You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A need for a goalscorer

Rashid

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Del Piero doesn't play as regularly anymore and he also goes wide a lot. Last time I saw Juve they had erm, that big, lanky streak of piss, as you would put it, Zlatan up front with Trezeguet. Zlatan rules!

Zlatan does rule! He is a rich mans Crouch - AGREED!!

However, Del Piero is playign really well this season too.

Oh dear, you were doing so well, why manipulate the facts to back up your argument?

Lampard, Kaka, Ballack - all attacking midfielders if you hadn't noticed. You might as well have put Gerrard on the list for Keith's sake.

And we're not discussing Europe, we were talking about the physical presence needed in the premiership. And I think Arsenal's away form more than rules them out as a role model.

So basically of your list I'm giving you Rooney.

The last time Arsenal dominated this league was when Bergkamp was not past it but playing well. Rooney does that role pretty well for United now.. and before him Cantona.... neither of these teams had problems retaining possession high up the pitch....

TORRES IS AVAILABLE AS IS GALLETI

Reds eye fresh Galletti talks

By Graeme Bailey - Created on 24 Jan 2006

The Reds have been tracking Galletti for a number of weeks and have been considering a number of options for their problematic right midfield role.

Steven Gerrard has been filling the void to great effect in recent weeks - but the England star is unlikely to accept that as a long-term solution.

With that in mind, numerous targets have been checked, but so far none have resulted in anything positive - so now Rafa Benitez is reported to be back on the trail of Galletti.

Atletico are not willing to let Galletti leave on loan, but could be prepared to let him leave for a bid near £5 million.

The player himself is eager to seal a World Cup place with Argentina, but his failure to secure a regular first team berth with Atletico will not have enhanced his claims, so a move to Liverpool could appeal.

Atletico are thought to be keen on bolstering their economic situation and president Enrique Cerezo admits he will listen to offers for any of his players - including star man Fernando Torres, who was wanted by Chelsea last year.

"As president and club administrator, I am obliged to listen to offers for Fernando Torres just like for any other player of our club," club president Enrique Cerezo said.

"You study the offer and then you see what happens.

"We are not a club that sells and we have no intention of selling Torres for the sake of it.

"Fernando has a contract with Atletico and there's nothing that stops him from completing it."

Rashid in the Premiership IMO Owen and Crouch would be a more effective strike partnership than Owen and Aimar for instance.

Probably, maybe. Would you say Crouch and Owen would be more successful than Nistellroy and Rooney, or Cantona and Cole? Or Bergkamp and Henry?

Probably, maybe. Would you say Crouch and Owen would be more successful than Nistellroy and Rooney, or Cantona and Cole? Or Bergkamp and Henry?

No they wouldn't IMO. But if we had the money for any combinations of the calibre you mention then we would need MAJOR investment to fund it.

Also as I said in my earlier post to play the split striker system effectively you need a very complete striker upfront - there are very few of these around and they tend to be very expensive.

No they wouldn't IMO. But if we had the money for any combinations of the calibre you mention then we would need MAJOR investment to fund it.

Lets hope we win the something soon, maybe winning the Champions League would give us the funds? Hang on....

Agree with your main point though, to have a split sriker system you need a world class centre forward who can do the lot.

The last time Arsenal dominated this league was when Bergkamp was not past it but playing well. Rooney does that role pretty well for United now.. and before him Cantona.... neither of these teams had problems retaining possession high up the pitch....

Well why didn't you use those examples previously then?

Anyhoo, Cantona is ancient history so I'm not counting him. And Arsenal were/are a counter attacking team at their best. I'm not saying they weren't a great team who played great football, but it's a different style than that which Rafa wants us to have - controlling the possession, pressing high up the pitch.

Back to just Rooney then, and I'd say Man U do have problems retaining the ball high up the pitch, the only real threat they had on saturday was Rooney picking it up in his own half and trying to take on our entire team.

Lets hope we win the something soon, maybe winning the Champions League would give us the funds? Hang on....

Agree with your main point though, to have a split sriker system you need a world class centre forward who can do the lot.

Rash yes we won the CL but a lot of that helped balance the books as we got stung badly through getting rid of Ged and his staff etc.

I have no doubt if we won it this year we would see a much more noticeable increase in our transfer funds.

Well why didn't you use those examples previously then?

Anyhoo, Cantona is ancient history so I'm not counting him. And Arsenal were/are a counter attacking team at their best. I'm not saying they weren't a great team who played great football, but it's a different style than that which Rafa wants us to have - controlling the possession, pressing high up the pitch.

Back to just Rooney then, and I'd say Man U do have problems retaining the ball high up the pitch, the only real threat they had on saturday was Rooney picking it up in his own half and trying to take on our entire team.

