You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Manager Poll (Sans Alonso)

Next Liverpool Manager  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Next Liverpool Manager

• Ruben Amorim
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Julian Nagelsmann
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Marco Silva
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Michel Sanchez
    • Unai Emery
    • Vitor Pereira
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Julen Lopetegui
    • Simone Inzaghi
    • Graham Potter
    • Other (Specify in comments)

18 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

Arsenal absolutely choked 4th when he was there, they had it in their grasp and they choked at home to Crystal Palace if i remember rightly. He was underwhelming at PSG. So that's two jobs where he's been expected to do something and ended up being sacked. Not a good record in the Champions League either. He's a good manager but he isn't top level.

Before Arsenal played Villa yesterday they probably laughed at us choking the league despite it being in our grasp, doesn't make Klopp a bad manager and your season isn't defined from 1 game. You also have to look where Arsenal were the season before and what backing he had, they finished 6th on 63 points and his major signings were Torreira and Leno for £25m. He may well have been underwhelming at PSG but he did better in his 2 years there than Ancelotti's 2 years there.

For me what he's done with taking Villarreal to a CL semi and the job he's done at Villa, he's earned a chance to manage at another top club, whether that be here or somewhere else I have no idea.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

My biggest worry is Edwards trying  to show how clever he is and employing some university teacher whose thesis on stats and sport was an eye opener.

Nothing wrong with that. 

It's patently absurd to think we're only looking at a very thin slice of managerial candidates for a role that is perhaps 90% about psychology. 

Edwards is now my idol.  I don't think we'll miss Klopp from a footballing perspective, and I think that's been the case since he had whatever health scare he had that he has never been honest about.  

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Binomial said:

Before Arsenal played Villa yesterday they probably laughed at us choking the league despite it being in our grasp, doesn't make Klopp a bad manager and your season isn't defined from 1 game. You also have to look where Arsenal were the season before and what backing he had, they finished 6th on 63 points and his major signings were Torreira and Leno for £25m. He may well have been underwhelming at PSG but he did better in his 2 years there than Ancelotti's 2 years there.

For me what he's done with taking Villarreal to a CL semi and the job he's done at Villa, he's earned a chance to manage at another top club, whether that be here or somewhere else I have no idea.

It doesn't make Klopp a bad manager no but he's already done it at the highest level. Emery has done really well at the level below at what we have been since 2018 but never excelled above it including whenever he has been in the Champions League. All the evidence points to him flopping at another top job. If you're looking to win the Europa League then he is your man but we're plainly not. 

37 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

It doesn't make Klopp a bad manager no but he's already done it at the highest level. Emery has done really well at the level below at what we have been since 2018 but never excelled above it including whenever he has been in the Champions League. All the evidence points to him flopping at another top job. If you're looking to win the Europa League then he is your man but we're plainly not. 

Who knows. He has taken Villarreal to a CL semi as well which you have to commend. When you stack up his achievements to someone like Amorim/Ange/De Zerbi/Nagelsmann, yes some have a league win to their name but in a much inferior league or when they were strong favourites, does he really boast a lesser CV than any of them?

Who would be your #1 choice now Xabi has pulled the plug?

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Nothing wrong with that. 

It's patently absurd to think we're only looking at a very thin slice of managerial candidates for a role that is perhaps 90% about psychology. 

Edwards is now my idol.  I don't think we'll miss Klopp from a footballing perspective, and I think that's been the case since he had whatever health scare he had that he has never been honest about.  

You don’t half talk some utter bollocks, Bumcunt.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Binomial said:

For me what he's done with taking Villarreal to a CL semi and the job he's done at Villa, he's earned a chance to manage at another top club, whether that be here or somewhere else I have 

Emery won the Europa League with them, beating the mancs. 

He is a much better option than this Sporting guy. 

I honestly think it's all talk and nonsense. It's Amorim as far as I can see, but until both clubs wrap up the season nobody wants to announce anything so they can spew links for clicks. 

4 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I honestly think it's all talk and nonsense. It's Amorim as far as I can see, but until both clubs wrap up the season nobody wants to announce anything so they can spew links for clicks. 

We were saying similar of Alonso until he turned into a little bitch.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We were saying similar of Alonso until he turned into a little bitch.

And from what was reported the other day tbe job was his and he planned on taking it till Leverkusen convinced him to stay. The days leading up to that the story was already starting that Amorim was more likely. Sporting and their fans would go mental if he announced anything now with a title and Cup to wrap up

5 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Emery is a very good manager but his football is fucking shite to watch. 

Fuck that. It’s gonna be a nasty enough shock next season just not having Klopp here, let alone watching shit, defensive football on top. 

Spot on. I was just about to post the same. I don't want to watch that turgid shit. And someone mentioned he didn't get time at arsenal, but that's what happens when your football is crap. It's win or fuck off. Rightly or wrongly, playing a positive brand of football buys you more time. And I'm already worried about next season. The last few games it feels the crowd has gone very quiet and everyone has almost given up. It might just be because of unusual circumstances with the flag protest and it being the Hillsborough game yesterday. The last thing we need to do watch turgid shite too. 

i wouldnt fancy emery at all

im with lifetime fan, his style of play is horrible, its like Rafa, minus the constant whinging from the manager. 

Put it does way, could you ever imagine an emery team being the highest scorers in the league? i cant....

its going to be the portugese guy, amorim. Im happy enough with that

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't really care about being the highest scorers in the league, I'd just like to win it. No idea if Amorim or Emery is better placed to do that.

As I said before, negative managers don't get the same chance though. If their football is shit and they don't win, nobody gives them time. And if they do win and stop winning, there's still almost zero tolerance. It's really not as simple as saying "who gives us the best chance of winning", because they don't get the same opportunity to get there. It's part of why emery didn't get more time at arsenal, because the football was absolutely shit.

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

As I said before, negative managers don't get the same chance though. If their football is shit and they don't win, nobody gives them time. And if they do win and stop winning, there's still almost zero tolerance. It's really not as simple as saying "who gives us the best chance of winning", because they don't get the same opportunity to get there. It's part of why emery didn't get more time at arsenal, because the football was absolutely shit.

I'm well aware of that. 

I'm only saying what I personally prefer, so it is as simple as that for me. I'm not selecting the manager. I'd simply rather a more pragmatic manager who was actually taking steps to address problems with the team than one who was basically buying himself time by playing six up front.

And actually what you say is only relevant in the UK, certainly to this degree. Football is about winning in Italy, for example. Not being a big brave lion, or "getting on the front foot". 

17 hours ago, Binomial said:

Who knows. He has taken Villarreal to a CL semi as well which you have to commend. When you stack up his achievements to someone like Amorim/Ange/De Zerbi/Nagelsmann, yes some have a league win to their name but in a much inferior league or when they were strong favourites, does he really boast a lesser CV than any of them?

Who would be your #1 choice now Xabi has pulled the plug?

I would probably still go for Amorim. He's going to have won two league titles if/when he takes it. He doesn't really fit my criteria of having a good record in the Champions League though but it's slim pickings.