You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Local Elections 2023

skend04

65 has already been conceded as being too low....75 was then proposed.

I stand by my opinion on the matter for all the reasons already stated.

If you are over 75 do you have to continue to pay taxes in this scenario?

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We aren't disagreeing on that, that is my point as well - can you join the army there at 16? Drink here is different than over there.

See my previous post - it is being considered here as well for the same reasons. 

Yeah, sorry, just re-read your earlier post. And yes, you can join the army in the UK at 16 (with parental permission and you can't see combat until 18).

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, an tha said:

You can propose 95 for all I care ill continue to disagree with you and suggest that your reasons are fatuous and come down to "well we can't trust that group of people to make the right call its only people in the x, y , z group can do that". A lot of people in that x,y,z group voted for Johnson and Trump. But we will leave it there.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you are over 75 do you have to continue to pay taxes in this scenario?

As already stated (it can't be an exact science but ideally)

"No taxation without representation” are said to be watchwords of democracy. Perhaps the formulation should be reversed — no representation without paying taxes. Why should those who no longer make a contribution to the state be allowed a disproportionate role in choosing governments and therefore how the taxes people do pay are spent"

I feel it is more sensible though to make an explicit connection between working and voting, which opens up a new discussion while recognising the needs of the working-age sick and disabled and stay-at-home mothers for example.

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, an tha said:

As already stated (it can't be an exact science but ideally)

"No taxation without representation” are said to be watchwords of democracy. Perhaps the formulation should be reversed — no representation without paying taxes. Why should those who no longer make a contribution to the state be allowed a disproportionate role in choosing governments and therefore how the taxes people do pay are spent"

I feel it is more sensible though to make an explicit connection between working and voting, which opens up a new discussion while recognising the needs of the working-age sick and disabled and stay-at-home mothers for example.

Are you suggesting that the unemployed shouldn't have the right to vote?

9 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Are you suggesting that the unemployed shouldn't have the right to vote?

There'd be an argument to include the unemployed in with the already mentioned example groups in my post above.

• Downvote 1

He's just an angry imbecile. Frustrated that his success isn't matching his ego so found a way to elevate himself by appealing to the ignorant. He makes the world an insignifactly amount worse than it would be if he was never in it. Maybe his kids will be great people and in the end his contribution ends up being a positive one in spite of his character.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I mentioned the EU paying folks being allowed to vote in the General - similar to when ex Pats were included in the last age change - hasn't been discussed here at all.

What thinks you?

Dunno.  Not put that much thought into it.

4 minutes ago, whtwht said:

My vote Count BinFace did well beat Britain First at least.

There was a lovely tongue in cheek thing on the Gruniad...

4116.jpg?width=700&dpr=2&s=none

Captioned with...

'Labour’s Sadiq Khan, the re-elected mayor of London, shakes hands with fellow candidate, Count Binface, at the announcement of the election results at City Hall'

I love that this nonsense is part of British politics.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Another clown raises his head above the parapet.

image.png

There are no "No go zones".

Crime is not "exploding".

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/feb/26/fact-check-has-sadiq-khan-really-overseen-a-surge-in-london

I assume there aren't any anarchists running riot on the streets; at least, they've never been on the news if they are.

There is no "war on cars". There are people who prioritise breathing over driving.

I assume he means nightlife, which is on the decline all over the country for reasons that have nothing to do with Khan.

Apart from that, great tweet, Dan (as fucking ever).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3