You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Movie Franchise - Quarter Finals - Lord of the Rings vs Godfather

Bjornebye

Movie Franchise - Quarter Finals - Lord of the Rings vs Godfather  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Movie Franchise - Quarter Finals - Lord of the Rings vs Godfather

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/02/21 at 09:07

6 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Why not, they both picked up Oscars for Best Picture.

Watched Godfather I & II over Christmas and they were both still fresh and just brilliant films

If LoTR was on I wouldn't bother watching any of them

Seen them enough times and they were great but I'm just not interested in them any more

Still annoys me that he got the Shire so wrong and no Tom Bombadil

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Watched Godfather I & II over Christmas and they were both still fresh and just brilliant films

If LoTR was on I wouldn't bother watching any of them

Seen them enough times and they were great but I'm just not interested in them any more

Still annoys me that he got the Shire so wrong and no Tom Bombadil

Always imagine Tom Bombadil as a Brian Blessed type. Not sure a Merry guy hoping around singing songs would have changed the tone of the early part of the film though. Can see why he didn’t make the cut. 

The 300 or so pages up to Bree or even Rivendell is almost a whole film in itself though. Love that part of LOTR. Shame they missed off Tom, the elves, being stalked by the Barrow-Wights, getting to Frodo’s new house, the bit with Farmer Maggot and the Black Riders making more appearances...etc.

Still can’t decide on this one, might not vote.

Bakshi cut Tom Bombadil from his LOTR cartoon too, which suggests he is essentially superfluous to the plot.

Any film adaptation from a well loved novel (and The Godfather itself is no exception here) is probably going to upset some fans by altering or removing characters and subplots.

48 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Still annoys me that he got the Shire so wrong...

Was only skim reading your post and thought you were on about Talia Shire for a minute there! 

Always puzzles me how she gets a raw deal off the (very) odd person.  Yes she has a certain acting style, as many actors do, but she's perfect for the role. 

48 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Always imagine Tom Bombadil as a Brian Blessed type. Not sure a Merry guy hoping around singing songs would have changed the tone of the early part of the film though. Can see why he didn’t make the cut. 

The 300 or so pages up to Bree or even Rivendell is almost a whole film in itself though. Love that part of LOTR. Shame they missed off Tom, the elves, being stalked by the Barrow-Wights, getting to Frodo’s new house, the bit with Farmer Maggot and the Black Riders making more appearances...etc.

Still can’t decide on this one, might not vote.

Yeah, the first book's got a much lighter tone than the second two, it's more like a continuation of The Hobbit than an epic in the making. I'm sure I read that he wrote the first one before WW2 and the others after, so the increasing darkness of tone might have been influenced by that. As for the film, I'm quite glad they didn't bother with much of it, even as it is, there's still an hour or so of whimsical fairytale scene setting before things liven up- having Bombadil prancing around after that would have killed it.