You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ruben Amorim

I have a soft spot for BMG but they are a feast or famine club. Wouldn't base much on a poor season there. Seems a winning coach everywhere else he's been. 

Less sure about Slot, just never convinced by anyone that hasn't worked outside the Netherlands. But, same could be said about amorim.

Ornstein is usually on the money with this stuff and has said De Zerbi is very unlikely.

I'm really concerned that it could be Howe. Didn't mind him before he went to Newcastle but he has been a nasty little weasel the whole time he's been there and has gone from playing decent football at Bournemouth to snidey shithouse anti-football at Newcastle.

But the real issue I have with him is the "joint management partnership" he has with that wanker Jason Tindall. In terms of personality Tindall is the polar opposite of anyone we should be considering working at Liverpool FC in any capacity. I had hoped that the "no dickheads" rule was bought into by Edwards as much as Klopp but if we're considering Howe & Tindall then it hasn't been, sadly.

34 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

That ‘bold not popular’ comment worries me they’re seriously considering Thomas Frank. 

Could be former Liverpool supporter Ole Gunnar Solskjær, that would certainly be bold and certainly not popular. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Frank also wouldn't be a terrible gamble, varied his style quite a lot around promotion, very smart guy, but would be highly reliant on the players buying in as I think he's quite a different character.

Howe can fuck off, that can't be a serious rumour...

17 hours ago, Red74 said:

Took a club on its arse to the title in no time in a one horse league and got them deep into Europe leaving them set up for a final when he left and that was his first job in management. 

Swear to god some our fans would put fucking Hodgson back in before even considering him for it. 

Was driven out of villa by a gormless fan base helped by a rabid media when others like Arteta had similar runs of bad form with far better teams but got the time to correct them. Emery stunk the place out at arsenal and everyone despised him yet there’s callings for him to come here.

*awkwardly whistles while refusing to make eye contact*

The money talk with Amorim might be bullshit of course, but I don't think it's outlandish to think that many potential managers, with options, will consider the financial package before choosing which club.  If FSG don't want to pay up we'll be left behind, and I suspect they'll only offer the big bucks to someone proven so we might end up with someone that no one else (of note) particularly wants.

20 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Gerrard at Villa

P 40

W 13

D 8

L 19

32.5% Win percentage 

Emery 'stinking the place up at Arsenal'

P 78

W 43

D  16

L 19

55% Win percentage 

P 278

W 109

D 78

L 83

40% win 

Shite from Gerrard. 

Hold on, sorry that's Klopp at Mainz. 

49 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

P 278

W 109

D 78

L 83

40% win 

Shite from Gerrard. 

Hold on, sorry that's Klopp at Mainz. 

Yes let's compare Klopp taking over a midtable Bundesliga 2 club in Mainz sitting in the relegation zone, a side who'd never been in the Bundesliga to Gerrard taking over Villa. A side he had well on its way to relegation with 8pts from 11 games to a side Emery got to 7th with 53pts from 27 games with the same players. But you know all this and are either completely delusional or on a wind up

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Baltar said:

The real reason FSG won't hire Amorim is that it'll cost £20M to buy him out of his contract. Cheaper options are available for our tight arse owners.

I always find it odd when clubs (any, not just ours) will only pay 15m for a manager to get him out of his contract, but not 20m, or whatever. Yet, they dump tens of millions on shit squad players who get binned off for a third of their fee 12/24 months later.

Klopp has probably been worth about two billion quid to our owners. Penny pinching on managers seems such a stupid, short sighted, thing to do.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I always find it odd when clubs (any, not just ours) will only pay 15m for a manager to get him out of his contract, but not 20m, or whatever. Yet, they dump tens of millions on shit squad players who get binned off for a third of their fee 12/24 months later.

Klopp has probably been worth about two billion quid to our owners. Penny pinching on managers seems such a stupid, short sighted, thing to do.

Players get binned off for a third of the fee having lost an additional amortization fee per year they're at the club so you can balance the books (or close too) when you sell a player.

You can't sell a manager if he's not performing so you get hit twice once with the fee to buy him and once with the exceptional cost of releasing him and his staff so that extra few million could be massive for your bottom line (ask Chelsea)

That said, Ornstein is saying Amorim's fee would be closer to 10m and reports earlier suggest Slot's fee would be similar so it's largely irrelevant.

I very much doubt the Amorim decision has anything to do with penny pinching on wages or release fee. It will be something to do with what he wants to do with the squad and formation/tactics or demand for certain players. 

Or he was just one of many on a list given more importance in the media because the Portugese press are more talkative.

I don't think we're working down a list of managerial preferences I think we were narrowing down our requirements and filtering out the outliers.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Or he was just one of many on a list given more importance in the media because the Portugese press are more talkative.

I don't think we're working down a list of preferences we're narrowing down our requirements.

To be fair, Slot and Amorim seem a bit cut from the same cloth in terms of their career path and achievements. I don't think that's a coincidence.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

To be fair, Slot and Amorim seem a bit cut from the same cloth in terms of their career path and achievements. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Yep and when you're narrowing it down towards the end it'll be the smaller things that take on greater importance, as he said like the tactical familiarity/preference and background checks while the larger group's will be excluded based more heavily on data.

It'll be more Big group > medium sized group > Small Group > Final Few more than it would specifics like Alonso > Amorim > Slot > someone else as it's being portrayed elsewhere.