You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

33 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Feel free to put forward alternative options for that no 10 role.

I don't know, brother. I'm not a big "we should sign this guy" guy anymore. I think there's logic to most players we sign nowadays. If you want a name, I like Paqueta.

I don't think he's a bad player but for reasons I outlined, I don't think Maddison makes sense this summer. Plus I mean, the tier 1 journos have said we're likely not signing anyone.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Michael Edwards getting linked to United. I’m up for it if his plan is to run the cunts into oblivion.

Feels a bit odd that we're letting the guy we routinely herald as some kind of transfer genius just walk out the door.

Would be even more odd if he walked out of the door to a Premier League rival.

Why is he leaving? Are we not paying him competitively? Or is he sick of being told 'next season'?

49 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Feels a bit odd that we're letting the guy we routinely herald as some kind of transfer genius just walk out the door.

Why is he leaving? Are we not paying him competitively? Or is he sick of being told 'next season'?

Henry fucked his wife.

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

ESPN say Chelsea want him.

Let's hope we change the password on the scouting database as soon as he's out of the door.

1 hour ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Anyway, wasn't the word on the street that he didn't approve of Hendo and Milner getting new deals and there was some mild disagreement with Klopp who wanted them both to stay and forced the issue through?

3 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

I suspect it’s the same principle as our player recruitment in that we believe the team is better than sum of its parts, and Edward’s contribution to the recruitment team is not worth the money he asked for. 

5 hours ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

The story that was pushed when he first quit is he wants to go in a completely different direction. I guess we'll see shortly. I saw something the other week, he's not allowed to join anyone till the end of this window. I don't know how true that is. 

57 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

My alternative option is not Maddison.

You have a weird fetish for good not great, overly valued, English players.

Not convinced how weird it really is, Maddison’s numbers were very good last season; he was directly involved in 20 goals last season (12 goals + 8 assists) in by some distance the best league in the world, and people keep saying we need goals from midfield. Again, I’m open to different ideas, so feel free to chuck yours in. 

13 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Not convinced how weird it really is, Maddison’s numbers were very good last season; he was directly involved in 20 goals last season (12 goals + 8 assists) in by some distance the best league in the world, and people keep saying we need goals from midfield. Again, I’m open to different ideas, so feel free to chuck yours in. 

He pretty much has a free role though doesn't he? He doesn't do the real work we require of our midfield. 

If, as reported and seems likely, we’re going 4-2-3-1 more next season, I’d really like to see Curtis Jones given a run of games at “10”. 

It’s let’s his attacking instincts flourish more, he be more of the maverick he came into the squad being and he won’t have to do as much of the defensive side. 

Likely a make or break year for Curtis. 

Maddison had a good year in a terrible Leicester side last year. He's never going to be a target for us, he'd be far too expensive for us to leave him on the bench most weeks and he wouldn't get into the first eleven without significantly improving his defensive output and ball retention, so it's a non starter really. Good player though. Could play Champions League for someone, just not us.

• Upvote 2

Ox's numbers on fbref are indeed very impressive in some respects. One thing that sticks out is his shocking number of completed passes, though.

The fact he was almost completely ostracised by Klopp in the second half of the season probably says more about where he is than any set of numbers on fbref, though.

Not arsed about Michael Edwards going to a rival. He’s not gonna have Jurgen Klopp to take his players up half a dozen levels and that’s the key ingredient. Plus any sort of secret weapon he might have had in the field of analysis will be common place at most top clubs by now.

28 minutes ago, etho said:

Think we might see more variations in terms of set up, but I just can't see us ditching the 4-3-3 anytime soon and playing with a dedicated number 10

I agree. Klopp has tweaked how the front 6 (8 if you count the full backs) just about every season, but staying in that 433 framework since pretty much we went 433. I don't expect next season to be any different. 

2 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Ox's numbers on fbref are indeed very impressive in some respects. One thing that sticks out is his shocking number of completed passes, though.

The fact he was almost completely ostracised by Klopp in the second half of the season probably says more about where he is than any set of numbers on fbref, though.

Haha. Yes. Klopp sent a clear message last season. And I've not bothered to look at the stats, because they can tell you the completely wrong story. But really, so what if he ran around a.lot and broke into the final 3rd if we never retained or recovered possession. 

7 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Not arsed about Michael Edwards going to a rival. He’s not gonna have Jurgen Klopp to take his players up half a dozen levels and that’s the key ingredient. Plus any sort of secret weapon he might have had in the field of analysis will be common place at most top clubs by now.

Yeah, but he might move their analysis away from how many Instagram followers a player has to something to do with what they do on the pitch.

To be honest (and I might be wrong here), but I can't think of any top line director of football type who has been able to transfer those skills to another club with the same success. 

54 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He pretty much has a free role though doesn't he? He doesn't do the real work we require of our midfield. 

Hence the caveat being if we’re set on having 4-2-3-1 as a genuine option.