be complete arseholes, but I wouldn't put it past the club doing this sort of thing.

Some of you will already know this, but for those of you that don't, from now on I won't be in my usual spot outside the Kop on matchdays. My dad won't be in his usual spot either, so if you normally buy the mag from us you'll have to find us wherever we end up.

The reason for this is the club/police have said no-one can sell outside the Kop, whether it be flag/scarf sellers, those shitty wristband vendors, or any fanzines.

The reason? Well it's a bit unclear, as there are differing views coming out, but all I can go on is the reason I was given by the head copper when he moved me before the Newcastle game.

Apparently, by standing against the Kop wall with a bag on my shoulder, I (and also my dad, and the TTW&R and RAOTL guys) am causing such an obstruction that people are having to move off the pavement and onto the road to avoid the congestion I cause. He said this with a straight face, even though I was stood in a clear space with no-one around me and a clear pavement in front of me.

I was not, and never have, caused any congestion by standing there. I wish there was a mass of people waiting in line to buy the fanzine, but those of you who have stood chatting with me before the game (there's quite a few of you on here) will know that isn't the case.

But I bit my tongue and accepted his decision, as well as the incredibly condescending way he spoke to me, and more importantly, the way he spoke to my dad. I knew he wanted to provoke me into giving him some shit, but I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction. So I said nothing, and walked away.

I went to the other side of the road (next to the Park pub), and watched as two fellas went to stand in my spot whilst eating their chips and chatting. They took up more room than me, but the police didn't mind.

I looked a few yards further up, and there is a tout surrounded by about five fellas wanting to buy tickets. People had to walk on the road to get around them.

Again, the police were unconcerned by that.

So I look further along the Kop, and the queue for Liverworld was so big that the pavement was completely blocked, forcing people to walk in the road. Again, that was fine, just so long as the fanzine sellers weren't there.

So I'm stood on a pavement about a quarter of the width of the one outside the Kop, and now I am causing a bit of an obstruction. The RAOTL seller who had been moved went and stood outside the Albert, and he too was then causing an obstruction whereas he had never done that in his original spot.

Basically, it's a fucking joke and a bullshit reason for moving us. I'm also pretty sure that legally they have no right to do it, but I'm also clued up enough to know that there's absolutely no fucking sense in pointing that out to the police, as it will just piss them off and won't do me any favours.

There's nothing stopping them from throwing me in the van and taking me to the station, forcing me to miss the match and lose a day's sales. So I (as well as John Pearman and Steve Kelly) just have to take it.

I did hope that things would be back to normal yesterday, but they weren't. I only had a few issue 50's left, so I never bothered going to my spot. RAOTL were moved on from outside the Kop though, and John Pearman apparently spoke to Ged Poynton and Inspector Swift (the charming man who moved me and my dad on before Newcastle) and it seems it's going to be a permanent deal.

So now the question is what do I do? I've still got the spot on the Main Stand/Kop gates where my cousin Al normally sells, and John G (and occasionally DT) sells on Anny Road. Me and me dad are now homeless though!

The main problem is that my spot is the biggest earner, and my dad's is the second biggest. This is generally because people know we are there, having been selling there for six years now.

I now have to cope with that loss of sales, which will definitely cost me in the short term. I'll probably have to print less, or find other ways of shifting them.

I did consider getting onto Rick Parry about it, but don't see much point. (the players are still waiting for their mini replica trophies incidentally)

I'm not sure when I'm gonna bring the next issue out, because this uncertainty over where we can sell it is giving me a big problem. I have to pay the printer, regardless of how many I sell, and we only have night games coming up this month (which are always shit for sales anyway).

Basically, I need a couple of good Saturday games to raise the money to pay for the printing/postage. Two night games, where I don't have my two best selling spots will make it very tough to get the cash to pay for that, so I'm leaning towards postponing the next issue until the City game on Feb 25.

The alternative is to print less, but then I don't particularly want to do that either as I suspect it's probably more or less the same people buying each issue, and I don't want them to miss out.

In short, it's a fucking major pain in the arse, I'm really livid about it, but there's fuck all I can do. I suspect the police are enforcing the club's wishes, but I don't know that for sure. My gut feeling is the club are hiding behind the police.

