You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Westerveld: Slot is the perfect fit for Liverpool

TLW

image.jpeg

Sander Westerveld believes Arne Slot will not be overawed by the challenge of following the footsteps of Jurgen Klopp.

The former Reds goalkeeper who made 75 appearances in a two and a bit season stint at the club is close friends with the man who has been identified as the next manager.

Westerveld and Slot played a season together at Sparta Rotterdam in the 2007/8  campaign and speaking to The Telegraph (per the Echo)  he believed  the 45 year- old had the ability to be a top-line manager.

“When I played with Arne at Sparta, you could see that he would become. He was a leader, a No10 midfielder and someone who would change tactics by himself.

“I spoke to him this morning and he just said it is not a secret that Liverpool wants him but that he could not say anything. I hope it will happen."

image.jpeg

The member of the 2001 treble winning squad said that the ability of Slot to work within a budget means that he would be well suited to the financial model implemented by Liverpool!

“The job he has done at Feyenoord makes him the perfect fit for Liverpool… When he signed for Feyenoord they sold the best player, Steven Berghuis, to Ajax and they didn’t have lots of money to spend.

Everyone said it would be difficult, but Arne said: “No, no, I will make this happen.” A year later he became the champion of Holland with this team and that is why I think there are similarities with Liverpool.

image.jpeg

“Liverpool have a lot of potential in the squad, and we don’t have the money that Manchester City have to spend, so I think he will get all the potential out of the players.”

Westerveld said another benefit is the way that Slot looks to plqy his Football.

“He plays in the same style as Jurgen Klopp: sexy football, forward pressing and the percentage of ball recoveries in the opposition half is the highest in Holland. When he loses the ball, he wants the ball back in three seconds.

But while Klopp brought success to Liverpool on the pitch, what truly made him special was his ability to strike up relationships with his players and just as importantly the fanbase.

Westerveld believes that Slot carries a similar trait.

“His personality is perfect for Liverpool. He is a good fit because he is not only the manager of a team, he can manage a club and the fans.

“He is an intelligent guy, he is a good analyst and when you see his press conferences, he speaks good English and is very respectful.

“You will not see Arne being like Erik ten Hag was in his recent press conference. He is a respectful guy like Pep Guardiola and he is an ambassador for the club.

“You need to be a special coach to coach a special club and I think Arne is that.”

View full article