You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Kiwanuka vs George Benson

Bjornebye

Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Kiwanuka vs George Benson  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Male Solo Artist - Round 1 - Michael Kiwanuka vs George Benson

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/10/20 at 17:09

4 hours ago, Mook said:

He's very popular on here at the moment so was always going to be in with a shout in terms of the top 64.

George Benson is a weird one, he was a monster on those CTI albums in the mid 70s but then lost the plot going into the 80s. I'm guessing he's on here for the 80s pish rather than his 70s fusion stuff so Michael Kiwanuka gets my vote.

You know I love Kiwanuka just as much as you do, but he’s got no place in the 64 best male solo artists of all time. George Benson hasn’t either though to be fair.  

I’ve voted for him though in solidarity with my veggie brother @Remmie

Out of the 64 there are quite a few I don’t think should be in it, but these six definitely not. At least not while Dean Martin didn’t make the cut:

Michael Kiwanuka

George Benson

Shakin’ Stevens 

David Ruffin (as a solo artist anyway)

Beck

Billy Bragg

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

You know I love Kiwanuka just as much as you do, but he’s got no place in the 64 best male solo artists of all time. George Benson hasn’t either though to be fair.  

I’ve voted for him though in solidarity with my veggie brother @Remmie

Out of the 64 there are quite a few I don’t think should be in it, but these six definitely not. At least not while Dean Martin didn’t make the cut:

Michael Kiwanuka

George Benson

Shakin’ Stevens 

David Ruffin (as a solo artist anyway)

Beck

Billy Bragg

I sort of agree with the Rem though that a lot of older artists get a boost just from being old.

Someone who released three good albums in the sixties is automatically considered better than someone who released three good albums in the 2000s. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I sort of agree with the Rem though that a lot of older artists get a boost just from being old.

Someone who released three good albums in the sixties is automatically considered better than someone who released three good albums in the 2000s. 

That’s not a point I was arguing against. I’ve also said David Ruffin and George Benson shouldn’t be in it and they are hardly recent artists. 

I disagree with what you’re saying anyway tbh. I’m not sure a lot of older artists get a boost just because they’re old. In fact, that seems a really weird point to make. Most of them have got a bigger body of work than contemporary artists and their work has stood the test of time.

You’ve also got to consider things like influence and innovation which I think you’re bound to get more of in older artists than newer ones. That’s not to say they get picked just for being ‘old’ though, it’s just that people can see their careers, and the impact of them, more clearly.

What male solo artists from the 2000s and 2010s are a glaring omission from this tournament? Are there any? 

Off the top of my head I can only remember Remmie asking for Dan Auerbach who, let’s be honest, isn’t a solo artist. He’s had two low key solo albums in his whole career. And Paolo Nutini maybe? Someone asked for him anyway. Neither of them should be anywhere near the best 64 male solo artists off all time. Not because they’re not old but because they’re not good enough. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

That’s not a point I was arguing against. I’ve also said David Ruffin and George Benson shouldn’t be in it and they are hardly recent artists. 

I disagree with what you’re saying anyway tbh. I’m not sure a lot of older artists get a boost just because they’re old. In fact, that seems a really weird point to make. Most of them have got a bigger body of work than contemporary artists and their work has stood the test of time.

You’ve also got to consider things like influence and innovation which I think you’re bound to get more of in older artists than newer ones. That’s not to say they get picked just for being ‘old’ though, it’s just that people can see their careers, and the impact of them, more clearly.

What male solo artists from the 2000s and 2010s are a glaring omission from this tournament? Are there any? 

Off the top of my head I can only remember Remmie asking for Dan Auerbach who, let’s be honest, isn’t a solo artist. He’s had two low key solo albums in his whole career. And Paolo Nutini maybe? Someone asked for him anyway. Neither of them should be anywhere near the best 64 male solo artists off all time. Not because they’re not old but because they’re not good enough. 

I wasn’t really replying to you I suppose, more making a general point in agreement with Rem but doing it while quoting your post.

It’s the “test of time” and “influence and innovation thing” that I suppose I have the issue with regarding older artists automatically being seen as better than current ones. 

But again, that’s probably a more general point looking at all the music tournaments rather than just this solo male one.

6 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Why has Kiwanuka got no place in the greatest 64 of all time? By your own admission, you love him. 1 reason and 1 reason only; he's contemporary. Are you honestly saying that you prefer 64 other male solo singers yet still love MK? It's frustrating nostalgia bias nonsense. 

Yeah I am taking this one badly, the one contemporary artist that the forum seems to absolutely adore is still getting soundly beaten by some generic 70s crooner no mark. If people don't know both artists and listen to the 2 examples in the OP, who in their right mind thinks the Benson one sounds better?

As for my list, they are just musicians I really like, I haven't chosen them on general popularity, record sales or influence over time, just simply who I like listening to. I guess this all harks back to why I don't like music threads generally, it's just down to personal taste. 

42 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Why has Kiwanuka got no place in the greatest 64 of all time? By your own admission, you love him. 1 reason and 1 reason only; he's contemporary. Are you honestly saying that you prefer 64 other male solo singers yet still love MK? It's frustrating nostalgia bias nonsense. 

