You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What are your top 10 1990s films?

Tony Moanero

Pulp Fiction

Goodfellas

Jurassic Park

Shawshank Redemption

Tombstone

Trainspotting

True Romance

A Time to Kill

A Few Good Men 

Carlitos Way

I always feel bad putting Schindlers List in anything like this because it's hardly an enjoyable experience despite it being a cinematic masterpiece. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Pulp Fiction

Goodfellas

Jurassic Park

Shawshank Redemption

Tombstone

Trainspotting

True Romance

A Time to Kill

A Few Good Men 

Carlitos Way

I always feel bad putting Schindlers List in anything like this because it's hardly an enjoyable experience despite it being a cinematic masterpiece. 

• Upvote 2

My memory is bad so I ended up checking half the decade's films on wiki to fill the list, this is close I think even if I've forgot some :

The Matrix

Dark City

The X-Files: Fight the Future

Heat

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Existenz

12 Monkeys

The Fifth Element

Fight Club

Pulp Fiction

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

My memory is bad so I ended up checking half the decade's films on wiki to fill the list, this is close I think even if I've forgot some :

The Matrix

Dark City

The X-Files: Fight the Future

Heat

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Existenz

12 Monkeys

The Fifth Element

Fight Club

Pulp Fiction

I don't really like to detail these threads but just have to say Existenz is probably in my top three worst films I've ever seen. Just unbelievably awful.

I'll post my top 10 shortly.

I remember listening to something a while ago (maybe a 99% invisible) that suggested the reason why there was a sudden increase in indie films that made it big (and their associated directors) was the rise of the cinemaplex in the states i.e. that numerous other screens had to be filled and studios were more inclined to take a punt on outre stuff as they were ranking in substantial profits from their larger releases due to the increased number of screens in larger out of town cinemas. This then created a cycle where greater risk taking on lesser known directors and film concepts started to be normalised.

40 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

Bollocks, I forgot about True Romance.

Oh and you can't have Donnie Darko, that's 2001 ish.

Fuck, I could've sworn that came out when I was at college (97-99).

I'll swap it for Awakenings 

8 hours ago, Mook said:

I don't really like to detail these threads but just have to say Existenz is probably in my top three worst films I've ever seen. Just unbelievably awful.

I thought it was good as a weird and original take on the simulated reality type of film, liked the way it ended too and still think it could've had a sequel. It probably wouldn't make a top 10 all time favourite list but for 90's I think it's there and it'd probably make an all time top 10 weird film list too.