You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dolly Parton, Astonishing Human.

30 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I think they're both shite but I can understand why people listen to older stuff, even stuff that was considered fairly mediocre (by some) at the time. Both Abba and Dolly Parton also benefit from being marketed much better than some of their contempories. Parton is sound and has big tits. Abba...no, no fucking idea.

But you turn on the radio now and are greated by Trap or Reggaeton so it's hardly surprising when some young people listen to a middle of the road country/rock/whatever song and are amazed to hear someone singing, or playing a chord.

I guess, also, technology changed things a bit. And since music industry finally managed to eat itself  people realized that it appears it was actually needed, at least in some form. Same would have happened with books if easy self-publishing became the norm and shifted the power dynamics, as in beware of what you wish for. Fortunately, it didn't.

But, that is all a different conversation.

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

I (still) listen to a lot of country. Never cared for Dolly Parton. In recent years she has for some reason been promoted from a joke to an acceptable face of what you are supposed to hate, country and rednecks.

BTW, what great songs has she written, except those three everyone now seems to (or is supposed to) think are great?

On Abba, please. Winner takes it all, loser standing small.

EDIT :Sorry replying to wrong post - this refers to the comment on the ABBA song - in the case of that particular song, you could argue it’s quite country in its outlook in that it was written by one half of a real life divorcing couple and sung by the other half.  Looked at in that context, it’s actually quite powerful.  

Edited by stringvest

36 minutes ago, stringvest said:

EDIT :Sorry replying to wrong post - this refers to the comment on the ABBA song - in the case of that particular song, you could argue it’s quite country in its outlook in that it was written by one half of a real life divorcing couple and sung by the other half.  Looked at in that context, it’s actually quite powerful.  

I'm sure there is a great story behind Chiguitita which also makes it quite powerful. Or Waterloo, with it's history book on the shelf always repeating itself poignant message.

I can attest to the fact that no one here has ever thought Dolly Parton was a joke.

She is from the hills, she can't be a redneck.

Kid Rock did more for rednecks - and did it as a joke. Now he is a joke but that is another conversation.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

I (still) listen to a lot of country. Never cared for Dolly Parton. In recent years she has for some reason been promoted from a joke to an acceptable face of what you are supposed to hate, country and rednecks.

BTW, what great songs has she written, except those three everyone now seems to (or is supposed to) think are great?

On Abba, please. Winner takes it all, loser standing small.

The Bridge is a stark and direct tale of suicide, written when such things weren't spoken about.

There's a good argument that 9 to 5 is the greatest protest song ever written.

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The Bridge is a stark and direct tale of suicide, written when such things weren't spoken about.

There's a good argument that 9 to 5 is the greatest protest song ever written.

There is probably a good argument that it isn't.

Dolly also wrote a song the she gave away free of charge to one of her friends that fell on hard times. Can't remember who it was or what song but it was another classic that made the chap a fortune. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

It is a tremendous tune nonetheless.

As Billy Bragg pointed out, for any protest song the song is at least as important as the protest.

The intro hooks absolutely anyone with ears and a pulse.  The lyrics then catch millions of people who find themselves in the situation of working in shitty dead-end jobs for creepy exploitative men.  And it gave a massive boost to a movement for the rights of working women.

There aren't many protest songs you can say that about.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

As Billy Bragg pointed out, for any protest song the song is at least as important as the protest.

The intro hooks absolutely anyone with ears and a pulse.  The lyrics then catch millions of people who find themselves in the situation of working in shitty dead-end jobs for creepy exploitative men.  And it gave a massive boost to a movement for the rights of working women.

There aren't many protest songs you can say that about.

After Go On Home British Soldiers I’d have to agree I think. 

On 21/04/2024 at 21:16, chrisbonnie said:

I challenge anyone to find a better looking woman than that, past or present. 

She’s a great looking woman but don’t be bloody ridiculous 

7 hours ago, SasaS said:

I'm sure there is a great story behind Chiguitita which also makes it quite powerful. Or Waterloo, with it's history book on the shelf always repeating itself poignant message.

If yer like, like

11 hours ago, SasaS said:

I think they are great lyrics to describe a real life separation that is far from a rare experience. The melody is brilliant too. You are always welcome to go one better?

6 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

He doesn’t like her because she’s not a cunt. 

What was she like at School anyway? 

she asked me to finger her but I said no as I had maths homework.  She went off and wrote I Will Always Love You to try to win me round and the rest is history

• Upvote 1

On 24/04/2024 at 11:13, stringvest said:

One of the fellas was in a band called The Hootenanays or similar and they sounded like a country influenced band,possibly?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Oh, so now Abba are great lyricists as well.

People's opinions on these things are going to vary. One person might think Abba have great lyrics and you might think they're shite.

Nobody is necessarily correct.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

People's opinions on these things are going to vary. One person might think Abba have great lyrics and you might think they're shite.

Nobody is necessarily correct.

True. But that was not the point of my first post. It was about how status changes over time.

Just now, SasaS said:

True. But that was not the point of my first post. It was about how status changes over time.

Yeah, that's an interesting point & a lot of factors can be at play in that.

21 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Oh, so now Abba are great lyricists as well.

No.  I was making the point that The Winner Takes It All was written by a man going through a divorce and his wife actually sung it.  It’s not like Taylor Swift writing about that twat from the 1975.