Yeah I am taking this one badly, the one contemporary artist that the forum seems to absolutely adore is still getting soundly beaten by some generic 70s crooner no mark. If people don't know both artists and listen to the 2 examples in the OP, who in their right mind thinks the Benson one sounds better?

As for my list, they are just musicians I really like, I haven't chosen them on general popularity, record sales or influence over time, just simply who I like listening to. I guess this all harks back to why I don't like music threads generally, it's just down to personal taste. 

George Benson is no generic 70's no mark Rem. He's a great artist and well worthy of a place on any list. 

That's not to say Kiwanuka isn't a great singer, he is.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Never heard of Kiwanuka and even if he is a great singer he hasn't got a big enough body of work yet. That's why these are 'oldies' contests because longevity is a major factor.

Michael Kiwanuka's recording career (7 years & counting) is longer than The Doors lasted with Jim Morrison (4 years) so I'm not sure that's strictly true.

I read a lot of these 'I've never heard of such & such but here's my opinion anyway' comments & think, well why don't you go off & find out about them before spouting. YouTube, Spotify & Wikipedia are only a click away. I've learned a few things from these tournaments, it's good to learn.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, John102 said:

All valid points.

Michael Kiwanuka, however, isn't one of the greatest 64 solo artists of all time. For openness, neither is Billy Bragg.

He might be for some people. It's not like there is some objective list that we are searching for, a holy grail of validated top 64 artists. 

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Michael Kiwanuka's recording career (7 years & counting) is longer than The Doors lasted with Jim Morrison (4 years) so I'm not sure that's strictly true.

I read a lot of these 'I've never heard of such & such but here's my opinion anyway' comments & think, well why don't you go off & find out about them before spouting. YouTube, Spotify & Wikipedia are only a click away. I've learned a few things from these tournaments, it's good to learn.

I think by longevity, people mean that somebody's body of work is still relevant / liked / remembered after several decades or many years, which is the case with The Doors. The Kiwanuka guy is, it seems, popular now but his body of work may fade into obscurity in the future.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

7 years is nothing. I also didn't vote for The Doors and that was a band contest not a solo artist competition.

16 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

7 years is nothing. I also didn't vote for The Doors and that was a band contest not a solo artist competition.

The Beatles' recording career didn't last much longer than seven years.

I didn't realise longevity only counted in solo artist contests, my apologies.

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

I like him but there are dozens of male solo artists I like more. Probably a lot more than 64. And yeah, he’s clearly got no place in this.

You’ve got a really strange habit of moaning if someone votes for an older artist over a more recent one and assigning mad theories for why they do so. Maybe the music was just better back then and people like it more? You’ve just called George Benson a generic 70s crooner no mark. Come on. 

Since you’re keen to psychoanalyse the forum then, in return, it seems to me that you don’t know much about music which is why you get upset then people vote against the odd artist you do like because you don’t know anything about the alternative.

There’s no conspiracy about people liking music from the 60s and 70s. It was a golden age for music. Similarly, a lot of people on here would agree the last 20 years or so for TV is a golden age compared to the 60s and 70s, rather than just insisting the old stuff was better.

2 hours ago, Mook said:

Right, but to be clear it’s Remmie who is doing that here with George Benson? 

7 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I like him but there are dozens of male solo artists I like more. Probably a lot more than 64. And yeah, he’s clearly got no place in this.

You’ve got a really strange habit of moaning if someone votes for an older artist over a more recent one and assigning mad theories for why they do so. Maybe the music was just better back then and people like it more? You’ve just called George Benson a generic 70s crooner no mark. Come on. 

Since you’re keen to psychoanalyse the forum then, in return, it seems to me that you don’t know much about music which is why you get upset then people vote against the odd artist you do like because you don’t know anything about the alternative.

There’s no conspiracy about people liking music from the 60s and 70s. It was a golden age for music. Similarly, a lot of people on here would agree the last 20 years or so for TV is a golden age compared to the 60s and 70s, rather than just insisting the old stuff was better.

Right, but to be clear it’s Remmie who is doing that here with George Benson? 

It's not just the odd tie where the older band gets through though is it? It's every single one. Nirvana got eliminated in the first round or something, didn't they?

To be honest I don't actually disagree with too much of what you are saying and you are right about me not knowing too many older artists, I'm way too lazy to be a proper music fan. 

I don't know where you got the conspiracy theory stuff from though

9 minutes ago, Mook said:

There are various people doing it all over these threads.

A few, but it can be hard to differentiate sometimes from people who do know the artist but just don’t like them. 

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

It's not just the odd tie where the older band gets through though is it? It's every single one. Nirvana got eliminated in the first round or something, didn't they?

To be honest I don't actually disagree with too much of what you are saying and you are right about me not knowing too many older artists, I'm way too lazy to be a proper music fan. 

I don't know where you got the conspiracy theory stuff from though

They got knocked out second round but to a band that ended up going all the way to the final. And they knocked out The Talking Heads first round who are a pretty big and influential older band. 

Don’t pretend you’re not sitting there right now watching YouTube videos about how they faked the moon landing and JFK getting shot. 

• Upvote 1