Agree with most of what you have been saying but I think the Rooney thing was more due to their midfield being poo than any inability from him And Van Horseface to be able to hold the ball up.

To be honest, I think you're vastly overestimating the amount we got for winning the Champions League. I don't know the figures, I'd have to ask Tim, but I hardly think it meant we could have afforded (as an example) Torres. What it will do, though, is increase the yearly revenue from things such as shirt sale, website subscriptions etc.

On the matter of the 'link striker', what is all the fuss about? I'd love to take a punt on someone like Diego at Porto, but that's not how Rafa's building the team, and it's not a priority at the moment. For what it's worth, WHEN we get that right winger (And the right winger Rafa wants), whenever that may be, I reckon we'll see Garcia as a second striker in quite a few games.

morientes plays behind crouch, he's acting as the link man in the majority of instances. owen can't play nearly as effectively in that way. crouch/owen would get goals, but it would also make us more direct, and lessen the influence of our midfield. aimar/crouch would make us a better 'team' imo.

morientes plays behind crouch, he's acting as the link man in the majority of instances. owen can't play nearly as effectively in that way. crouch/owen would get goals, but it would also make us more direct, and lessen the influence of our midfield. aimar/crouch would make us a better 'team' imo.

Said this before and I will say it again how would subsituting Cisse for owen in the Man u game have changed our syle of play. If we can play cisse then we can play with owen. It is the OPTIONS rafa wants against some teams ie wigan a direct pacy attack is the way to go maybe against chelsea we would need a different option. My argument is about the quality of the option avaiable. Cisse for me and many others is not working

Think having a pacy front man would be a great help for our midfield as opposing defences tend to drop deeper to compensate, also it would provide better passing options.

I think Crouch and Owen would be preferable as Aimar and Crouch would struggle for goals IMO.

We need a lethal weapon up front Jan 24 2006

By Ian Rush, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ won't need to watch a re-run of the defeat to Manchester United to know where his side came unstuck.

There's still a vacancy in his squad for a lethal finisher. Until the Reds find one, there's always a danger they'll suffer in fixtures such as this.

When you go to Old Trafford, you know chances are going to be few and far between. That's where true quality shows.

Unfortunately, Liverpool squandered opportunities which came their way.

It's not particularly pleasant to point the finger at individuals in such circumstances because no-one deliberately tries to miss a chance.

But there are times when you just have to acknowledge the class didn't show when it mattered in front of goal.

Benitez won't be surprised by this, of course.

We all know he tried to sign Michael Owen in the summer, and no strikers have arrived since then.

There's no question Liverpool still look short in this area. Against lesser sides, it may not appear so apparent.

But in the toughest venues against the best defenders, you simply can't afford to carry anyone.

I suspect it's too late in the month for anyone to join for the rest of the season.

In fact, one of the more natural finishers has temporarily left the club to improve his fitness.

Neil Mellor is the kind of poacher who'll always pop up with a goal and it's a shame he's been out for so long.

I worked with Mellor when I was at Liverpool. Appearances are deceptive with him because of his style of play, but I'll bet he'll score plenty for Wigan between now and May.

Despite the defeat to United, Liverpool remain in contention for the runners-up spot.

But if they're to close the gap to Chelsea before the start of next season, a goalscorer must be at the top of the recruitment list.

Don't know what the big debate is about.We clearly need a better finisher to play alongside Crouch.

The best available at a realistic price is Owen in the summer.

He may have fucked us about but he's never been disrespectful to the club - so if he can improve the team on reasonable terms,buy him.If you expect loyalty from a footballer these days you're going to be disappointed.

I don't think Shearer will get it this time but I reckon Owen would come anyway.It's not likely he'll see much CL football at Newcastle in the near future.

I would have agreed a week or so ago with Fat Sam or Curbishly on his way there. I think they may now have ne eye on Svens job so I don't know who will replace Souness or who would want to. Except Shearer

I would have agreed a week or so ago with Fat Sam or Curbishly on his way there. I think they may now have ne eye on Svens job so I don't know who will replace Souness or who would want to. Except Shearer

I reckon Souness will be kept on until the summer - if he can just put a few results together (maybe that's a big if).

Curbishley to England,Sam to Newcastle is my guess.

Don't know what the big debate is about.We clearly need a better finisher to play alongside Crouch.

The best available at a realistic price is Owen in the summer.

He may have fucked us about but he's never been disrespectful to the club - so if he can improve the team on reasonable terms,buy him.If you expect loyalty from a footballer these days you're going to be disappointed.

Well we had a little side debate about a link man, and I'm not sure Owen is the man for the job personally. I don't think he offers enough outside of the box these days.