What is really galling is that John Pearman asked a copper he knows why the police don't move the touts on, as they cause more obstruction than anyone. The reply was that the club aren't bothered about the touts, but they want rid of the flag sellers, and the wristband sellers. We're apparently just getting caught in the same net.

Basically, it stinks and now I need to find a new spot to sell where people will be able to find me easily enough.

I'll keep you posted on here as to how it will effect the release date for issue 51.

Anyone wanting to write something for that issue should still do so and get it to me asap, as I'm still probably gonna bring it out for Birmingham on Feb 1, but we'll see.

The queue for Liverworld on matchdays is the biggest obstruction to the pavement. The way you and the other sellers have been moved on is just bollocks.. but then you arent making money for the club are you? (though why they arent bothered about the touts is a disgrace). I'm well pissed off, I always went to your dad's spot, when i was buying the fanzine at the game. I think the last time I tried, he wasnt there, and as i was looking around I got the "come on, move now lad" from an ever so friendly plod.

Guest Gazmo25

Can't belief that Dave. Ridiculous. I normally get mine by the Main Sand gates but whenever I have bought it by the front of the Kop there has never been any conjestion or hassle.

Out of interest as well Dave, I know they you sell TLW at WHSmiths in Liverpool but are they the only ones you can sell them in? Only reason I ask is that I work in Warrington and the WHSmiths in Warrington Golden Square does sell fanzines. Have seen Red Issue and King of The Kippax in there before now. There are a lot of Liverpool fans in Warrington and it may be something to consider.

I'm obviously not aware of what you have to do to get the fanzine sold in Smiths but it is worth considering.

Out of interest as well Dave, I know they you sell TLW at WHSmiths in Liverpool but are they the only ones you can sell them in? Only reason I ask is that I work in Warrington and the WHSmiths in Warrington Golden Square does sell fanzines.

I used to sell it in there, but they'd only sell around 20-25 each issue, which when ou take off their 25% plus my travelling costs to get there and deliver the, it wasn't really worth it so I stopped selling it there.

Yeah I've still got about 30 or so left thanks to Ged Poynton and his police chums.

the same Ged Poynton who always patronises us re: sitting down at the match .... Funny, two of the biggest Euro nights of recent years (Barca semi 2001, and Chelsea semi last year), when the WHOLE ground stood, I cant honestly remember any requests to sit down, or patronising from Ged afterwards... was that because of the atmosphere created??? Sorry this has gone off topic, but was just commenting about Ged "not a football man" Poynton.

Guest FarmersBoy

I think that Dave was probably on the money when he said that the club was trying to move the wrist-band sellers and flag sellers on, and that him and SK and JP have been caught up in it.

Shades of the Arsenal v Reed court case here, I'd say, where Arsenal sued Matthew Reed for selling scarfs because they infringed the Arsenal Trademark registration (funny thing was that the High Court Judge, Laddie J who heard the case was an Arsenal fan and came up with some bullshit reason to find in favour of Reed - short-lived joy, as the Court of Appeal overturned it). Anyway, this is where Liverpool being different comes into play. They know it would be a PR disaster to sue any of those people, because they're no different to the rest of the fans. So they're taking an 'alternative' approach.

Sounds as though if they allow you then it's more difficult to get shot of the other 'undesirables'.

Time to go and have a look at the law books, somebody.

Just to add something, Ged Poynton is an Everton supporter as are his entire family...

Also, I find the way the club talk about flares hugely ironic. We see posters telling us how dangerous they are and how anyone caught with one will be banned from Anfield for life. Parry has written reminders in the programme, magazine and website aswell. Yet if you go in the club shop there is a photo montage from Istanbul and one of the pics is of a fan holding aloft a flare in the stadium! And this is an official product! If thats not endorsing the use of flares and the effect they have on the atmosphere I don't know what is.

Just to add something, Ged Poynton is an Everton supporter as are his entire family...

Also, I find the way the club talk about flares hugely ironic. We see posters telling us how dangerous they are and how anyone caught with one will be banned from Anfield for life. Parry has written reminders in the programme, magazine and website aswell. Yet if you go in the club shop there is a photo montage from Istanbul and one of the pics is of a fan holding aloft a flare in the stadium! And this is an official product! If thats not endorsing the use of flares and the effect they have on the atmosphere I don't know what is.

I thought he wasnt a football fan, then i read the above, which confirms it (haha). He certainly always looks miserable enough to be a bloo